ASL Lovers

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
September is National Deaf Awareness Month. I was just curious how many other Deaf, CODAs, or signers we might actually have on MTC?

I'm actually a CODA, so the Deaf Community and ASL have played a pivotal role in my life. I love ASL Storytelling, and just got a bug to share this ABC handshape Summer Story with everyone.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Me, me! I took two years of ASL at the community college during my junior and senior years of high school (leaving school 2 hours early each day to go over to the college for the class) and that counted as my foreign language credits for high school graduation.

Then I went to another college and took another year of ASL, in the interpreter program, with plans to be an interpreter but the interpretation program there was HUGELY POPULAR and so the local area was so oversaturated with interpreters that I would have had to move out of the area to find a job. I wasn't interested in moving after graduation, so I ended up changing my major.

But I still love it and remember some and wish I remembered more and wish I had more opportunity to practice it!