09/20 - Toum Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Welcome to today's MTurk Crowd work thread!

Please check out the forum guidelines.

Maybe you need some help getting started?

Want more info about how the forum works?

Would you like to contribute an idea about the future of the forum? Feel free to share your thoughts here.

If you are interested in creating a daily thread, please tag @dibs to let everyone know that you would like to claim the next day. It is first come, first serve and thread must be created and posted by 3a EST/12a PST.

Please let a mod know if you have any questions, and have a great turking day! - MTC staff

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Welcome to today's MTurk Crowd work thread!

Please check out the forum guidelines.

Maybe you need some help getting started?

Want more info about how the forum works?

Would you like to contribute an idea about the future of the forum? Feel free to share your thoughts here.

If you are interested in creating a daily thread, please tag @dibs to let everyone know that you would like to claim the next day. It is first come, first serve and thread must be created and posted by 3a EST/12a PST.

Please let a mod know if you have any questions, and have a great turking day! - MTC staff

That looks really tasty.:)

Last edited:

cassius

Reaction score
That looks really tasty.:)

PSA Food Safety Warning!

I suggest not purchasing 'whole peeled garlic' at the grocery store. Rather, buy whole bulbs and peel it yourself. Most(over 90% in most parts of the country) peeled garlic comes from China. The American companies can't compete with the price or quantity. That said, that's not the reason I don't suggest it. Most families will grow garlic, in some regions of China, then they sell it to a buyer, who sells it to a bigger buyer, and so on, up the chain. At some point, someone decides they can afford the manpower to peel the garlic, which is performed by hand. The reason it's affordable is because, against Chinese law, they use prison labor. I'm not upset because Americans can't compete. I'm worried because the 'hand peeling' of garlic starts with using your thumbnail to get under the "nub" on the end, and peel it off removing the skin/peel with it. They won't give prisoners knives. Everything is okay for the first couple of months but, the acid in the garlic degrades the thumbnail, eventually causing it to fall away. The prisoners are still required to produce their quantity of garlic. The next way they start doing it, to keep up, is to use their teeth. As a chef, I've gotten a few cloves of garlic, in my day, that definitely had 2 toothmarks on the end. I didn't really put it all together until I saw a Netflix original, this past year, that had a hidden camera brought into one of the largest Chinese exporters of garlic and, sure enough, they were all using their teeth. It's not their fault and I don't blame them(they'll get in big trouble for not working fast) but, I do blame the lack of oversight. The American Garlic Growers Assoc.'s chairperson works for the American arm of that Chinese supplier. They alone supply over 50% of the garlic consumed in this country. I can get the title of the movie, if anyone is interested.

TL,DR Peeled garlic may contain spit

This is just an educated opinion. YMMV
Interesting but why would anyone want to buy peeled garlic? A good smash with a knife and it's all peeled for you.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Interesting but why would anyone want to buy peeled garlic? A good smash with a knife and it's all peeled for you.
If you use 10 lbs a night in a restaurant, it saves time.:)

It's a convenience packaging. Lots of people don't know you can buy it any other way.

Reactions: jklmnop

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Jesus. I've bought Goya minced garlic a time or two but uh, never again.

btw it's this https://www.netflix.com/watch/80149707

Dammit Jerami @Jerami now you done made me write Goya asking where their peeled garlic comes from
Sorry to pierce the veil but, I believe in honesty and transparency. I personally love garlic so much. I can eat probably 10 or 15 cloves of roasted garlic on crackers or toast, without thinking it's too much.:p. Most companies receive it in large hoppers full of peeled garlic, then they package, crush/process and label it here. So, most of it comes from there, even if it goes to Mexico to get labeled. That would make it a "Product of Mexico".:( On the show, they also cover the shipping routes that allow it to be labeled as a product of Vietnam, Singapore, Mexico, etc. It takes a lot of deep investigation to find out the actual port of call of the ship, and source of the garlic. As I said, didn't want to ruin your day but, I eat so much garlic and, I know that I've found 2 cloves, at least, that were missing about a third from the end and, and had 2 to 3 "teeth marks" in it. I assumed that nobody would take a bite of a whole, raw clove of garlic, then take the time to put it back in the container. At that time, I had not seen the show so, I forgot about it. By my reckoning, I feel that that(returning a piece after biting) is a lot less probable than the hidden video from that show. Either way, just want my friends to be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Great Bread

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Sorry to pierce the veil but, I believe in honesty and transparency. I personally love garlic so much. I can eat probably 10 or 15 cloves of roasted garlic on crackers or toast, without thinking it's too much.:p. Most companies receive it in large hoppers full of garlic, then they package, crush/process and label it here. So , most of it comes from there, even if it goes to Mexico to get labeled. That would make it a "Product of Mexico".:( On the show, they also cover the shipping routes that allow it to be labeled as a product of Vietnam, Singapore, Mexico, etc. It takes a lot of deep investigation to find out the actual port of call of the ship and source of the garlic. As I said, didn't want to ruin your day but, I eat so much garlic and, I know that I've found 2 cloves, at least, that were missing about a third from the end and, and had 2 to 3 "teeth marks" in it. I assumed that nobody would take a bite of a whole, raw clove of garlic, then take the time to put it back in the container. At that time, I had not seen the show so, I forgot about it. By my reckoning, I feel that that's a lot less probable than the hidden video from that show. Either way, just want my friends to be safe.
Yes I love garlic, too and am pretty sure I've seen those marks before. Ugh. Garlic and onions are foundation ingredients for me. I regularly chop several pounds of onions in one go to portion out in the freezer. *googles* time to add garlic to that task

Reactions: Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yes I love garlic, too and am pretty sure I've seen those marks before. Ugh. Garlic and onions are foundation ingredients for me. I regularly chop several pounds of onions in one go to portion out in the freezer. *googles* time to add garlic to that task
I'm the same way with the 'foundation ingredients'. Sometimes, that's all you need to make something that's just okay, into something wonderful. Both garlic and onions are pretty complex flavours and can be nudged into a different flavour profile pretty easily.(spicy, sweet, bitter, etc) That's good(yet bad) that you confirm that you may have seen those marks because I thought I was being crazy. I even showed a couple of people. I said, "Look at that! Doesn't that look like it was bitten?" But, then I moved on with my prep list.

Can I ask you a random question? I'm gonna anyway. So, given the choice, do you like to have all of the information, like garlic processing in China, regardless of whether or not it's negative or positive? As in, all information increases understanding making it easier to make decisions. Or, do you feel that ignorance is bliss, and you would have been happier if I had never mentioned it?

Reactions: jklmnop and Sondi

jan

Reaction score
Title: Study about behaviors in selection (Part 2/3)(~ 10 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Nicolas Roulin [A1WL6Y141Z8XJT] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$16.03] [Pay=4.53] [Fast=4.83] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.88] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=35] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=9.84] [Pen=0.04 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 1800
Available: 1
Description: Participate in a 10-minute study paid $1 (part 2/3 of HIT)
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Inc: [19-99360] Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 60; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.11
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: NemoRolls

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Good morning! :coffee3:

Can I ask you a random question? I'm gonna anyway. So, given the choice, do you like to have all of the information, like garlic processing in China, regardless of whether or not it's negative or positive? As in, all information increases understanding making it easier to make decisions. Or, do you feel that ignorance is bliss, and you would have been happier if I had never mentioned it?
Not directed at me, but I like to have all the information! I think in this day and age it's almost impossible for anyone to be completely 'ethical' but just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you can't make informed choices in some areas of life.

I stopped buying anything but American shrimp at home because most foreign shrimp is produced with slave labor. I've only bought peeled garlic a few times (my 4 year old likes to help peel it), but I almost certainly won't buy pre-peeled again after reading this :/ Coffee and chocolate are my other "vote-with-dollars" foods.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Good morning! :coffee3:

Not directed at me, but I like to have all the information! I think in this day and age it's almost impossible for anyone to be completely 'ethical' but just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you can't make informed choices in some areas of life.

I stopped buying anything but American shrimp at home because most foreign shrimp is produced with slave labor. I've only bought peeled garlic a few times (my 4 year old likes to help peel it), but I almost certainly won't buy pre-peeled again after reading this :/ Coffee and chocolate are my other "vote-with-dollars" foods.
Morning! Thanks for the input! It was just a general question for anyone to give me feedback. I just feel like a lot of people I know irl, say, "I don't want to know," more often than I would and it doesn't make rational sense to me.:)

jan

Reaction score
I'm the same way with the 'foundation ingredients'. Sometimes, that's all you need to make something that's just okay, into something wonderful. Both garlic and onions are pretty complex flavours and can be nudged into a different flavour profile pretty easily.(spicy, sweet, bitter, etc) That's good(yet bad) that you confirm that you may have seen those marks because I thought I was being crazy. I even showed a couple of people. I said, "Look at that! Doesn't that look like it was bitten?" But, then I moved on with my prep list.

I go back and forth on how hard I try to buy locally. We have a farmers market once a week w/in walking distance from the house.
It's expensive. In fact, it's as expensive - or slightly MORE expensive than the co-op. I go sometimes. I shop at the co-op sometimes (just did my hours yesterday - 4 hours in the kitchen~). Sometimes I shop at Aldi's - and just sort of slum it (it's cheap). Other times, I go to their better half - Trader Joe's. Their organic pasta is cheap :).

I don't know. Some days I feel rich and do what I'm supposed to. Other days I feel poor and feel scared to spend too much. It's hard..........Some things I won't do. (I buy free range eggs. I know they are still very restricted chickens.....but even those bad 'not really free range' - are a step in a better direction :). Also, the coop has really free range. I buy from them as well. If I KNOW something is awful, I try extra hard to avoid it. Caged chickens are really a form of animal abuse. So, I try extra hard.

Last edited:

jan

Reaction score
Title: Exploration of Emotions Through Film Presentation. This is for those who have not completed the Films survey before! | Accept
Requester: Martin Dorahy [A1OZ8RJSV63BO0] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=1.92] [Fast=1.91] [Comm=1.82] [Fair=1.64] [Reviews=15] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=7.35] [Pen=3.00 days] [Res=0%] [Rec=0%] [Rej=2] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 3.00
Duration: 3600
Description: An investigation on the relationship between film clips and peoples’ emotions and bodily responses afterwards. Also, if peoples' response styles predict for daily life coping strategies. This will only take about 20mins of your time!!!
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 1000; Completed My Survey Already DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Exploration of Emotions Through Film Presentation. This is for those who have not completed the Films survey before! | Accept
Requester: Martin Dorahy [A1OZ8RJSV63BO0] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=1.92] [Fast=1.91] [Comm=1.82] [Fair=1.64] [Reviews=15] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=7.35] [Pen=3.00 days] [Res=0%] [Rec=0%] [Rej=2] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 3.00
Duration: 3600
Description: An investigation on the relationship between film clips and peoples’ emotions and bodily responses afterwards. Also, if peoples' response styles predict for daily life coping strategies. This will only take about 20mins of your time!!!
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 1000; Completed My Survey Already DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Time: 16:45
Hourly: $10.74

Reactions: Kliq
Status
Not open for further replies.