Press/Studies A 'smart' fan that decides (using MTurk) whether you are worthy of being cooled (Feb 2016)

Tribune

Tribune of the Plebs
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
from Annalee Newitz at Ars Technica:

"Designer Simone Rebaudengo has created a smart fan with a built-in ethical dilemma: it can only fan one person at a time. To decide who will benefit from its cooling powers, the fan outsources its problem to Mechanical Turk, and the crowd decides which person in the machine's range deserves fanning."

:eek:

Last edited:

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Deciding who deserves a fanning is one thing, but the inventor also proposes having coffee makers decide who deserves coffee! :o Sure to be controversial. :wink:

" "If a 'smart' coffee machine knows about its user's heart problems, should it accept giving him a coffee when he requests one?" asks Rebaudengo. "

I also notice it says on the back of the device, "This product's behaviour is sourced with ethical turking."

I wonder who the requester name was and how well the HITs paid... (it was just a shortlived art project, though, it seems).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tribune

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
... A coffee maker that denies me coffee for my own good is going to be a very short lived coffee maker.

Reactions: clickhappier