Helpful resource for MTurk requesters

robpsychstudies

Reaction score
I recently purchased "Conducting Online Research On Amazon Mechanical Turk and Beyond" (Litman & Robinson, 2021). I wish I had this book or a similar one for the past years in which I have been a requester. In my early HITS, I did not reject any work or block any worker, despite receiving some HITS that I could not include in my data because HITS were completed in an unreasonable time (e.g, 1 minute), too many items were not completed, or HITS were filled in with "straight-lining" same response for every or almost every item. I self-fund all of my studies and I just absorbed the losses. In more recent HITS I began to reject work if workers gave an incorrect response on "attention checks", and, in some cases in which workers missed two attention checks or straight-lined, I also blocked workers. I did not realize how blocking and rejections affect workers' reputations. I recently un-blocked all workers that were blocked. I'm uncertain whether I have received a negative reputation as a requester. If so, are there ways to modify that?

jan

Reaction score
I recently purchased "Conducting Online Research On Amazon Mechanical Turk and Beyond" (Litman & Robinson, 2021). I wish I had this book or a similar one for the past years in which I have been a requester. In my early HITS, I did not reject any work or block any worker, despite receiving some HITS that I could not include in my data because HITS were completed in an unreasonable time (e.g, 1 minute), too many items were not completed, or HITS were filled in with "straight-lining" same response for every or almost every item. I self-fund all of my studies and I just absorbed the losses. In more recent HITS I began to reject work if workers gave an incorrect response on "attention checks", and, in some cases in which workers missed two attention checks or straight-lined, I also blocked workers. I did not realize how blocking and rejections affect workers' reputations. I recently un-blocked all workers that were blocked. I'm uncertain whether I have received a negative reputation as a requester. If so, are there ways to modify that?
You can see your reviews by checking Turker View and Turkopticon. You can't change that, but if you join - I guess you could leave a comment. I'd start by looking, first, and see what people thought.