Skin Care / Beauty Products

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I made my first foray into K-Beauty today and ordered a couple things today. Anyone else into skincare?

KittyRaces

lengthening my shitlist by the minute
Contributor
Reaction score
I made my first foray into K-Beauty today and ordered a couple things today. Anyone else into skincare?
No.. But I kinda want to be? IDK. I don't actually use much on my face aside from moisturizer after a shower. I don't use soap or a face wash, but I don't really break out much anymore, just dryness. I really need to get my haircare in order, though. Just showering/washing my hair every other day leave it limp and greasy. I really wanted to stop washing my hair every day, but, as it is, the back of my head starts to clump up/get knotted because I just leave it up all day to keep it out of the way. Also, I really need a haircut.

UGH! ;_;

Reactions: Vanyanka

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
No.. But I kinda want to be? IDK. I don't actually use much on my face aside from moisturizer after a shower. I don't use soap or a face wash, but I don't really break out much anymore, just dryness. I really need to get my haircare in order, though. Just showering/washing my hair every other day leave it limp and greasy. I really wanted to stop washing my hair every day, but, as it is, the back of my head starts to clump up/get knotted because I just leave it up all day to keep it out of the way. Also, I really need a haircut.

UGH! ;_;
Don't be stressed! Skincare is fun! I'm more hands off with my hair. I kinda just let my stylist do her thing and I wear it wavy or I'll flatiron it occasionally. I'm genetically blessed in that I have pretty good skin naturally and I've been good about sunscreen most of my life. That doesn't stop me from going a little crazy on the preventative stuff and I love chemical exfoliants (AHA/BHA) because they make you look like a new person. If you ever want advice, I know way too much. :)

KittyRaces

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be stressed! Skincare is fun! I'm more hands off with my hair. I kinda just let my stylist do her thing and I wear it wavy or I'll flatiron it occasionally. I'm genetically blessed in that I have pretty good skin naturally and I've been good about sunscreen most of my life. That doesn't stop me from going a little crazy on the preventative stuff and I love chemical exfoliants (AHA/BHA) because they make you look like a new person. If you ever want advice, I know way too much. :)
I will keep that in mind! I definitely want to figure out how to stop feeling so dry and tight after a shower.. I mean, I take hot showers and I know I shouldn't.. but I really need my hot showers. :rolleyes:

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I will keep that in mind! I definitely want to figure out how to stop feeling so dry and tight after a shower.. I mean, I take hot showers and I know I shouldn't.. but I really need my hot showers. :rolleyes:
It is good to use a gentle face wash, even if your skin is dry. I use CeraVe right now. CeraVe also makes both a good basic AM and PM moisturizer, although they're lacking in antioxidants and other active ingredients. Just depends what you're looking for. I'm a longtime, obsessive Paula's Choice user. It's a bit pricey compared to drugstore brands but cheaper than Clinique and other high-end brands. I think it's worth every penny and she's often having 15% off sales with free shipping. Let me know if you want a referral link, which will give you $10 off your first purchase.

If I could give any piece of advice, it would be to avoid all products packaged in jars. Not only does it let a ton of bacteria into the products but as soon as you open the jar, most of the active ingredients become oxidized and, therefore, useless. No matter how great the formula was to start with. Opaque packaging is also a must. Also, wear sunscreen! But you already knew that. :) That was like three pieces of advice, sorry.

KittyRaces

Contributor
Reaction score
It is good to use a gentle face wash, even if your skin is dry. I use CeraVe right now. CeraVe also makes both a good basic AM and PM moisturizer, although they're lacking in antioxidants and other active ingredients. Just depends what you're looking for. I'm a longtime, obsessive Paula's Choice user. It's a bit pricey compared to drugstore brands but cheaper than Clinique and other high-end brands. I think it's worth every penny and she's often having 15% off sales with free shipping. Let me know if you want a referral link, which will give you $10 off your first purchase.

If I could give any piece of advice, it would be to avoid all products packaged in jars. Not only does it let a ton of bacteria into the products but as soon as you open the jar, most of the active ingredients become oxidized and, therefore, useless. No matter how great the formula was to start with. Opaque packaging is also a must. Also, wear sunscreen! But you already knew that. :) That was like three pieces of advice, sorry.
I've heard good things about CeraVe and Paula's Choice. I've lurked at SCA on reddit a bit, but never really went too deeply. That and haircaresciene are two subreddits that I follow but.. haven't had time to go like off the deep end into. LOL

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I love CeraVe, but it's because I have really bad eczema brought on by an autoimmune disorder. I have to be super careful about what I let touch my skin cos just being in the room with someone wearing too much perfume is enough to cause me to break out. I miss when I was younger and could use stuff that smelled nice. :(

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm currently using Giovanni :eek:Tox system, homemade whipped shea butter, and African black soap. I generally keep skincare pretty simple because I'm so lazy about it. Hair care on the other hand is a whole other story.

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Philosophy products and have been pleased. I'm low maintenance when it comes to skincare. Wash and moisturize. I will occasionally treat myself to a scrub. I avoid being out in the sun without spf and I drink lots and lots of water.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I use Philosophy products and have been pleased. I'm low maintenance when it comes to skincare. Wash and moisturize. I will occasionally treat myself to a scrub. I avoid being out in the sun without spf and I drink lots and lots of water.
Low maintenance is good. I honestly think that if you don't have any major skin problems, you only *need* to do only a couple things for it to look pretty good. Keep your skin clean and moisturized and ALWAYS wear sunscreen. Of course, there are a lot of other things you can do for smaller improvements and I really enjoy the skincare process.

Reactions: Pippa

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm currently using Giovanni :eek:Tox system, homemade whipped shea butter, and African black soap. I generally keep skincare pretty simple because I'm so lazy about it. Hair care on the other hand is a whole other story.
I've always wanted to try the African black soap. Is it pretty gentle on the skin?

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I love CeraVe, but it's because I have really bad eczema brought on by an autoimmune disorder. I have to be super careful about what I let touch my skin cos just being in the room with someone wearing too much perfume is enough to cause me to break out. I miss when I was younger and could use stuff that smelled nice. :(
I have autoimmune disorders too so I totally understand this and it's the worst. I have ultra sensitive skin so I avoid products with added fragrance when possible. I have a tendency to develop contact dermatitis to half the things I use on a regular basis. I developed allergies to the prescription topicals my dermatologist gave me to treat skin allergies and autoimmune stuff. I still wear certain perfumes but can't really use fragranced lotions, etc.

Last edited:

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I have autoimmune disorders too so I totally understand this and it's the worst. I have ultra sensitive skin so I avoid products with added fragrance when possible. I have a tendency to develop contact dermatitis to half the things I use on a regular basis. I developed allergies to the prescription topicals my dermatologist gave me to treat skin allergies and autoimmune stuff. I still wear certain perfumes but can't really use fragranced lotions, etc.
I go back and forth between whether I can use petrolatum products or not. It sucks, cos the ointments help medications penetrate my skin better, but when I'm in a particularly bad way, they make the surrounding areas even worse.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I go back and forth between whether I can use petrolatum products or not. It sucks, cos the ointments help medications penetrate my skin better, but when I'm in a particularly bad way, they make the surrounding areas even worse.
Me too! They always swear that the petroleum is so gentle and would never cause any issues. The recommend Vaseline as a soothing agent all the time.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Me too! They always swear that the petroleum is so gentle and would never cause any issues. The recommend Vaseline as a soothing agent all the time.
I have only ever had one dermatologist who actually helped me. But then my insurance stopped covering my visits to him and no other doctors were even willing to work with me because there was no way I could possibly know what I was talking about, you know? I tell people all the time who have questions about baby eczema that they should NEVER put the Vaseline directly on the skin, only OVER another moisturizer if it's even necessary, because it's great as a barrier, but terrible as a moisturizer. So many people have mentioned that it really helped their babies after they stopped using it.

This stuff is not inexpensive, but is one of the only bath oils I've found that doesn't leave me itchy and dry after (obvs, don't use if you have nut/seed allergies).

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score
Low maintenance is good. I honestly think that if you don't have any major skin problems, you only *need* to do only a couple things for it to look pretty good. Keep your skin clean and moisturized and ALWAYS wear sunscreen. Of course, there are a lot of other things you can do for smaller improvements and I really enjoy the skincare process.

I am starting to show fine lines and and I know this will sound off to some, but I like them. They make me feel as if I am growing older gracefully. I want to have radiantly beautiful skin as I age. I don't mind the wrinkles. I just really don't want my skin to look dull. I moisturize a lot.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I am starting to show fine lines and and I know this will sound off to some, but I like them. They make me feel as if I am growing older gracefully. I want to have radiantly beautiful skin as I age. I don't mind the wrinkles. I just really don't want my skin to look dull. I moisturize a lot.
I think that's a wonderful attitude to have. You'll never end up looking desperate or silly, just graceful. :)

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I use regular bar soap (I love Camay!) to remove makeup at night, but I use Cetaphil to clean my face in the morning.

My skin is sensitive, too, and I have to be careful with what I use. As far as basic daily stuff goes, I use a RoC moisturizer with SPF 30 under makeup in the day. At night, I use a RoC night cream with retinol. I like both products a lot.

I've used Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair on and off, too. It seems to have a calming effect if your skin is irritated. I've used an aloe vera gel by Banana Boat to help with irritated skin. I also use the aloe vera gel to spread serums on my face (it's hard to spread a pea-sized amount of something all over your face, and I like that the gel is almost instantly absorbed by your skin, unlike some heavy moisturizers).

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try the African black soap. Is it pretty gentle on the skin?
It can be kind of harsh for some people but I haven't had much of an issue with it. You can also make your own liquid black soap with added oils and such to make it more gentle.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I use regular bar soap (I love Camay!) to remove makeup at night, but I use Cetaphil to clean my face in the morning.

My skin is sensitive, too, and I have to be careful with what I use. As far as basic daily stuff goes, I use a RoC moisturizer with SPF 30 under makeup in the day. At night, I use a RoC night cream with retinol. I like both products a lot.

I've used Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair on and off, too. It seems to have a calming effect if your skin is irritated. I've used an aloe vera gel by Banana Boat to help with irritated skin. I also use the aloe vera gel to spread serums on my face (it's hard to spread a pea-sized amount of something all over your face, and I like that the gel is almost instantly absorbed by your skin, unlike some heavy moisturizers).
The aloe vera thing is a good idea! I always need to mix my serum with something else but when my skin's acting crazy, I like to keep it simple.