mturk communities mentioned at a workshop

Serial Mom

I’m smiling…that alone should scare you.
Contributor
Reaction score

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup! Does anyone remember the HIT where you connected to people you knew from MTurk and it made really complex maps (like in the second picture) of how everyone was connected? This is from that. :)

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Yup! Does anyone remember the HIT where you connected to people you knew from MTurk and it made really complex maps (like in the second picture) of how everyone was connected? This is from that. :)
That actually sounds interesting, although I didn't do that one.
This whole topic is interesting though, since yesterday, for some reason I've forgotten, I looked up a study about mturk workers and found some interesting stuff. The researchers were trying to figure out who is actually doing the mturk research studies and what sort of research pool we comprise. They did conclude that we were pretty much better than college students, at least when it comes to the Americans, and somewhat more educated than average, and somewhat poorer. Correct (in my view). They said that 1% of turkers do 10% of hits and 10% of turkers do 41% of hits. But I actually think these values would be far more skewed if they looked at earnings and not number of hits. They put forth a figure of around 7,000 "Super Turkers". That actually sounds about right to me, if Amazon is claiming there are around 500,000 total workers. I should probably shut up now.

Reactions: jeevarathinam