Call for comments: Paying minimum wage on online labor platforms

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Should online labor platforms have minimum wages? What should they be? How should they be enforced? Should workers on the same platform in different countries have different minimum wages? Are different minimum wage schemes needed for different kinds of platforms?

The German Metalworkers’ Union (IG Metall) and the European Trade Union Institute (ETUI) invite comments on the topic of minimum wages on online labor platforms from any interested parties, especially workers, clients, platform operators, researchers, journalists, trade unionists, and policy makers. The comments will be circulated among workers, clients, platform operators, trade unionists, and policy makers. The goal of the project is to develop and disseminate a nuanced view of the applicability of minimum wages in the effort to ensure fair working conditions in online labor platforms.

Comments may be submitted in any reasonable format, between 250 and 3000 words.

For submission information, including where and how to submit your comments to be included, please visit: http://minwage.platformwork.org/

UPDATE: Submissions deadline has been extended to Sunday, June 18. Get your comments in, even if you just have a few things to say!

Last edited:

RubyWoo_22

Reaction score
I would love a minimum pay standard set in place, but I would also love for workers to have more rights in general. I wish we didn't have to depend on Turkopticon to flag a requester for misrepresenting how long their surveys take, poor communication, erroneous rejected HITS, and low pay. I wish it were a give and take relationship much like eBay was in the beginning. The amount we are allowed to work is absolutely at the mercy of the requesters in the form of rejected HITS. I think they should have to carry ratings like we do. When you see a requester's name I think you should see a percentage or a range of stars from 1-5.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
I would love a minimum pay standard set in place, but I would also love for workers to have more rights in general. I wish we didn't have to depend on Turkopticon to flag a requester for misrepresenting how long their surveys take, poor communication, erroneous rejected HITS, and low pay. I wish it were a give and take relationship much like eBay was in the beginning. The amount we are allowed to work is absolutely at the mercy of the requesters in the form of rejected HITS. I think they should have to carry ratings like we do. When you see a requester's name I think you should see a percentage or a range of stars from 1-5.
To include your comments, please submit them at the link in the first post. Thanks! :)

RubyWoo_22

Reaction score
To include your comments, please submit them at the link in the first post. Thanks! :)
Very sorry. I thought that's what I was doing. I'm new here. I clicked on the Facebook link and it brought me here. I assumed this was where I was supposed to reply. Thanks!