Political Stuff

jan

Reaction score
Trump is appealing the tax ruling (that went against him).
The judge who got the case? Merrick Garland. (lol)

DCI

Reaction score
Team alternate reality not doing too well in court. Go figure.

Reactions: Jaded

DCI

Reaction score
I don't really get this tweet or anyone crushing NYT or others that think Hope Hicks is in very bad situation. She's obviously in a very bad situation, as are all of the other people that the White House is telling not to cooperate with congress. On one hand, not complying with congressional subpoenas is clearly illegal and could result in huge fines, and in this case, possibly criminal exposure. On the other hand, anyone who provides testimony harmful to the president will have their name dragged through the mud and their career potentially destroyed going forward. I don't feel sorry for any of them, but they are undeniably not in an enviable position.

I also don't see what any of this has to do with race, other than that it's something, and everything is about race.

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
I don't really get this tweet or anyone crushing NYT or others that think Hope Hicks is in very bad situation. She's obviously in a very bad situation, as are all of the other people that the White House is telling not to cooperate with congress. On one hand, not complying with congressional subpoenas is clearly illegal and could result in huge fines, and in this case, possibly criminal exposure. On the other hand, anyone who provides testimony harmful to the president will have their name dragged through the mud and their career potentially destroyed going forward. I don't feel sorry for any of them, but they are undeniably not in an enviable position.

I also don't see what any of this has to do with race, other than that it's something, and everything is about race.
I don't see this as a choice at all. I mean, there is only one choice - and that's to tell the truth.

FWIW, it's a bad situation of her own making. So, like you I don't feel sorry for her. But more than that - I see only one path towards 'redemption.'

For race - I don't know. The analogy might not be perfect. But at the end of the day - she'll still come out a wealthy CT girl, with small talent - and a fast track back to 'the fast lane.' Her parents and her privilege ensured that long before Trump & Co. noticed her.
I don't think she's ruined in the least - though I sure think she deserves that -

Reactions: DCI

DCI

Reaction score
I don't see this as a choice at all. I mean, there is only one choice - and that's to tell the truth.

FWIW, it's a bad situation of her own making. So, like you I don't feel sorry for her. But more than that - I see only one path towards 'redemption.'

For race - I don't know. The analogy might not be perfect. But at the end of the day - she'll still come out a wealthy CT girl, with small talent - and a fast track back to 'the fast lane.' Her parents and her privilege ensured that long before Trump & Co. noticed her.
I don't think she's ruined in the least - though I sure think she deserves that -
I agree that the right choice is pretty clear, but a lot of people are still minimizing the consequences. When I say that she'll get dragged through the mud if she testifies, I don't mean by congress. I mean that she'll get thrown under the bus by the president and co., just like everyone else that does things that he doesn't want them to do. That might not be a big deal for olds like Sessions, Tillerson, Mattis, etc, but if you're a young person working in a particular political circle, getting ejected from it could mean having to start over on an entirely different career path. She's also fairly vulnerable to being publicly humiliated due to her personal relationships during the campaign and after.

There's obviously lots of people in the world that have bigger problems than Hope Hicks, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous to crush a reporter, who happens to be a very good reporter, for writing an article about Hope Hicks' problems just because there are people in the world that suffer more at the hands of racial injustice or anything else. I guess no one can care that Theresa May resigned, because at least she's not starving in Bangladesh or suffering from terminal cancer.

I don't really know very much about Hope Hicks, so maybe she really will always have a silver spoon. I have no idea. I just get super tired of people randomly injecting their world narratives into every topic, whether it has to do with race or anything else. It doesn't promote progress nearly as much as it turns people off of actual important issues by beating them over the head with it constantly, even when it has no relevance at all to the subject at hand.

Reactions: jan and TotalBabe

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I just get super tired of people randomly injecting their world narratives into every topic, whether it has to do with race or anything else. It doesn't promote progress nearly as much as it turns people off of actual important issues by beating them over the head with it constantly, even when it has no relevance at all to the subject at hand.
I've come to believe that there are far too many people who get off on being professional victims. If some "woke" person cannot figure out how to be a professional victim, I guess they think the next best thing is being the champion of the professional victim.

Quite frankly, I think it's gross.

Last edited:
Reactions: jan, DCI and ducky

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
I agree that the right choice is pretty clear, but a lot of people are still minimizing the consequences. When I say that she'll get dragged through the mud if she testifies, I don't mean by congress. I mean that she'll get thrown under the bus by the president and co., just like everyone else that does things that he doesn't want them to do. That might not be a big deal for olds like Sessions, Tillerson, Mattis, etc, but if you're a young person working in a particular political circle, getting ejected from it could mean having to start over on an entirely different career path. She's also fairly vulnerable to being publicly humiliated due to her personal relationships during the campaign and after.
https://www.foxcorporation.com/management/executive-team/

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
This is sort of historical-political but so interesting to me. The back story of the iconic picture of the civil rights movement
is such a teachable moment about history, how narratives get distorted - and how history is created (and recreated).

I HIGHLY recommend.

Image result for atlanta picture dog young boy civil rights

Last edited: