Political Stuff

jan

Reaction score
idiot-in-chief
'postpones" trip to Denmark because they won't sell him Greenland

(or is it that he'll look so stupid in Denmark - that he is trying to avoid all that bad press??)

Last edited:

DCI

Reaction score

The Onion has been on great form this year
In all seriousness, he has been even worse than I expected. This is why I hate the idea of voting for anyone over 70 to be president. It's the most important job in the world and one of the most stressful, and people go downhill fast.

I kind have to lol everytime I hear Bernie and others call people like me ageist for not wanting super old presidents. I feel like ageism is not only completely necessary, but it's not nearly as unfair as a lot of other types of discrimination since every one of us starts out young and gets old.

There's a reason that 6 year olds aren't allowed to drive fork lifts, 40 year olds can't collect social security, 102 year olds can't play on the pee wee league baseball team, 34 year olds can't be president...

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
In all seriousness, he has been even worse than I expected. This is why I hate the idea of voting for anyone over 70 to be president. It's the most important job in the world and one of the most stressful, and people go downhill fast.

I kind have to lol everytime I hear Bernie and others call people like me ageist for not wanting super old presidents. I feel like ageism is not only completely necessary, but it's not nearly as unfair as a lot of other types of discrimination since every one of us starts out young and gets old.

There's a reason that 6 year olds aren't allowed to drive fork lifts, 40 year olds can't collect social security, 102 year olds can't play on the pee wee league baseball team, 34 year olds can't be president...
Eh I think a lot of ageism is shitty in its arbitrariness, but that's how capitalism has shaped our culture since the end of WWII. Most ppl simply don't consider the economic and social losses of ageism at all until they experience it.

Ageism in the commoner workplace and ageism in politics are two different things, though. For world and civic leaders, we absolutely should *want* the people controlling the nukes and governments to be with and of the times and on top of their game. And I think most people do want that. But as long as our political and media systems remain corrupted by the boomer ethos, we will simply have to survive the parade of retirees for a few more years.

Reactions: Jaded

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
idiot-in-chief
'postpones" trip to Denmark because they won't sell him Greenland

(or is it that he'll look so stupid in Denmark - that he is trying to avoid all that bad press??)
Lately I've been trying to be more mindful of the garbage cycle, of what Trump's dementia rants are distracting from. It looks like today it is the federal government looking to trash the Flores agreement and allow migrant children to be held in our for-profit concentration camps indefinitely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/trump-administration-moves-to-terminate-court-agreement-hold-migrant-children-and-parents-longer/2019/08/21/c268bb44-c28b-11e9-9986-1fb3e4397be4_story.html

• Angry
Reactions: Jaded and micky

jml

Midnight Marauder
Reaction score

In an ideal scenario I would prefer to not vote for someone who is 70+, but 3 of the top 4 Democrats are 70+ and then the one who isn't is Kamala Harris who seems to be going with the Hillary strategy of being a total weathervane and I don't know where she really stands on anything. So....in this case the age concern is something I'm gonna have to put on the backburner.

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
In an ideal scenario I would prefer to not vote for someone who is 70+, but 3 of the top 4 Democrats are 70+ and then the one who isn't is Kamala Harris who seems to be going with the Hillary strategy of being a total weathervane and I don't know where she really stands on anything. So....in this case the age concern is something I'm gonna have to put on the backburner.
What are your thoughts on Beto and Pete?

God, I'm already having major election stress and it's a year plus away.

jml

Midnight Marauder
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Beto and Pete?
I think they both mean well and would be great as reps or senators from the states they're from but for president they're both a bit too moderate for me compared to some of the other candidates.

My thinking is that Pete's main goal for this primary was basically to get himself out there as a mainstream name to open up some options in the future. If that's the case then it's been a big success for him because if he runs for president in 2024/2028 I think he'd immediately be positioned as one of the major frontrunners. My reservations with him are the fact that he seems to be the candidate of choice for the richest donors/lobbyists (even moreso than Biden in some cases) and the fact that he's not been great with dealing with racial tension/police shootings in South Bend.

Beto's campaign has been a mess until he went off on Trump/the media after the El Paso shootings which made me remember why people were so enthusiastic about him in Texas last year. Even with that though I think he's kindof in denial about his chances of being the nominee. He's been polling in a distant 6th place at best and hasn't been gaining any ground.

At the end of the day the issue I care the most about is healthcare and I have by far the most faith in Bernie to fight as hard as he can for a universal healthcare system. There's not really anything else any other candidate can do to make them jump Bernie for me.

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they both mean well and would be great as reps or senators from the states they're from but for president they're both a bit too moderate for me compared to some of the other candidates.

My thinking is that Pete's main goal for this primary was basically to get himself out there as a mainstream name to open up some options in the future. If that's the case then it's been a big success for him because if he runs for president in 2024/2028 I think he'd immediately be positioned as one of the major frontrunners. My reservations with him are the fact that he seems to be the candidate of choice for the richest donors/lobbyists (even moreso than Biden in some cases) and the fact that he's not been great with dealing with racial tension/police shootings in South Bend.

Beto's campaign has been a mess until he went off on Trump/the media after the El Paso shootings which made me remember why people were so enthusiastic about him in Texas last year. Even with that though I think he's kindof in denial about his chances of being the nominee. He's been polling in a distant 6th place at best and hasn't been gaining any ground.

At the end of the day the issue I care the most about is healthcare and I have by far the most faith in Bernie to fight as hard as he can for a universal healthcare system. There's not really anything else any other candidate can do to make them jump Bernie for me.
Holy shit you're in my head lol.

I wish I felt like I was in a place where I could vote FOR someone again. While I may not be as moderate as Beto or Pete, I'd still be OK with either one of them getting the nomination because I'm at the point where I'm so terrified of Trump being re-elected, which is a shitty way to have to go about life. Beto really impressed me when running for senate. The start of his presidential campaign was indeed an absolute mess (which I found rather disappointing), and he definitely seemed to reboot after the El Paso shooting. I'm wondering if he could be tapped for a potential vp nom? I agree with you about Pete.

I'm concerned that people will find Bernie too far to the left and won't vote for him as a result. In 2016 I feel like he would have won the presidency if he'd won the nom, but I'm not sure he has as much support this time around (as far as voters, not the DNC totally fucking him over--don't get me started on that because I'm concerned about them repeating their behavior). I've talked to many die-hard Bernie supporters from 2016 and they are now leaning toward Warren, Harris and Pete. Then again, I've also talked to many die-hard Bernie supporters from 2016 and they're still ride or die.

I'd say what my biggest issue is, except, honestly, right now it's removing the racist orange monster shithead buffoon from office.

EDIT: Also the age thing does worry me because I'd like to have a two term Democratic president and I'm concerned 8 years might be too much for Bernie and Biden at 77 and 76 years old, respectively.

Last edited:

lil queen trashmouth

Pile of ham
Contributor
Reaction score
Bernie and Biden pretty much some up how the age things matters but not totally, to me. Biden is straight up two sandwiches short of a picnic, whereas Bernie has more energy than my 31 year old non-smoking ass could ever dream of. I don't worry about Bernie for a term or two. That dude has been on the road for like 5 years straight now and still doesn't miss a beat.

Reactions: micky and jml

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score

At this point Beto has to know that his best chance nationally is a firebrand VP slot IMO. Make either Beto or Castro the VP because 38 electoral votes. If the GOP is worrying about Texas publicly, they must be shitting bricks privately.

Reactions: micky and jml

Beak

Reaction score
I agree with all of you on the age issue. I'm sick of 70+ year old white men running our country. Trump is a walking, talking, spot on example of Dunning Kruger even when he's lucid. We need someone younger again. Male, female.. I don't care. I like Bernie but Bernie missed his time. He would be pushing 80 years old in a first term. That's nuts. I liked Beto as well but he disappeared. He's just not slick enough yet. I don't know if he ever will be. I like Pete as well. However, I suspect his sexuality would be an issue. Maybe I'm just hyper aware of that because of where I live. Warren seems fake to me a lot of the time. She seems to be intelligent though. Biden is an empty suit. I can't stand him but I'll hold my nose and vote for him if that's what it comes to. The rest I haven't seen enough of to be sure how I feel about them. But I live in a state where my vote doesn't matter. My county will go 85%+ for whatever Republican promises them to stop abortion, gives lip service to the Bible, promises them they can have as many guns as they want, and points them in the direction of brown people to spew their venom.

Now for my rant. In the news the past 2-3 days Trump is bashing Jewish people who might not be "loyal". Am I crazy or was he not just a week or two ago foaming at the mouth because the Muslim women in congress said something similar? It baffles me how anyone can support him.

Reactions: jklmnop

lil queen trashmouth

Pile of ham
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with all of you on the age issue. I'm sick of 70+ year old white men running our country. Trump is a walking, talking, spot on example of Dunning Kruger even when he's lucid. We need someone younger again. Male, female.. I don't care. I like Bernie but Bernie missed his time. He would be pushing 80 years old in a first term. That's nuts. I liked Beto as well but he disappeared. He's just not slick enough yet. I don't know if he ever will be. I like Pete as well. However, I suspect his sexuality would be an issue. Maybe I'm just hyper aware of that because of where I live. Warren seems fake to me a lot of the time. She seems to be intelligent though. Biden is an empty suit. I can't stand him but I'll hold my nose and vote for him if that's what it comes to. The rest I haven't seen enough of to be sure how I feel about them. But I live in a state where my vote doesn't matter. My county will go 85%+ for whatever Republican promises them to stop abortion, gives lip service to the Bible, promises them they can have as many guns as they want, and points them in the direction of brown people to spew their venom.

Now for my rant. In the news the past 2-3 days Trump is bashing Jewish people who might not be "loyal". Am I crazy or was he not just a week or two ago foaming at the mouth because the Muslim women in congress said something similar? It baffles me how anyone can support him.
Genuine question: why has Bernie missed his time but you'll vote for Biden even though you don't like him?

If Biden is nominated, get ready for Trump again. It'll be Hillary 2.0 (I don't want that, but that's the reality)

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
If Biden is nominated, get ready for Trump again. It'll be Hillary 2.0 (I don't want that, but that's the reality)
Oh, God this is so true. Every time I see Joe on TV I yell at the screen "Go home, Joe. Go sit on your porch and have a nice glass of scotch. Enjoy retirement."

On a side note, I'm also fearful people will view Warren as the next Hillary as well.

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
Bernie and Biden pretty much some up how the age things matters but not totally, to me. Biden is straight up two sandwiches short of a picnic, whereas Bernie has more energy than my 31 year old non-smoking ass could ever dream of. I don't worry about Bernie for a term or two. That dude has been on the road for like 5 years straight now and still doesn't miss a beat.
Excellent point.

Beak

Reaction score
Genuine question: why has Bernie missed his time but you'll vote for Biden even though you don't like him?

I didn't say I wouldn't vote for Bernie. I just won't like it. The man would be 79 when sworn in. Biden I don't like regardless of age but I WILL vote for either one of them if the other choice is Trump. I think there are issues with all of the candidates but I don't think any of the issues are as bad as being both a woman and a Clinton. The sad part is Hillary was quite literally one of the most qualified candidates we've ever put on a ballot and she lost to a grifter.

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
Trump is indeed bashing Jews for voting Democratic, which, as a Jew (albeit non-practicing) makes my blood boil. Tlaib has not bashed Jews, she simply just does not suck Israel's dick (meaning Netnyahu) like Trump does. She is for a two-party state, being Palestinian, and has questioned the amount of money we give to Israel annually.

Netanyahu is a total fucking scumbag just like Trump, except he's smart. It's no wonder they adore each other.

I'm frustrated because people seem to think that, as Jews, we all regard Israel as our "motherland", which simply is not true.

Beak

Reaction score
Trump is indeed bashing Jews for voting Democratic, which, as a Jew (albeit non-practicing) makes my blood boil. Tlaib has not bashed Jews, she simply just does not suck Israel's dick (meaning Netnyahu) like Trump does. She is for a two-party state, being Palestinian, and has questioned the amount of money we give to Israel annually.

Netanyahu is a total fucking scumbag just like Trump, except he's smart. It's no wonder they adore each other.

I'm frustrated because people seem to think that, as Jews, we all regard Israel as our "motherland", which simply is not true.
But was Trump not bashing HER (or Omar) for the exact same thing he's doing now? I don't even attempt to pretend to understand the political issues that are going on in Israel. What opinions I have I understand are born out of a good deal of ignorance. Which I suspect puts me with the majority of people. Even those on the right that support Israel.