Kerek Tag Thread

aveline

fun sucker
Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
edit note: Memes associated with the chans will not be tolerated

It was literally just pepe sitting down eating some chicken tendies.

Doesn't really make sense because most memes come from the chans before reddit/facebook/etc grabs a hold of them and makes them unfunny.
This is something that we need to come up with a clear policy on. We talked about it a bit last night, but haven't had a chance to get all of the staff involved with it.

The issue is that many of these memes are being used by hate groups as dog whistles and we're worried that their presence may send the wrong signal to people that we wouldn't want here. It's not difficult to turn up countless articles about how many of these memes are being used or twisted to support racist/homophobic/fascist ideologies. And people are dying over this stuff. So, rather than try to determine intent every time something gets posted, we're kinda leaning towards just not allowing any of it. At least certain characters, I think (like I said, nothing is set in stone.)

And this isn't something that's exactly out of the ordinary either. I'm not sure if they since walked it back or not, but I know the TurkerView forum banned all Pepes a couple years ago, so we're actually a little behind on this.

C to the J

Turker in black
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Kerek @Kerek is a good conversationalist. I've had chats with him about everything from Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs to classic literature. He can hold his own on both of those topics by the way. :p
Kerek @Kerek what is your favorite Christian hair metal band?

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
This is something that we need to come up with a clear policy on. We talked about it a bit last night, but haven't had a chance to get all of the staff involved with it.

The issue is that many of these memes are being used by hate groups as dog whistles and we're worried that their presence may send the wrong signal to people that we wouldn't want here. It's not difficult to turn up countless articles about how many of these memes are being used or twisted to support racist/homophobic/fascist ideologies. And people are dying over this stuff. So, rather than try to determine intent every time something gets posted, we're kinda leaning towards just not allowing any of it. At least certain characters, I think (like I said, nothing is set in stone.)

And this isn't something that's exactly out of the ordinary either. I'm not sure if they since walked it back or not, but I know the TurkerView forum banned all Pepes a couple years ago, so we're actually a little behind on this.
The new mod administration has already taken its first casualties. RIPEPE.

Reactions: Peachy

aveline

fun sucker
Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
The new mod administration has already taken its first casualties. RIPEPE.
We're not banning all Pepes. I think what we're going to do is just outright ban any meme variants that are specifically used for those purposes that I mentioned above and take anything else on a case by case basis like we have been. We don't think anyone here is trying to be shits with their meme usage, so we don't think an outright ban on all of that stuff is necessary.

As for banned variants, the clown Pepe/Honkler and grey NPC Wojak memes came up in the discussion and those are definitely not allowed. I would like to provide some sort of definitive list, but that's probably impossible to do with how quickly this stuff changes. So we'll just have to go case by case.

Reactions: turkleton

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
We're not banning all Pepes. I think what we're going to do is just outright ban any meme variants that are specifically used for those purposes that I mentioned above and take anything else on a case by case basis like we have been. We don't think anyone here is trying to be shits with their meme usage, so we don't think an outright ban on all of that stuff is necessary.

As for banned variants, the clown Pepe/Honkler and grey NPC Wojak memes came up in the discussion and those are definitely not allowed. I would like to provide some sort of definitive list, but that's probably impossible to do with how quickly this stuff changes. So we'll just have to go case by case.
Seems like it would have been fun to be a part of the discussion. I don't even know what a Honkler is, lol. But I trust you. Just make sure to run a list by all the shitposters so no one gets in trouble.

Reactions: aveline

aveline

fun sucker
Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Seems like it would have been fun to be a part of the discussion. I don't even know what a Honkler is, lol. But I trust you. Just make sure to run a list by all the shitposters so no one gets in trouble.
We already covered the Honkler thing a while back, so that's nothing new anyway.

Reactions: turkleton

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
When Kerek @Kerek plays vidgames, he yells at the 12 year old kid on the mic, "Get kerek-ed".

Reactions: Kerek