PSA re: geotracking

coosa

Crivens!
Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone here is into geotracking games or something similar, or know people who are, would you please share this information?

The item left under the lamppost pedestal in the Walmart parking lot in Alabama is in the hands of the local police department.

I'm really sorry, but what in the world did you think it would look like when you hid a pill bottle wrapped in duct tape and containing a plastic bag under the base of the lamppost? In this town? Looked like a drug drop, and store management called the police. We were completely confused when it turned out to contain a long list of names, some with dates, until something clicked and I said, "Oh no, we've spoiled someone's game!"

I tried to get the LEO to put it back, but he wouldn't do it. Homeland Security is probably analyzing it for secret codes or something by now.

I'm really, really sorry.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
:eek:

Oh wow, geocaching is a lot of fun! You do have to use some common sense though. My nieces and nephews have so much fun on adventures. We usually stick to state parks. There is a plethora of them in urban areas.

Reactions: coosa and aveline

coosa

Crivens!
Contributor
Reaction score
:eek:

Oh wow, geocaching is a lot of fun! You do have to use some common sense though. My nieces and nephews have so much fun on adventures. We usually stick to state parks. There is a plethora of them in urban areas.

I always thought it sounded like fun! I feel really bad about messing this up for whatever group was doing it - there was a long list of names, front and back of one long sheet of tiny paper, and a new list that had just been started, so this had been going on for a long time.

Considering how many different kinds of people use the forums, I thought if I posted something here that word might get back to the group that was doing it so they would at least know what happened. And maybe think of a better way to do it!

Reactions: kryss

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
I always thought it sounded like fun! I feel really bad about messing this up for whatever group was doing it - there was a long list of names, front and back of one long sheet of tiny paper, and a new list that had just been started, so this had been going on for a long time.

Considering how many different kinds of people use the forums, I thought if I posted something here that word might get back to the group that was doing it so they would at least know what happened. And maybe think of a better way to do it!
You can actually look on https://www.geocaching.com/play, but I think you have to pay to use that site. There used to be another one that was free and I can't remember it. On those sites is the general location to all of them that have ever been hidden, there's also a list of comments to let others know if there's any issues with a geocache hidden at a particular location.

Reactions: coosa

coosa

Crivens!
Contributor
Reaction score
You can actually look on https://www.geocaching.com/play, but I think you have to pay to use that site. There used to be another one that was free and I can't remember it. On those sites is the general location to all of them that have ever been hidden, there's also a list of comments to let others know if there's any issues with a geocache hidden at a particular location.
Oh, thanks, maybe I can get lucky and find the group this belonged to!

Reactions: kryss