08/25 - Sean Connery Sunday!

Do you love Sean Connery movies?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius

Reaction score
Hmm, my Amazon Payment is showing a 'Disburseable Balance' which I don't recall ever seeing before. In my case it's 0.00 given I have a negative balance. I'm thinking they're going to have us pay back the amounts deposited in error during the fiasco via pay for our ongoing work (which is what I would do if I were in their position). Hopefully, tomorrow we'll get the official word so we will have one less worry/concern on our minds.
As I understand it, the money has to be returned. It is bank fraud if it is not. And both parties as I understand which isn't saying much, but both parties could possibly be in trouble if the money isn't returned.

Last edited:

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
As I understand it, the money has to be returned. It is bank fraud if it is not. And both parties as I understand which isn't saying much, but both parties could possibly be in trouble if the money isn't returned.
I don't see any bank fraud. Turkers didn't commit fraud by trying to withdraw earned money into their account. This is purely an error on Amazon's end. Not reversing those payments is their decision. They are paid to our banks already, they have the funds. Whether Amazon decides to get rid of our negative balances or not, remains to be seen. It would be nice, but I wouldn't count on that.

Dill

Reaction score
Title: Brain and Genetic Predictors of Individual Differences in Pain and Placebo Analgesia • https://worker.mturk.com/projects/3TM075AKFMR3ILMPR0CDC51LL8HC25/taskshttps://worker.mturk.com/projects/3TM075AKFMR3ILMPR0CDC51LL8HC25/tasks/accept_random
Requester: Canlabresearch01 • https://worker.mturk.com/requesters/AGJHQN4BKWTI2/projects
TV: No Reviews • https://turkerview.com/requesters/AGJHQN4BKWTI2
TO No Reviews • https://turkopticon.ucsd.edu/AGJHQN4BKWTI2
TO2 No Reviews • https://turkopticon.info/requesters/AGJHQN4BKWTI2
Reward: 10.00
Duration: 10:00:00
Available: 1
Description: The present research aims to help us gain a better understanding of individual differences in cognitive tasks and perception and emotion perception.
Qualifications: Attended DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 85; CompensiteHit DoesNotExist

This wasn't too bad.

cassius

Reaction score
I don't see any bank fraud. Turkers didn't commit fraud by trying to withdraw earned money into their account. This is purely an error on Amazon's end. Not reversing those payments is their decision. They are paid to our banks already, they have the funds. Whether Amazon decides to get rid of our negative balances or not, remains to be seen. It would be nice, but I wouldn't count on that.
Amazon allowed money out that wasn't rightfully to go out. That creates a problem.

Reactions: HelloHello

XWarrior

Reaction score
Hmm, my Amazon Payment is showing a 'Disburseable Balance' which I don't recall ever seeing before. In my case it's 0.00 given I have a negative balance. I'm thinking they're going to have us pay back the amounts deposited in error during the fiasco via pay for our ongoing work (which is what I would do if I were in their position). Hopefully, tomorrow we'll get the official word so we will have one less worry/concern on our minds.
Be sure that email is really from Amazon. There's lots of Amazon spam emails around.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelloHello

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
I think AP's easiest fix would be to keep the negative balances - let workers turk to pay it back (or just eat it if they quit turking or don't turk enough anymore to repay the entire negative balance).

alk69

Reaction score
Amazon allowed money out that wasn't rightfully to go out. That creates a problem.
Yes it does. For Amazon. The error was theirs. (Unless they can prove fraud on your part) They can not remove funds from your bank account without express permission from you (or a court). Just as a loan payment, utility bill, or direct deposit can not be done without your agreement. Your bank can take money from your account, but you've already agreed to that in the agreement when you got the account(you might want to read that next time). We won't go into what the Fed Gov. can do to you and your bank account. But even the Fed has to be careful so's not to be caught out by the law and the courts.
And just as an aside: Pay pal used to take money from linked bank accounts when funds were too low in the paypal account. Someone objected. Pay pal lost the suit. They don't do that anymore. Not without previous agreement.
Take this as you please as mere comments from another turker. Who may--or may not-- know any damn thing at all.

KellieS23

Anyone else feel like a Rainbow?
Contributor
Reaction score
Um, so who else got the Email from Amazon payments??

Does this mean I get to keep the $430 some in F-up money that's in my bank account???

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Um, so who else got the Email from Amazon payments??

Does this mean I get to keep the $430 some in F-up money that's in my bank account???
Read the last 2 pages. :LOL:
But yes it will stay in your bank account. Not sure what they meant by fixing the negative to Amazon Payments. Unclear if you will have to pay it back that way.

KellieS23

Anyone else feel like a Rainbow?
Contributor
Reaction score
But yes in your account. Not sure what they meant by fixing the negative to Amazon Payments. Unclear if you will have to pay it back that way.
Digesting now...wow...just wow.
I mean this was a F-up of epic proportions...but yeah, still lots of questions to be addressed

alk69

Reaction score
But yes it will stay in your bank account. Not sure what they meant by fixing the negative to Amazon Payments. Unclear if you will have to pay it back that way.
As nearly as I recall(which is vaguely at best), the last time this happened they let it go. Restart from go. Their error. Their loss. No one knows what they'll do this time.
This is a good example of what can happen when you let an automatic computer program run your business. And then don't hire enough real people to oversee it.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
I know with banks if they accidentally give you money it's illegal to spend it -- you have to give it back.

Probably some grey area with amazon payments but I would be surprised if they end up giving people hundreds of dollars.

...and a little disappointed I didn't transfer 20 times to take advantage,

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
As nearly as I recall(which is vaguely at best), the last time this happened they let it go. Restart from go. Their error. Their loss. No one knows what they'll do this time.
This is a good example of what can happen when you let an automatic computer program run your business. And then don't hire enough real people to oversee it.
I remember we got like $15 one time they screwed up but they just took forever to deposit to the banks. Also people got more when they closed their accounts accidentally. With the amount of money they oversee they need a better system. But that is Amazon in general TBH. Do the least work to get the most $.

Status
Not open for further replies.