Appen

lobo925

CEO of Pizza
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to see if anybody had made anything from Appen Crowdsourcing?

Just wanted to get a little feedback before I started filling out my info on the site

Thanks!

Reactions: Binxybaby

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
I did all the tests for it and got good scores, but someone has to contact you after than and no one ever did.

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
same here. I'll get projects every once in a while (like right now), but its never been steady

I have a friend who got into some linguistics thing, and gets around $15/hr, but idk how he did that

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
same here. I'll get projects every once in a while (like right now), but its never been steady

I have a friend who got into some linguistics thing, and gets around $15/hr, but idk how he did that
yeah, I did the newsfeed project for a couple months, then they said they got all the data they needed from me so I went back to turking.

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, I did the newsfeed project for a couple months, then they said they got all the data they needed from me so I went back to turking.
for some reason i've been getting the "type 250 phrases" projects when they come up. This is the second time around and the rules have made it a bunch easier

Unfortunately, its only $30 and in one shot lol

Reactions: NotTurkfactor

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got an email for a $12+/hr 10/wk transcription project... dunno if want

NotTurkfactor

no longer an eternal newbie
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got an email for a $12+/hr 10/wk transcription project... dunno if want
Just got that too. It looks like it might actually be pretty good, considering it's correcting pre-filled text rather than pure transcription.

Ashley88

Reaction score
Sorry I am late to post but I applied to Appen last week and took the tests. Was contacted today to sign an NDA for a new project starting! I don't know what it is yet or the pay. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotTurkfactor

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Sorry I am late to post but I applied to Appen last week and took the tests. Was contacted today to sign an NDA for a new project starting! I don't know what it is yet or the pay. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.
There are different... departments? of Appen. I signed up for UHRS through them a while back (they're one of several 'gateway companies' for it), but that doesn't sound like what are you and the other people in this thread have been talking about... what/where are you signing up for exactly? :)

Ashley88

Reaction score
There are different... departments? of Appen. I signed up for UHRS through them a while back (they're one of several 'gateway companies' for it), but that doesn't sound like what are you and the other people in this thread have been talking about... what/where are you signing up for exactly? :)
I went to Appen.com and did the "Join Us" link I believe. I filled out an application and applied for Crowdsourcing. There were a few other options as well!

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I went to Appen.com and did the "Join Us" link I believe. I filled out an application and applied for Crowdsourcing. There were a few other options as well!
Hmm, looks like that's the exact same place/opening I applied for before that ended up in UHRS. I don't know if they send some people non-UHRS work after that same app too, or if you had to submit for some of the other types of openings. There is some limited amount of transcription that happens through UHRS that only some workers have access to, apparently. :dunno:

NotTurkfactor

no longer an eternal newbie
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, looks like that's the exact same place/opening I applied for before that ended up in UHRS. I don't know if they send some people non-UHRS work after that same app too, or if you had to submit for some of the other types of openings. There is some limited amount of transcription that happens through UHRS that only some workers have access to, apparently. :dunno:
I originally signed up for UHRS through Clickworker, so I wasn't able to do UHRS when I signed up with Appen (although they occasionally send me emails for what I think is Spanish UHRS).
So far, I've worked on three Appen projects, all of which were completed directly from the Appen interface. Two of them had to do with writing voice commands for an AI similar to Siri, and had a fixed number of tasks assigned to each worker. The third was transcription similar to the TranscribeMe hits on UHRS, except with vague and contradictory guidelines.

Binxybaby

Reaction score
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice. I'm in the process of doing a part time Web Search Evaluator job with them. It's 19 hours a week at $11/hr. I'm hoping I can do it like I do Mturk which is during the slow time at my full time job. I haven't heard anything about the hours, if I have to work at a certain time of day or if I can just work 4 hours a day whenever.

Reactions: jml

jml

Midnight Marauder
Reaction score
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice. I'm in the process of doing a part time Web Search Evaluator job with them. It's 19 hours a week at $11/hr. I'm hoping I can do it like I do Mturk which is during the slow time at my full time job. I haven't heard anything about the hours, if I have to work at a certain time of day or if I can just work 4 hours a day whenever.
I have experience with a position that sounds very similar to the one you're talking about and I recommend it. I need to re-read some documents to see how much more information I can disclose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Binxybaby

Evergreen Queen

A very rich widow with a terrible secret.
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Super late to the party, but I do an ads evaluation project with them which is 19 hours/ week and $11/hour. You can work at any time, as long as it isn't more than 4 hours a day and 19 hours a week.

I was able to keep us afloat (boyfriend has been out of work for a while now) by working that and doing mTurk full time. It can be worth it, but there are many times that you'll sit there without any work to do. And you don't get paid for that time. But I learned to just work on HITs when that happens.

By now I'm sure you've already started. How's it going?

Reactions: jml and Binxybaby

Binxybaby

Reaction score
Super late to the party, but I do an ads evaluation project with them which is 19 hours/ week and $11/hour. You can work at any time, as long as it isn't more than 4 hours a day and 19 hours a week.

I was able to keep us afloat (boyfriend has been out of work for a while now) by working that and doing mTurk full time. It can be worth it, but there are many times that you'll sit there without any work to do. And you don't get paid for that time. But I learned to just work on HITs when that happens.

By now I'm sure you've already started. How's it going?
Thanks! That's really helpful to know!
I haven't started yet, I'm still in the training phase. I have one more week of training where I have to take and pass a test in order to start the job. Its a lot harder than I thought. If I can pass I'll be a search quality evaluator.
I have so much going on that I'm hoping I can quit my job and work from home but some of my stuff isn't for sure money (projects on leapforce that Im not sure how long they'll last) but if I can pass this Appen test then Ill have that, Leapforce, Mturk and another possible part time thing that I'm getting the details about today.

Reactions: jml

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
I got an email from Appen 6 months after I applied. They say that they have new projects. The pay was $10.00 per hour if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Steez

Steez

Woke
Reaction score
I got an email from Appen 6 months after I applied. They say that they have new projects. The pay was $10.00 per hour if I remember correctly.
So what is the process for Appen? I've been seeing a lot of people talk about it on the interwebs, and I like the idea of having another work site aside from MTurk

perk88

Reaction score
I signed up for appen a while back, roughly a month before I was just contacted today. They pay pretty decent actually, $96 per audio hour (in USD). If I decide to try it I will post here on how it all goes.

Reactions: Krikket