Bonus Worker as Feedback

CooncatPublishing

Requester
Reaction score
I'm a New Requester that just did a series of surveys. I did a two HIT one for $1 with Master Qualification and got some great feedback. I then did three related 10-HIT surveys without qualification for 30¢ each. About 22 were done well, 6 were obviously rushed with no-thought responses, 1 was just strange, and one was a solicitation. I paid them all, and was happy to do so.

I have a few bucks left in my budget to pay out bonuses, if it makes sense to do so. I have some questions for you experienced people, thank for for providing this forum.

Do Turkers like to receive small bonuses and feedback on their work, or are they a time-wasting nuisance?
If the hit was 30¢, should the bonus be another 30¢? What would be the minimum for a tip for a good worker?
Should I contact the workers whom I feel gave me bad responses through this mechanism, with a bonus parting gift. as I'll be blocking them in the future?

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I'm a New Requester that just did a series of surveys. I did a two HIT one for $1 with Master Qualification and got some great feedback. I then did three related 10-HIT surveys without qualification for 30¢ each. About 22 were done well, 6 were obviously rushed with no-thought responses, 1 was just strange, and one was a solicitation. I paid them all, and was happy to do so.

I have a few bucks left in my budget to pay out bonuses, if it makes sense to do so. I have some questions for you experienced people, thank for for providing this forum.

Do Turkers like to receive small bonuses and feedback on their work, or are they a time-wasting nuisance?
If the hit was 30¢, should the bonus be another 30¢? What would be the minimum for a tip for a good worker?
Should I contact the workers whom I feel gave me bad responses through this mechanism, with a bonus parting gift. as I'll be blocking them in the future?
I can't speak for all turkers, but I think many appreciate receiving feedback and bonuses. One thing about doing this work is that the lack of communication between requesters and workers can often make us feel sorta disposable. Receiving feedback, or communicating in some way, can do a lot to help us feel like the work we do is appreciated.

As far as bonus amounts, I don't think there's any sort of standard or anything to go off of. I think the most important thing to us is just that we're compensated fairly for the effort and the time that we put in. If the HIT's base pay is a little on the low side, or someone clearly put in extra effort, then I would bonus accordingly. It's hard to put an exact number or a percentage on that though because everyone kinda has different ideas of what they perceive to be fair.

I think contacting/bonusing workers that you're going to be blocking is a nice gesture, but I would be cautious about doing that. There are quite a few people on this platform that can be less than professional when it comes to communicating with requesters about blocks or rejections. With blocks especially, there has always been some question about the effect that they have on our accounts. I would recommend using a qualification to block people instead if you're going to do that (assign them a qualification, then set up your future HITs to prevent people with that qualification from doing them).

CooncatPublishing

Requester
Reaction score
Thank you, aveline! I'm going to guess then that it doesn't take long for a Turker to see they have a small bonus and read the note attached to it. So maybe 20¢ would be sufficient for that usage, and more than that for an actual tip for good work.

Appreciate knowing that blocks may have an effect on the Turker's account. I used a qualification like you're talking about and will prevent low-quality responders from future tasks in that manner. I'd also have a list to periodically send out a HIT just for them to redeem themselves. If they're still actively Turking after a few months they likely will have learned to give good responses.

Reactions: scrmcasey

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
https://turkerview.com/requesters/A2PKVMGJIMEIL7-jim-comeau

the .30 task appeared to pay adequately, no data on the other HITs though.

if you're receiving work done poorly, you can reject it and use a qualification to prevent that worker from working on tasks in the future.

if you're receiving work done obviously not in good-faith/not in the English language, clearly an attempt to scam etc. reject, block and report those workers to Amazon (you'll be asked to provide a reason when you block a given worker).

Last edited:
Reactions: scrmcasey

XWarrior

Reaction score

I agree with Aveline, just use qualifications and skip the bonus and block note, that would negatively impact you eventually not just with workers. As well many do not read the little notes requester's leave, especially if the amount is minimal. Use quality screening techniques/questions/checks, and block only when the need arises (do so cautiously) and worth mentioning again, do not contact a worker about bad responses.