Help please rejected HIT!

AHart29

Reaction score
I am a bit new to MTurk and today I received my first rejected HIT. I would like to write to the requester and apologize and explain that I strive for satisfactory results while doing all my HITs. When I joined MTurk I read a post about how to approach these types of things but I can't seem to find that thread. Any advice would be appreciated! TIA

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I am a bit new to MTurk and today I received my first rejected HIT. I would like to write to the requester and apologize and explain that I strive for satisfactory results while doing all my HITs. When I joined MTurk I read a post about how to approach these types of things but I can't seem to find that thread. Any advice would be appreciated! TIA
I'm sorry :( It happens to almost all of us. When writing to the requester, my main advice to give is just to be polite. Sometimes rejections made by requesters are mistakes and they are happy to work things out with us. Good luck!

mohitsinghdangi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
once i got a bulk rejection of 938 hits in one go and reduced my accuracy from 99 to 87 percent o complained about it to the authorities and as well as to the requester but no reply from requester and fighted for 6 mnth ultimately requester was banned as he was a fake but no help in improvement of my accuracy as the percent remains same and after 2 years now i m on 97 after doing zero cent hits and other around 90000 hits

Reactions: Xavik and jan

txtude

Reaction score
Wow, I thought my 12 rejected was bad. But it brought my percentage down to 67 and i was hurt. My problem was that i was getting the same hits over and over, part was the same part of it was a little different, so I kept going, I even made a comment in the "comment" section saying it seems like this is checking for early signs of dementia to see if I'm answering them the same or not. Just being funny, then I say the rejected ones. I sent a polite very apologetic and not quite begging, message to the requester that I assumed if I was getting the hits back to back that it was ok for me to do them, since I wasn't sure what the hits were actually "testing" or whatever. So, I guess my question is, don't the hits disappear, or say "you have done your amount you can't do anymore" or something like that when you shouldn't be doing them? Doesn't it keep tabs of the ones you've already done, because how are we supposed to remember every single one in the first place? Granted this paticular one was mostly the same.
I hope you understand what I'm asking since I know I was rambling some....in short, if we are not supposed to do them why are they on our HIT list?

Reactions: jan

txtude

Reaction score
Yes me again..haha If you notice something isn't going to be right after you accepted a HIT when what do you do? Keep going and wing it hoping it won't be rejected? Example are entering receipts, it's like some info on how to label it is missing....they have every reason but some. I send a message while I was in the middle of one and didn't get a response so it timed out. I just don't know how to not hang myself even more. Also, is it bad to suggest to a requester what they can "add" in as a reason on the receipts, like description is missing, or what if a total is "0" but the HIT won't let you submit it because it will not take $0. I'm not sure what to do on things like that and I do look over some and skip them but it's the little things like that, that I'm nervous about. Are we allowed to suggest things to the requesters?

jan

Reaction score
Here's the thing. Mturk can be the wild west. YOU need to be careful. Because at the end of the day, Amazon doesn't come between you and the requester. If they reject your work - fairly or unfairly - it's on you. Sure, you can send a message and they might overturn it. But they don't have to.

So, if it's a survey and you do a bunch - it *probably* isn't a good idea. Academic surveys just want one response (usually).

If it's a batch, then - yes - they want you to do a bunch. But you're new. You can't risk too many HITS with one requester. A 67% approval limits what you can accept. People on mturk who go 'all in' with a new requester do so because they have thousands or tens of thousands of hits approved. If a couple reject, it doesn't matter (lost time, but their approval won't budge). At this point, I could get hundreds of rejections and I'd still be at 99% approval.

So, at this point, you need to build a cushion with SAFE requesters. Check their TO or Turker View rating. Have you installed any scripts yet? Do that. Read up on the requester before working for them.

And finally, it's probably best not to work for any of the receipt requesters. AFAIK, they all pay horribly.

Reactions: Xavik

txtude

Reaction score
Here's the thing. Mturk can be the wild west. YOU need to be careful. Because at the end of the day, Amazon doesn't come between you and the requester. If they reject your work - fairly or unfairly - it's on you. Sure, you can send a message and they might overturn it. But they don't have to.

So, if it's a survey and you do a bunch - it *probably* isn't a good idea. Academic surveys just want one response (usually).

If it's a batch, then - yes - they want you to do a bunch. But you're new. You can't risk too many HITS with one requester. A 67% approval limits what you can accept. People on mturk who go 'all in' with a new requester do so because they have thousands or tens of thousands of hits approved. If a couple reject, it doesn't matter (lost time, but their approval won't budge). At this point, I could get hundreds of rejections and I'd still be at 99% approval.

So, at this point, you need to build a cushion with SAFE requesters. Check their TO or Turker View rating. Have you installed any scripts yet? Do that. Read up on the requester before working for them.

And finally, it's probably best not to work for any of the receipt requesters. AFAIK, they all pay horribly.

Thank you soooo much for your input that helped me a lot and does make sense. No I have not installed any scripts, I was actually just now reading about them. I will install now, again thank you for your help!!