newbie question

Jonnie

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I'm trying to understand everything, anyways I'm looking at my assigned qualifications tab and there is some things from requesters. I'm not sure what they mean. This is one:

Qualification
Follow up

Your value

Description
Eligible for follow-up

Assigned Date
04/25/2018

Retry Available
Yes

Action
Request Again

Do I hit request again? What do I do from here?

This is another:
Qualification
Already completed HIT

Your value

Description
Workers with this qualification have already done my HITs before, so I'm using this qualification instead of blocking.

Assigned Date
04/24/2018

Retry Available
Yes

Action
Request Again

Is this one telling me I've already done it and they are trying to not block me? I have a couple others that I have questions about but I'll start here. Thanks in advance everyone!!

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I'm trying to understand everything, anyways I'm looking at my assigned qualifications tab and there is some things from requesters. I'm not sure what they mean. This is one:

Qualification
Follow up

Your value

Description
Eligible for follow-up

Assigned Date
04/25/2018

Retry Available
Yes

Action
Request Again

Do I hit request again? What do I do from here?

This is another:
Qualification
Already completed HIT

Your value

Description
Workers with this qualification have already done my HITs before, so I'm using this qualification instead of blocking.

Assigned Date
04/24/2018

Retry Available
Yes

Action
Request Again

Is this one telling me I've already done it and they are trying to not block me? I have a couple others that I have questions about but I'll start here. Thanks in advance everyone!!
You can pretty much ignore everything in that tab. Requesters use qualifications to manage groups of workers and determine who can and can't work on their projects according to whatever their project requires.

The first one is saying you have a value of "29" so if the requester wants you to do their follow up HIT, they'll put a value of "29" on the HIT and you'll be permitted to do it. If they don't want you to do, they'll put some other number on it so you can't access it. For the second one, the requester gave you a qualification after you did their HIT so that you can't do it again, most likely because they don't want duplicate data. If they post their HIT again, it'll only be open to people who do not have the qualification so only people who haven't done it yet can do it.

Reactions: Jonnie

Jonnie

Reaction score
Thank you so much! That makes things alot easier!!

THurd

Reaction score
Currently Birmingham, AL . But shortly back to NY
So how can you tell what qualifications you have? I've been taking some of the tests or hitting the qualify button on he main hits page, but how will I tell if they approved me? And is there a message place somewhere on the mturk website?

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
So how can you tell what qualifications you have? I've been taking some of the tests or hitting the qualify button on he main hits page, but how will I tell if they approved me? And is there a message place somewhere on the mturk website?
There should be a link to your list of qualifications on the Dashboard. Also, you'll sometimes get an email letting you know if you've been granted a qualification, but that's not consistent.

There's also a script that will show your list of qualifications and allow you to sort by name, date assigned, etc. It can be pretty handy because the default qualifications page is kind of a mess IMO.
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/38977-worker-mturk-qual-sorter

THurd

Reaction score
It says that I am approved to do transcribe tasks by Crowdsurf, but on the Hits page it still wants me to qualify. I'm getting so confused.

I also have some rejections that urk me. They are from Rece Captor, probably just stupid errors. But now my approval rate is 75%. There are st 27 pending approvals, does that affect my percentage as well

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
It says that I am approved to do transcribe tasks by Crowdsurf, but on the Hits page it still wants me to qualify. I'm getting so confused.

I also have some rejections that urk me. They are from Rece Captor, probably just stupid errors. But now my approval rate is 75%. There are st 27 pending approvals, does that affect my percentage as well
No, pending HITs won't affect your approval rate until they're either approved or rejected. Looking at all of the Crowdsurf stuff that's up right now, it seems that all of their HITs require a 95% approval rating. Perhaps that's why you're not qualifying?

Just curious, do you make use of either of the review sites, Turkopticon or TurkerView, before you decide to work on something? If you're not I would definitely recommend looking into them. They can help immensely when it comes to avoiding rejections and keeping your approval rating up.

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score

Have you tried to contact the requester to find out if there is anything you can do to have the rejections reversed? I'm not sure how communicative they are, but it wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: aveline

THurd

Reaction score
Have you tried to contact the requester to find out if there is anything you can do to have the rejections reversed? I'm not sure how communicative they are, but it wouldn't hurt.
I did and he never responded to anything on the HITs. I mean after the pending HITs I ended up being ok, I'm at 93.24%, not that that's great but coming up from 75%, I'll definitely take it. But I'm not gonna lie, it really got me discouraged and I haven't worked much on the MTurk. So now I'm trying to go over everything again, got the booklet, and try to refocus. Still nervous with using the scripts and how all this works. Trying to understand how you review the requesters. So if anybody has some advice or insights I would appreciate it. I can't afford to lose anymore money and need to keep my spirits up and head in the game.

TIA

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I did and he never responded to anything on the HITs. I mean after the pending HITs I ended up being ok, I'm at 93.24%, not that that's great but coming up from 75%, I'll definitely take it. But I'm not gonna lie, it really got me discouraged and I haven't worked much on the MTurk. So now I'm trying to go over everything again, got the booklet, and try to refocus. Still nervous with using the scripts and how all this works. Trying to understand how you review the requesters. So if anybody has some advice or insights I would appreciate it. I can't afford to lose anymore money and need to keep my spirits up and head in the game.

TIA
My best advice right now is to look at reviews and approval ratings before working on a HIT. Things like TO and TV will most likely have reviews on them if they have been rejected. I'd probably also work on surveys over batch work until you get your percentage back over 95%, unless you are certain that those batches are safe (meaning they don't reject).

Check out this website too for some very helpful tricks on using scripts. I linked the page that has more information on Turkopticon (TO) and Turkerview (TV) for ratings.

https://www.mturkguide.com/primary-scripts.html

Reactions: TSolo315

txtude

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to ask this question, so I'll just ask here.....has anyone done the "chat and evaluate" HIT or any of the chat bot ones? Are they worth doing because there are a lot of them.

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to ask this question, so I'll just ask here.....has anyone done the "chat and evaluate" HIT or any of the chat bot ones? Are they worth doing because there are a lot of them.
The daily thread is usually a good place to ask this kinda thing, the weekend is a little slow but most people check that thread compared to the rest of the forum.

Reactions: TSolo315