09/16 - Thickheaded Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumius

Reaction score
NDX=Nasdaq index, which is the tech index. Retail investors/small buyers became more confident in the market, many small orders today for tech stocks like Apple/Amzn/Google etc. The tech sector carried the S&P (Not just tech, but other consumer goods, banking, etc) higher

Triple bottom=it hit a certain level 3x, where people were confident that it wasn't going to drop any further, so became emboldened to buy.

Of course, institutional hedging and gamma directionality had an effect, but it's easier to imagine WSB on reddit using robinhood to make directional moves. :happy:

Last edited:
Reactions: jan

Lumius

Reaction score
jan @jan
Notable Events - Dowdown ~0.3%, S&P down ~0.5%, Nasdaq down ~0.5% this morning after August Retail Sales and Initial Jobless Claims data. - Retail sales post a surprise gain in August despite fears that escalating Covid cases and supply chain issues would hold back consumers, the Census Bureau reported Thursday. Sales increased 0.7% for the month against the Dow Jones estimate of a decline of 0.8%. - Chinese markets struggled on Thursday amid reports that Evergrande Group – one of China's largest property developers – could default on its debt, as well as lingering concerns surrounding increased regulation and the Delta variant. - The FDA’s staff has declined to take a stance on whether to back Covid booster shots of Pfizer’s vaccine, saying U.S. regulators haven’t verified all the available data. Government advisers will debate boosters Friday. Pointing to Israeli data, Pfizer argued a third dose of its vaccine six months after the second shot restores protection from infection to 95%. Moderna, which also supports boosters, has released data showing breakthrough cases were less frequent in people who were more recently vaccinated with its two-shot vaccine. - Long-term Treasuries: 10yr at 1.34%, 20yr at 1.84% and 30yr at 1.89%. - Cryptocurrencies: $BTC ~$48,100, $ETH ~$3,625, $DOGE ~$0.2449.

📉 Daily market summary, if it is easier to understand

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
bella ciao

Americans can learn from the Mexicans. I think it's a requirement the Mexican national anthem is played around midnight even on stations that do not sign off. I don't think any American broadcaster takes a break arond midnight to play our anthem before airing the next program.

jan

Reaction score
jan @jan
Notable Events - Dowdown ~0.3%, S&P down ~0.5%, Nasdaq down ~0.5% this morning after August Retail Sales and Initial Jobless Claims data. - Retail sales post a surprise gain in August despite fears that escalating Covid cases and supply chain issues would hold back consumers, the Census Bureau reported Thursday. Sales increased 0.7% for the month against the Dow Jones estimate of a decline of 0.8%. - Chinese markets struggled on Thursday amid reports that Evergrande Group – one of China's largest property developers – could default on its debt, as well as lingering concerns surrounding increased regulation and the Delta variant. - The FDA’s staff has declined to take a stance on whether to back Covid booster shots of Pfizer’s vaccine, saying U.S. regulators haven’t verified all the available data. Government advisers will debate boosters Friday. Pointing to Israeli data, Pfizer argued a third dose of its vaccine six months after the second shot restores protection from infection to 95%. Moderna, which also supports boosters, has released data showing breakthrough cases were less frequent in people who were more recently vaccinated with its two-shot vaccine. - Long-term Treasuries: 10yr at 1.34%, 20yr at 1.84% and 30yr at 1.89%. - Cryptocurrencies: $BTC ~$48,100, $ETH ~$3,625, $DOGE ~$0.2449.

📉 Daily market summary, if it is easier to understand
every time I opened my account it would say I was down something or other, but the overall value was up (meaning that the swings were happening all day).

TBH, I still think we're in a big bubble. I'm expecting a pretty big decline in the next few months.

Lumius

Reaction score
Yeah, we have been going up very solidly across the board since the big March dip. Long, big up, slight retracement atm. Sept is traditionally slow in most markets. If you have VOO, SPY, QQQ, or pretty much any institutional fund with Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, Blackrock etc, that you bought and held for any significant period, it's up. Throw darts for tickers, and chances are, it's up.

What's scary is that we've have really good markets for so long, there's an entire generation of investors who have never seen a bear market or remember the 2008 crash, where very real people lost houses due to mortgage default.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelloHello and jan

Lumius

Reaction score
This crash will be different though, cause the derivative market has so many people utilizing leverage. Your ~$75 can buy a put to control 45k for a cycle on QQQ or SPY, haha. The derivatives market exceeds 1 quadrillion now!

Reactions: HelloHello

jan

Reaction score
This crash will be different though, cause the derivative market has so many people utilizing leverage. Your ~$75 can buy a put to control 45k for a cycle on QQQ or SPY, haha. The derivatives market exceeds 1 quadrillion now!
I am looking at my holding rn. I do have some in QQQ - but I am very diversified (and have quite a bit of common stock as well). I inherited my families stock market guy - and he takes care of my holdings.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't know what to do, really. He's great. I'm his smallest account (he does it to be nice).

Willie_Cat

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Short survey about a court case(~ 3 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Rebecca Ponce de Leon [A1YGC8M4CGBLKY] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$13.43] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.50] [Fast=4.43] [Comm=3.00] [Fair=4.43] [Reviews=11] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 30:00
Available: 1
Description: About 3 minutes, pays $0.50
Qualifications: Exc: [367005182-318862] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 97; CR Research Group #1 GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Location In US
Do you think she will find the fountain of youth???

Lumius

Reaction score
There's quite a few names for the same thing/similar things too Nasdaq/NDX/QQQ/TQQQ all track the same thing, the leverage and particulars just vary. If he's any type of experienced, you probably have funds that track both SPX and NDX. Most jobs' base 401k have some variant.

SPY, SPX are more common, but then you have Vanguard's version VOO, etc, tracking the same thing, but with their fees/balancing .

Last edited:
Reactions: jan

cassius

Reaction score
Reactions: JanetW and jan

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
I saw something recently about hitting up fiver and buying a bulk amount of coloring pages for kids for like 15 bucks then selling each colored page on etsy for 3$ each. Don't know the exact specifics, but if its true then it could be a potential way to make some money by just coloring lol
that seems too good to be true. I would think etay would be swamped with kids coloring pages if that was so

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Behavioral Econometrics | PANDA
Requester: Melanie Marvin [ASP7XV4AI55I5]
TurkerView: [ $37.15 / hour ]
Description: Participate in a research study regarding human behavior in strategic situations
Duration: 30 Min
Available: 1
Reward: $1.50
Qualifications:
  • Total approved HITs GreaterThan 100
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95
  • Completed BE study 1 DoesNotExist
[3U8PAUGKO0TUDXL9G5ZNRN54GF1NCH]

mak1skav

Reaction score
Not a great day overall but at least I got this one to give me hope lol

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Melanie Marvin for work related to 3LOJFQ4BP0125J781JS89IIZJBGDK0.
The value of your bonus is: $2.86 USD

The Requester included this note:
Performance bonus. Thank you for your participation!

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

Sincerely,
Amazon Mechanical Turk
https://www.mturk.com

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
Yeah, we have been going up very solidly across the board since the big March dip. Long, big up, slight retracement atm. Sept is traditionally slow in most markets. If you have VOO, SPY, QQQ, or pretty much any institutional fund with Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, Blackrock etc, that you bought and held for any significant period, it's up. Throw darts for tickers, and chances are, it's up.

What's scary is that we've have really good markets for so long, there's an entire generation of investors who have never seen a bear market or remember the 2008 crash, where very real people lost houses due to mortgage default.
I feel so old, I opened my ira in 1981 or so and bought my first stocks then...

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
I feel so old, I opened my ira in 1981 or so and bought my first stocks then...
2000, but really started to get good in stock picking when i read a book and later got excellent stocks at a deep discount in march 2009.

Reactions: Blakkat
Status
Not open for further replies.