Jerami Talks Brit TV...With nobody in particular

How do you feel about UK television programs?

• Total voters

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Hey there! Do you love British telly? I sure do. And I hate to post in the daily work thread, things I could talk all day about. So, I figure I can do it here. Please join in! :)

Right now I'm watching Rebus, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0867015/.
It's a pretty good show so far. I like John Hannah(Lucky Man), who plays DCI John Rebus, in this series. It's kind of "hard-boiled, film noir" with Rebus' continual, internal monologue, that helps to give it some background, while keeping the setting in current day.

If you've seen it, feel free to chime in. If not, what are you watching lately? I watch mostly mysteries. But, I can get into almost anything that's written well.
Some of my favourites are; Foyle's War, Father Brown, Grantchester, Poirot, anything Marple or Agatha Christie, Cadfael, Inspecter Morse, Lewis, Endeavour, and so many more.
:D

Reactions: jan

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Benny Hill
Benny Hill is a great show! It was the first time I had ever seen a half naked lady. :nurse:

That said, these days I like a bit more dialogue in my tv shows. But, Benny Hill was one of the shows that got me to actually like tv when I was a kid. Then I moved on to Python. And I have been ruined ever since.:)

Leatherass

Reaction score
Benny hill defined rofl for me, I'd get pains in my sides laughing, I was like 8 years old, but still.

Reactions: Jerami

jan

Reaction score
I got tired of Foyle's War - and never finished it. I might go back to it in the Fall, when I have more time to sit and knit :).
But I don't pay for anything, so I'm at the mercy of what is posted on youtube. I've seen all of the Inspector Lewis/Endeavour series and loved them. I like Father Brown (most if it, it was so funny. But the gross out part was....sort of gross). Hated Benny Hill (not sure I ever watched an entire episode).
I had a brother who enjoyed it when he was a preteen. So, maybe it's a gender thing.
As a kid, I read all of Agatha Christie - so i enjoy all of those as well.
I like Vera
hated Broadchurch (went on too long.....and the resolution too much)
Sherlock is fun (the new one)
Like George Gently (can't get much of it on youtube :( )
Liked New Tricks (well, got to be a bit much towards the end)
Really enjoyed Inspector Lynley

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
ha

I loved Broadchurch. I hate shows like NCIS and Criminal Minds where an entire case happens in 40 minutes. So unrealistic. I have seen the whole series 3 times at least.... started rewatching with a friend.

Sherlock is fun. There are some more I mean to watch but I haven't been watching a lot of TV. Very much a cold weather thing for me. I will come here for recommendations.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I got tired of Foyle's War - and never finished it. I might go back to it in the Fall, when I have more time to sit and knit :).
But I don't pay for anything, so I'm at the mercy of what is posted on youtube. I've seen all of the Inspector Lewis/Endeavour series and loved them. I like Father Brown (most if it, it was so funny. But the gross out part was....sort of gross). Hated Benny Hill (not sure I ever watched an entire episode).
I had a brother who enjoyed it when he was a preteen. So, maybe it's a gender thing.
As a kid, I read all of Agatha Christie - so i enjoy all of those as well.
I like Vera
hated Broadchurch (went on too long.....and the resolution too much)
Sherlock is fun (the new one)
Like George Gently (can't get much of it on youtube :( )
Liked New Tricks (well, got to be a bit much towards the end)
Really enjoyed Inspector Lynley
You should definitely finish Foyle's War. I felt it got better as it went. It was a bit dry to start but, once they fleshed out the characters, I grew accustomed to them. I was sad when it was cancelled due to production costs. I wasn't a big fan of Benny Hill, personally. But, it was a great intro into British comedy. I'm just not much of a fan of slapstick. I've never read Agatha Christie but, I've seen nearly everything that's been filmed. I don't read much anymore. due to time constraints.
Vera is great! I could watch it again right now!
Broadchurch I thought was just ok. Head and shoulders above the American remake(forget it's title but, I don't really care). It was sooo bad.
I loved Sherlock but, wanted more. :(
I couldn't get into Lynley, even though I've seen them all and really wanted to. I just couldn't relate to his character, at all.

Lastly, New Tricks? Never heard of it. That's exciting. I love finding new shows. Thanks. If you ever need a link to something specific, let me know. I have links to EVERYTHING.

ha

I loved Broadchurch. I hate shows like NCIS and Criminal Minds where an entire case happens in 40 minutes. So unrealistic. I have seen the whole series 3 times at least.... started rewatching with a friend.

Sherlock is fun. There are some more I mean to watch but I haven't been watching a lot of TV. Very much a cold weather thing for me. I will come here for recommendations.
Yeah, sorry to offend anyone else but, NCIS and Criminal Minds are boring. I think I hate a lot of American cop stuff because everyone is always carrying guns and/or shooting other people. It removes a lot of thought and solves things with a pull of the trigger. I tired of it years ago. And if you ever need recommendations, I've got loads.:D Thanks for chiming in!

If you want a funny comparison though, try watching Law and Order UK. They solve everything in an episode but, it just seems less boring. Not my favourite but, better than the original, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: savvy

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
The IT Crowd is one of my favorite shows ever. Been watching a little bit of Fawlty Towers.
I have never seen the IT crowd. I remember thinking that I wanted to but, didn't. I think after that I got confused because wasn't there a US version, as well. Maybe not but, reminded me of how much I hated the US version of The Office because of it's relation to The Office(UK). If they had named it something else, I'd have been fine with it. But, I kept comparing it to the UK version, which I loved.

I love Faulty Towers!
Great show and wish there were more. John Clease was brilliant in Faulty Towers.
If you like Brit comedy tv, some of my favourites are
Friday Night Dinner (TV Series 2011- ) Great family dynamic, each episode is a single dinner. They are all genius!
Vicious (TV Series 2013-2016) OMG! Soooooo hilarious! Sir Ian McKellen is the best. I had no idea he was funny but, he is. And the show is super heartwarming.
Are You Being Served? (TV Series 1972-1985) A lot like Faulty Towers but with many more episodes. Same era.
This Country (TV Series 2017- ) I didn't know what to expect from this but, really good. Daisy May Cooper And Charlie Cooper play cousins in a small market village. This mockumentary follows them and their idiot antics. Their combined IQ is about 140.

And, honorable mention from Canada...
Letterkenny (TV Series 2016- ) Jared Keeso is perfect in this. Another mockumentary about rural town life in Canada. The dialogue is so perfect.

Reactions: mboone73 and savvy

savvy

Reaction score
I have never seen the IT crowd. I remember thinking that I wanted to but, didn't. I think after that I got confused because wasn't there a US version, as well. Maybe not but, reminded me of how much I hated the US version of The Office because of it's relation to The Office(UK). If they had named it something else, I'd have been fine with it. But, I kept comparing it to the UK version, which I loved.

I love Faulty Towers!
Great show and wish there were more. John Clease was brilliant in Faulty Towers.
If you like Brit comedy tv, some of my favourites are
Friday Night Dinner (TV Series 2011- ) Great family dynamic, each episode is a single dinner. They are all genius!
Vicious (TV Series 2013-2016) OMG! Soooooo hilarious! Sir Ian McKellen is the best. I had no idea he was funny but, he is. And the show is super heartwarming.
Are You Being Served? (TV Series 1972-1985) A lot like Faulty Towers but with many more episodes. Same era.
This Country (TV Series 2017- ) I didn't know what to expect from this but, really good. Daisy May Cooper And Charlie Cooper play cousins in a small market village. This mockumentary follows them and their idiot antics. Their combined IQ is about 140.

And, honorable mention from Canada...
Letterkenny (TV Series 2016- ) Jared Keeso is perfect in this. Another mockumentary about rural town life in Canada. The dialogue is so perfect.
ohh some of these look good.

oh and of course I loved dowton abbey. just rewatched that whole series a few months ago.

basketcasey

Curiouser and curiouser
Mentor
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Super Smart
Reaction score
Oooh I love British comedies! Some of my favorites are Black Books, Father Ted, Peep Show, The I.T. Crowd, Fawlty Towers, The Thick of It, The Mighty Boosh, Keeping Up Appearances, Ab Fab.

I don’t watch as many British dramas, but I loved Black Mirror and Peaky Blinders. Just finished The Fall on Netflix and it was pretty good, though I could have done without season 3. Sherlock and Luther are next on the list. I’d love any other recommendations!

Last edited:

savvy

Reaction score
Oooh I love British comedies! Some of my favorites are Black Books, Father Ted, Peep Show, The I.T. Crowd, Fawlty Towers, The Thick of It, The Mighty Boosh, Keeping Up Appearances, Ab Fab.

I don’t watch as many British dramas, but I loved Black Mirror and Peaky Blinders. Just finished The Fall on Netflix and it was pretty good, though I could have done without season 3. Sherlock and Luther are next on the list. I’d love any other recommendations!
I do like peep show ! I had a love hate relationship with black mirror.

I was told peaky blinders would be too much for me lol

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
I do like peep show ! I had a love hate relationship with black mirror.

I was told peaky blinders would be too much for me lol
I read this as "I do peep shows."

I need some sleep.

On topic, I've never watched any of the new Dr Whos. I watched some of the ones from the 70s and 80s on PBS. Great intro song.

Reactions: savvy and Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

Have you seen Vicious? From your other favourites, this is right in line. Super funny!

Last edited:

savvy

Reaction score
I read this as "I do peep shows."

I need some sleep.

On topic, I've never watched any of the new Dr Whos. I watched some of the ones from the 70s and 80s on PBS. Great intro song.
i actually forgot to think about doctor who as a british show hahaha

i loveeeee the new series, but only with the 9th 10th doctors. didn't like 11 and 12 much. We will see how 13 pans.

pretty much david tennant is the best.

Reactions: mboone73 and Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Hey jan @jan, thanks for mentioning New Tricks. I love it. It's been the only thing I've watched for days. I'm on season 5. It's really good and I like that they have a bunch of seasons. The first season felt vaguely Australian. It was strange that it came off that way. Probably just my impression.:p

Last edited:
Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
Miranda (BBC comedy)

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Miranda (BBC comedy)
I'll have to check it out. I'm almost done with New Tricks but, could watch the whole series again.:D
Right now, I'm watching The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. It's a BBC series of "movies". They're only an hour and a half. I'm assuming they aired on 2 consecutive days, for each "movie". There are 4 of them. It's very Sherlock Holmes. It's free on Prime right now. Worth a watch.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: savvy

jan

Reaction score
I'll have to check it out. I'm almost done with New Tricks but, could watch the whole series again.:D
Right now, I'm watching The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. It's a BBC series of "movies". They're only an hour and a half. I'm assuming they aired on 2 consecutive days, for each "movie". There are 4 of them. It's very Sherlock Holmes. It's free on Prime right now. Worth a watch.:)
just wanted to add that the first two seasons are fun.
the third......not so much.

Reactions: savvy and Jerami