Forum issues, fixes and updates

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread serves as my way of being transparent about how the forum is being handled; I will post any new information where applicable regarding problems that users are experiencing and when they can be expected to be fixed. I am waiting on the creation of a list of problems the staff are experiencing, and I will post relevant ones here along with the date they are addressed.

If you have run into a problem that the staff may not be aware of, you can post it in this thread and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

A similar thread exists in this sub forum, however I would like to ask that banter is left out of this thread so that users can find information easily.

Last edited:

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
2/19/19

Fixed an issue preventing the forum emailing updates to users that enabled the feature. You should now receive emails when you are tagged, PMed, or if a keyword alert is triggered. Note that you should not receive these emails if you are on the forum at the time of the notification.

Related issue: messages sent to the staff via the "Contact Us" link do not get forwarded to the staff email. Date of expected fix: 2/20

Reactions: theturkscribe

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
2/20/19

The spam filter addon the forum uses is currently not functioning correctly and prevents new user registration. This problem occured after the downtime the forum experienced last week.The addon will either be fixed or a new one will be utilized. Date of expected fix: TBD

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
2/20/19

Various forum features such as importing an avatar from a link are not available. This has been an issue for over a year. This will be addressed by renewing the Xenforo license for the forum. Date of expected fix: TBD

Last edited:

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
2/20/19

Fixed an issue preventing emails sent through the Contact Us form from being received by the staff. You may now use the form again to contact staff with any issues you may have.

Last edited:

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
2/20/19

Update on spam filter: still uncertain on fix, may be more viable to find an alternative solution; would likely require an update to Xenforo 2.

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
2/20/19

Updating Xenforo: a fair amount of issues with the forum itself can be solved by updating Xenforo. This is expected to be a challenging undertaking, so further discussion is needed to reach a decision on which version to use. Date of expected fix: TBD

Last edited:
Reactions: scrmcasey

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Just a FYI, been getting some server error messages this morning. If you're tinkering, carry on.

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
Just a FYI, been getting some server error messages this morning. If you're tinkering, carry on.
I see 1 error in the log from around 3 am this morning. What was the page telling you? As far as I can see, no one else has brought this up.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
I see 1 error in the log from around 3 am this morning. What was the page telling you? As far as I can see, no one else has brought this up.
Server can't be reached or something similar. I thought it might be on my end, but it was only this web page.

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
3/1/19

The forum may be unavailable for roughly 5-10 minutes between 9 pm and 12 am PST (leading into Saturday, not right now). A notice has been created as of a few hours ago that gives a link to the slack the staff uses in the event unexpected downtime occurs. Please join if you have not already. Be sure to use your forum username!

Reactions: aveline

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
3/4/19

Emails sent from the forum (e.g., keyword alerts, private messages) should be encrypted some time this week.

E1: We think this is the cause of emails bouncing for some users depending on the provider they use.

E2: when encrypted, check to make sure the sender icon isn't a red question mark.