Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

06/21 - Mental Awareness Wednesday

Discussion in 'Daily Work Threads' started by humbleturker, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humbleturker

humbleturker
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • HIT Poster
    Welcome to today's MTurk Crowd work thread!

Please check out the forum guidelines.
    Maybe you need some help getting started?
    Want more info about how the forum works?
    NEW! Would you like to contribute an idea about the future of the forum? Feel free to share your thoughts here.
    Please let a mod know if you have any questions, and have a great turking day! - MTC staff

Hi everyone!

Been a little over a month since I had last done this and wanted to post an update on myself as well as seeing if any folks here want to check in with how they're doing with life or whatever is going on inside the mind.

Also, if you're not familiar with this, I just encourage people to share their stories of how they themselves have been impacted by mental health in the past and currently. It's a topic that should not be seen as taboo and one that needs to be discusses far more often than it does in the real world. Too often we're told to act tough or to show a tough exterior, but in reality that can only get you so far before internally you start to take a beating. At least, this is my experience anyway.

I have had OCD for all of my life basically. Each day is another chapter in this ever growing book of struggles that I've been dealing with for many years. That being said, my willpower is strong and I firmly believe that I will conquer this for good one day. I think I deserve a life of happiness, and that's exactly the plan I have in mind for myself. This past weekend was surprisingly tough for me, but the amount of good work helped distract me from what was running a muck in my head. It's a learning experience, and one that I'm appreciative of as it will help me towards total happiness in the future.

So tell us, with no judgment held from us, what you're going through and maybe what you're doing on a day in, day out basis to improve. For those that are checking in, what has been done in the past 5 or so weeks (or what has happened) that has impacted your life and that you've learned from. All discussions on this topic are welcomed.

This is a place for not breaking down each other but building up each other. Mental health concerns is something that nearly everyone goes through at some point in their life. I'm sure mods and admins will monitor any averse activity.

So that's the plan of the theme of this thread. Tell each other what's going on, with no judgment. We're a family here, non-traditional or otherwise. I know turking can be a grind, but the interactions with each other doesn't have to be to the mind. You might learn that someone is going through the exact same thing or has the exact same condition you're dealing with. You are truly never alone. This can open up a whole new realm of positivity in your lives, and I really hope that you all appreciate these check-ins as much as I do.

Let's kick ass today. I believe in every single one of you.

[​IMG]

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Peachy

Peachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    • Pollster
    PeachyRider has entered the thread

[​IMG]

3. <Gucci>

<Gucci>
    Expand Collapse
    Francis Manancis ...fuck you...

• Threaderator
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • HIT Poster
    • Mentor
    Thank you @humbleturker@humbleturker for doing this for members of this community.
    I want to remind everyone that although you may have a label or a condition I see so much more than just those things in each and every one of you....
    I'm friendly and looking forward to turking with everyone today.

Oh and I just love insomnia :facepalm2:

4. GenericPear

GenericPear
    Expand Collapse
    Good Boy

• Contributor
    well
    would you look at what I found
    :spider:

5. Kerek

Kerek
    Expand Collapse
    Red Cat-Bear

• Crowd Pleaser
    • Contributor
    Boris!

Edit: I disavow the tactics employed in the final verse, for the next ten days, then wholeheartedly embrace them again.

#5 Kerek, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  6. Peachy

Peachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    • Pollster
    Title: Category Learning and Attitudes(~ 40 minutes) | PANDA
    Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
    Requester: Surveyer [A2V9TSXQ352UA5] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 2.54] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 3.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 44] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $4.74/hr] [Pen: 0.08 days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: -- of 0] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    In this study you will play a number of category-learning games and answer questions about your personal attitudes and preferences.
    Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward: $1.75
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not greater than 500000; Exc: [-1282156002-47306] has not been granted; TP Panel: -669449200 N is not less than 100; Location is one of: CA, US; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95;
    HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.21.10
    took me 12 mins going slow

7. turkleton

turkleton
    Expand Collapse
    Muddarator

It's a snek.

Binxybaby and Kerek like this.
  8. turkleton

turkleton
    Expand Collapse
    Muddarator

:sleep:

Kerek likes this.
  9. Peachy

Peachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    • Pollster
    turkleton likes this.
  10. Concise

Concise
    Expand Collapse
    Buddhist Bacchante

11. Peachy

Peachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    • Pollster
  12. Michele

Michele
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    easterbasketcasey and Mr. Krabs like this.
  13. Michele

Michele
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    Title: Solve some verbal ability items and earn 12 bucks | PANDA
    Requester: SuperCareer [A1VFHDQ7AOHHBD] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 5.00] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 0.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 2] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    Not Available
    Description: During this HIT, you will be asked a wide variety of questions related to sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, and spelling.
    Time: 7 days
    Reward: $12.00
    Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 98; Location is US;

14. Melly

Melly
    Expand Collapse
    Pew Pew!

• Contributor
    • Sole Survivor
    Title: Write a brief comment about a product or service for a website proof-of-concept | PANDA
    Requester: MAD Labs [AH3L9684FUCS6] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 4.03] [Fast: 4.29] [Comm: 2.91] [Fair: 4.17] [Reviews: 47] [ToS: 3]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $12.50/hr] [Pen: 1.00 days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 100% of 2] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    You will write five brief comments about your perception of how well 5 products or services solve a given problem. Your comments will be used in a non-commercial website prototype.
    Time: 5 hours
    Reward: $2.50
    Qualifications: Location is US;
    7 minutes for me because I had trouble writing.

#14 Melly, Jun 21, 2017
    Michele likes this.
  15. Melly

Melly
    Expand Collapse
    Pew Pew!

• Contributor
    • Sole Survivor
    Title: Consumer decision making | PANDA
    Requester: sc9215 [A20LRQURAMSBE6] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 5.00] [Fast: 2.00] [Comm: 0.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 1] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: --/hr] [Pen: 5.00 days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: -- of 0] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    Answer a survey about consumer decision making.
    Time: 20 minutes
    Reward: $0.40
    Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 70; Location is US;
    2 min

Michele and Peachy like this.
  16. Peachy

Peachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    • Pollster
    Achilles2357 likes this.
  17. mrs.pynk

mrs.pynk
    Expand Collapse
    wait... what?

• Contributor
    Morning Pixels... insomnia is a bitch >.<
    [​IMG]

18. mrs.pynk

mrs.pynk
    Expand Collapse
    wait... what?

• Contributor
    Title: 2-minute Decision Making Survey(~ 2 minutes) | PANDA
    Requester: D. M. [A17KLBWRZ7M97G] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 4.46] [Fast: 4.98] [Comm: 5.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 76] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $6.07/hr] [Pen: -- days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    Complete a short online survey
    Time: 15 minutes
    Reward: $0.25
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Exc: [48134-47545] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US;

19. minkyboodle

minkyboodle
    Expand Collapse
    "And there you have it"

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    Oh, @humbleturker@humbleturker ! <3 This is what that wink meant.. I dig this trend of encouragement continuing for the week's threads, for sure. I seriously need it right now.
    I grew up in an incredibly toxic, violent, and dysfunctional family, to put it mildly, and survived the unholy trinity of childhood abuses. At 11, I began seeing a therapist, but it ended abruptly after a family therapy session gone awry. By 12, I was self-injuring on a regular basis and hiding anorexia. At 13, I attempted suicide for the first time (and 2nd..and 3rd) and ended up being admitted into a behavioral health unit. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, PTSD, chronic major depression, and anxiety. Both parents gave up and split, and I was in foster care until I forced my caseworker's hand to get me emancipated at 17. I've been on/off nearly every psychotropic medication that exists since 1995, and have lasting heart/teeth problems as a result. (As well as a hatred of medication. Just for myself. I know it helps/has helped others.) I've faced the passing of my daughter and another hospitalization after her funeral that led to my family taking my children from me. (Please don't judge me for that last part without knowing the whole situation.) I have survived rape/sexual assault thrice, domestic abuse four times, and two car wrecks-the last of which left me with a traumatic brain injury. I have also been homeless three times in my adult life. It's been...one hell of a road, this life.

I was in/out of therapy for 23 years, and I reached a point where I lost belief in all of it. In 2014, I started making plans to kill myself. I was methodical, I was organized and had lists and letters. I felt more alone than I ever had,and I was ready. Then my eldest confessed to me that she was cutting, and everything started tumbling. Even though she never saw me self-injure and I always put on a brave face for her, I blamed myself. I'd lost my mind after her sister passed; it was my job to protect her from everything that hurt so much she felt that was the only option. After spending hours crying with her, I started searching for help, for something, for anything. I felt like the only way to help her was to find help, learn coping skills I could teach her during visits (as she is denied proper help by her guardian). I realized that if I killed myself, I was telling her and her sister it was okay to give up, to stop fighting. I was not okay with that.

I spent hours online, reading articles, med journals, the VA website, combat veteran forums, search results, looking for that solution. I found MoodGYM, an online CBT unit and began learning about cognitive behavioral therapy and how to apply it as a coping skill. A friend of mine told me about a new free clinic in my city, and I started enrollment/intake with them. In my first session with my therapist, I set out guidelines and a plan. I told her of my interest in CBT, DBT, immersion therapy, mindfulness/meditation, and EMDR, the terms and techniques that had actually shown some promise. My whole world changed when I found out that she already does most of those (and has since taken training for the EMDR).

With these things and the addition of grounding and squared breathing, my anxiety is still there but so much easier to control and the panic attacks went from all day/every day to once or twice a month. (And are much easier/quicker to relieve.) My nightmares went from extremely graphic and near-nightly to twice a month, and barely registering anymore. My moods still swing, but not as violently or as quickly, and are easier to manage back down to acceptable ranges. When my injured brain isn't being an asshole (like it is tonight) I sleep more soundly and on a more regular pattern. I've even ventured into public more often by myself, which is huge. In short, the problems are still there but the coping is easier.

Which is good because my roommate quit his job for around a month or so unexpectedly and blew his savings on weed and alcohol and such, and I'm currently playing catch-up so we don't end up homeless on the first. I'm also dealing with the fact that he's an alcoholic and gets verbally/mentally abusive and controlling. "Just leave" isn't an option at all because there is literally nowhere else for me to go at the moment and I refuse to live on the streets again, especially during an Oklahoma summer. The circumstances are just..what they are, and I'm doing what I can to handle them. Aside from the fact that I basically didn't sleep at all last night (er..would it be the night before now..?) and am somehow still awake at 3:30 on a whole new day, I think I'm doing okay with it. (To be fair, the sleep thing is more brain injury-related than mental health. My brain "forgets" from time to time that sleep is a thing humans need and goes on these insomnia runs for a day or two.) I haven't yelled or lost my temper, haven't made any impulsive decisions like blowing money or boning strangers, haven't drank or smoked weed, and even quit smoking two weeks(ish) ago. I'm stressed, but I'm using that full list of coping skills. Comparatively, I'm doing pretty ace with it all, maybe kinda possibly.

So yeah, that's my incredibly summarized but still probably too fucking long bit about my mental health, previously and currently. If you read it, I thank you and if you relate to it, I'm sorry but also know that it does get better.

Edit: Also for those that might wonder, by healing together, I am four years "clean" of self-injury and three years "clean" of suicidal attempts and my daughter is two years "clean" of self-injury (with no attempts ever).

#19 minkyboodle, Jun 21, 2017
    Rerun, coffeeowl, sryan66611 and 16 others like this.
  20. Kerek

Kerek
    Expand Collapse
    Red Cat-Bear

• Crowd Pleaser
    • Contributor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.