Political Stuff

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
Or "fake news".

Also, I really wish he'd stop talking about himself in the third person.

Reactions: Jaded, DCI and jan

jan

Reaction score
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/trump-wanted-to-nuke-hurricanes-report.html

According to a report from Axios, the president has “suggested multiple times to senior Homeland Security and national security officials that they explore using nuclear bombs to stop hurricanes from hitting the United States, according to sources who have heard the president’s private remarks and been briefed on a National Security Council memorandum that recorded those comments.” During one hurricane briefing, Trump reportedly offered the following solution:

“I got it. I got it. Why don’t we nuke them?” [Trump said] according to one source who was there. “They start forming off the coast of Africa, as they’re moving across the Atlantic, we drop a bomb inside the eye of the hurricane and it disrupts it. Why can’t we do that?” the source added, paraphrasing the president’s remarks.
One staffer in the briefing gave the evergreen my-boss-is-dumb response: “Sir, we’ll look into that.” As Trump continued to press the initiative, the staffer described the room as quiet, saying “You could hear a gnat fart in that meeting.”

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
G7 seems to be going really well.

-Trump skipped the climate change meeting
-Trump wants to hold next year's summit at the Trump National Doral Miami Golf Resort (bedbug bites are an extra perk
And, well, of course this...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaded and jan

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Reactions: micky

cassius

Reaction score
From an evangelical perspective
it seems to me that Trump is the antichrist
Nevertheless, early Christians tended to emphasize the coming of the one great Antichrist. The Revelation to John refers to this figure as “the Beast from the Abyss” (11:7) and “the Beast from the Sea” (13:1). In the most sustained account of his appearance, II Thessalonians 2:1-12, he is called “the man of sin” and “son of perdition.” He will come at a time of a general apostasy, deceive people with signs and wonders, sit in the temple of God, and claim to be God himself. Finally, he will be defeated by Jesus, who will destroy him by “the spirit of his mouth” and “the brightness of his coming” (2:8).

The NIV Bible makes it clearer that a time of rebellion will come before Christ's return and then the "man of lawlessness, the man doomed to destruction," will be revealed. Eventually, the Antichrist will exalt himself above God to be worshiped in the Lord's Temple, proclaiming himself to be God. Verses 9-10 say that the Antichrist will do counterfeit miracles, signs, and wonders, to gain a following and deceive many.

If so, then evangelicals ought to be disappearing into the "rapture". :sofa:

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
Nevertheless, early Christians tended to emphasize the coming of the one great Antichrist. The Revelation to John refers to this figure as “the Beast from the Abyss” (11:7) and “the Beast from the Sea” (13:1). In the most sustained account of his appearance, II Thessalonians 2:1-12, he is called “the man of sin” and “son of perdition.” He will come at a time of a general apostasy, deceive people with signs and wonders, sit in the temple of God, and claim to be God himself. Finally, he will be defeated by Jesus, who will destroy him by “the spirit of his mouth” and “the brightness of his coming” (2:8).

The NIV Bible makes it clearer that a time of rebellion will come before Christ's return and then the "man of lawlessness, the man doomed to destruction," will be revealed. Eventually, the Antichrist will exalt himself above God to be worshiped in the Lord's Temple, proclaiming himself to be God. Verses 9-10 say that the Antichrist will do counterfeit miracles, signs, and wonders, to gain a following and deceive many.

If so, then evangelicals ought to be disappearing into the "rapture". :sofa:
I'm sort of an irreverent cultural catholic (and practicing buddhist).

So, I guess I won't be going anywhere - at least I hope not :)

Reactions: cassius

cassius

Reaction score
I'm sort of an irreverent cultural catholic (and practicing buddhist).

So, I guess I won't be going anywhere - at least I hope not :)
I see the world today becoming as I was taught when a youngster in my strange cult religious home. The time would come they told us when perfection would be on the earth. If someone was about to do something considered "wrong" angels would sweep in and stop them. Yeah, I know confusing ... Until one looks at the world today and what it has become with technology telling us how to behave at every move. Only it's not Utopia. It's hell. It's frightening.
And what is heaven anyway? Sitting on a cloud strumming? Then I don't want to see it. Anything that does not challenge me in behavior, knowledge and broadening my horizons is not for me. I would find heaven quite boring. Even if I was dead.

barny

Math is money and money is math.
Reaction score
The news cycle over the past two weeks has been absolutely ridiculous and crazy exasperating to unpack, but one particular thing happening that I feel is significant is the trump admin's policy change regarding citizenship, set to take effect October 29th, which means the US government won't automatically grant citizenship rights to children of US service members and government officials that are born outside of the US (parents will have to apply for it for their child and have their application accepted).

Per NPR:
It might seem insignificant given that it will affect a small number of people, but what it signals is an incremental change and another step in the administration's ability and desire to further erode citizenship rights for people born within the US. Plain and simple, this administration, and by proxy the entire republican party, are balls-to-the-wall racist, and the ultimate goal here is to stop brown people from being born in the US as well as to stop brown people born in the US from being citizens. There are a million things to criticize right now, but this is an example of something that's happening right now that I feel is worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Reactions: jan and jklmnop

micky

disco infiltrator
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll just leave this right here.

cassius

Reaction score
was wondering when someone would get around to this. everytime I hear USMCA, I think of YMCA. how can one not help it?

jan

Reaction score
So, having got stuck watching that stupid 'debate' I came away with one thing. Biden will probably win and he's a paternalistic......is racist too strong of a word? Probably. Latent racist? I don't know. But the part where he wants to put more psychologists into underachieving schools (because poor kids need more diagnoses? Great........oppositional defiant disorder - a crap diagnosis at best.....ADD.....ADHD.....).

Plus, put social workers into HOMES because poor parents (and the convo prior was really about african americans in underachieving schools) could LEARN from social workers (again, I am one!) you know....how to read to their kids.

Cause, poor parents don't know that reading is....fundamental. PLEASE! OMG. STOP OLD UNCLE JOE

Here's his answer in full:
BIDEN: Well, they have to deal with the -- look, there's institutional segregation in this country. And from the time I got involved, I started dealing with that. Red-lining banks, making sure that we are in a position where -- look, you talk about education. I propose that what we take is those very poor schools, the Title I schools, triple the amount of money we spend from 15 to $45 billion a year. Give every single teacher a raise, the equal raise to getting out -- the $60,000 level.

Number two, make sure that we bring in to help the teachers deal with the problems that come from home. The problems that come from home, we need -- we have one school psychologist for every 1,500 kids in America today. It's crazy.

The teachers are -- I'm married to a teacher. My deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them. We have -- make sure that every single child does, in fact, have 3-, 4-, and 5-year-olds go to school. School. Not daycare. School. We bring social workers in to homes and parents to help them deal with how to raise their children.

It's not want they don't want to help. They don't -- they don't know quite what to do. Play the radio, make sure the television -- excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night, the -- the -- make sure that kids hear words. A kid coming from a very poor school -- a very poor background will hear 4 million words fewer spoken by the time they get there.
and here's a writer who does a better take down than I
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/drop-out-joe-biden-democratic-primary-884047/

Last edited:
Reactions: jklmnop

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
So, having got stuck watching that stupid 'debate' I came away with one thing. Biden will probably win and he's a paternalistic......is racist too strong of a word? Probably. Latent racist? I don't know. But the part where he wants to put more psychologists into underachieving schools (because poor kids need more diagnoses? Great........oppositional defiant disorder - a crap diagnosis at best.....ADD.....ADHD.....).

Plus, put social workers into HOMES because poor parents (and the convo prior was really about african americans in underachieving schools) could LEARN from social workers (again, I am one!) you know....how to read to their kids.

Cause, poor parents don't know that reading is....fundamental. PLEASE! OMG. STOP OLD UNCLE JOE

Here's his answer in full:

and here's a writer who does a better take down than I
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/drop-out-joe-biden-democratic-primary-884047/
Yeah that line about parents not knowing what to do...I tuned him out after that. He's clearly in decline and ofc his worldview stems from a lifetime of white privilege and is woefully out of date. I don't think he'll make it to the second week of March, but my optimism has been foiled before.