03/18 - Sleepy Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concise

Buddhist Bacchante
Reaction score
Question: if you saw a VERY OFFENSIVELY TITLED study on Prolific, with many offensive words....
would you write Prolific about it?
The description of the study includes half a dozen racial slurs that are derogatory.

I considered pasting it here, but do not want to confuse anyone that these words are words I condone.

UPDATE: I copied the text and sent it to Prolific. It's so offensive though, I almost didn't want to, as I did not want to be associated with their language choices. Was way over the top. An example would be, the title used the N word. And that was the same level of offensiveness as the other 6 or so used.

Last edited:

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Question: if you saw a VERY OFFENSIVELY TITLED study on Prolific, with many offensive words....
The description of the study includes half a dozen racial slurs that are derogatory.

I considered pasting it here, but do not want to confuse anyone that these words are words I condone.

UPDATE: I copied the text and sent it to Prolific. It's so offensive though, I almost didn't want to, as I did not want to be associated with their language choices. Was way over the top. An example would be, the title used the N word. And that was the same level of offensiveness as the other 6 or so used.
The hit you are referring to just popped up in my queue -

Concise

Buddhist Bacchante
Reaction score
The hit you are referring to just popped up in my queue -
Re: offensive racial slur titled study on Prolific today

Thank you for letting me know, I was not the only one seeing that.

Reactions: HelloHello

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
i saw that. i didn't report as i figured tons would already be doing so. while it's a legit requester that was on mturk and now on prolific and who i do lots of work for on prolific, i get the point about what the study might be about but was saddened by them not writing their study summary nicer and less offensive. not sure if someone at that requester will be canned or if that requester barred from prolific over this.

i didn't do this one as the title leads me to believe i'm not the racial demographic they want to respond.

Concise

Buddhist Bacchante
Reaction score
i'm getting the feeling the offensive task was due to a hacker or rouge resarcher at the requester's institution.
My perception is that it was hacked. in 5 years on that platform, I've never seen something like that. Also it was lowest pay, lowest time estimate so... I find the sadist researchers on these platforms, correlate with cheap pay usually. Those two behaviors commonly happen together - abusive language and crap pay.

It vibed like a hacker, because the one line with the litany of racial slurs... was obviously offensive and directly insulting. It wasn't couching any terms, it was just hate speech, obviously. I appreciate people sharing their experience.

TissueHime

Thread Maker Extraordinaire
Threaderator
Reaction score
1 hour left for dibs!
if you do call it, please tag me or else I might miss it

Status
Not open for further replies.