Skin Care / Beauty Products

Annabel

Requester
Reaction score
I'm alway on the hunt at TJ Maxx and Ross for high end skin products! They can have some great prices.

I have sensitive, combination skin. All sheet masks are really different and I tend to prefer the thinner ones like the brand My Beauty Diary. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a trial and error process as far as what you and your skin likes. If you want any more recommendations, let me know!
Yes! I'm not sure where you live, but the TJ Maxxes in my area tend to carry Shiseido products which is absolutely fantastic since they tend to be really expensive!

I might try that out some time - I also have combination skin, so maybe the thicker masks are a bit too much for it? And by chance, do you have any recommendations for good liquid eyeliner? I've mostly been using Kat Von D's, but I haven't tried other brands (they might be better in terms of holding power?)

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
As far as staying power goes, I've had the best luck with waterproof liquid liners. You do have to take it off with eye makeup remover but it's worth it if you want it to last all day. Currently, I'm giving Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner a trial. So far, it's been good to me.

Do you use a makeup setting spray? That's really helped me with staying power. One of the best of I've tried is actually L'Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Spray and Set Makeup Extender Setting Spray (insanely long name, right?) I also like Urban Decay's setting spray but it's a bit more pricey so YMMV.

It's fun to have someone to talk to about this!

Reactions: Annabel

Annabel

Requester
Reaction score
As far as staying power goes, I've had the best luck with waterproof liquid liners. You do have to take it off with eye makeup remover but it's worth it if you want it to last all day. Currently, I'm giving Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner a trial. So far, it's been good to me.

Do you use a makeup setting spray? That's really helped me with staying power. One of the best of I've tried is actually L'Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Spray and Set Makeup Extender Setting Spray (insanely long name, right?) I also like Urban Decay's setting spray but it's a bit more pricey so YMMV.

It's fun to have someone to talk to about this!
Oh, nice! Yeah, my eyeliner is currently dying, so I need to drop by Sephora to pick up a new one - I'll try the one you mentioned! I've used Stila's products before, but haven't tried their liquid eyeliner yet, so this should be good!

I also don't have a makeup setting spray - I was under the impression that it was mainly for your face in general than for your eyes? Would it also help with the staying power of eye liner? In general, I tend to only wear eyeliner, a bit of eye shadow and some eyebrow filler, (foundation tends to pill up on my skin and make it super dry no matter how much facial product I put on earlier :/), so wouldn't it be a bit of overkill?

And yes! It is! :D I didn't start getting into makeup until somewhat recently, so I still have a lot to learn! (I really like watching Lisa Eldridge's videos :) )

Macy's is having a 24-hour beauty sale. Free shipping with no min!

You can also you topcashback.com or ebates.com for a little cash back on your purchases.

I even have a thread on them and stuff. :p

http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/topcashback-and-ebates.184/
Oh! And thank you! I will check it out later today!

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Oh, nice! Yeah, my eyeliner is currently dying, so I need to drop by Sephora to pick up a new one - I'll try the one you mentioned! I've used Stila's products before, but haven't tried their liquid eyeliner yet, so this should be good!

I also don't have a makeup setting spray - I was under the impression that it was mainly for your face in general than for your eyes? Would it also help with the staying power of eye liner? In general, I tend to only wear eyeliner, a bit of eye shadow and some eyebrow filler, (foundation tends to pill up on my skin and make it super dry no matter how much facial product I put on earlier :/), so wouldn't it be a bit of overkill?

And yes! It is! :D I didn't start getting into makeup until somewhat recently, so I still have a lot to learn! (I really like watching Lisa Eldridge's videos :) )
If you don't wear foundation or face makeup, then you're right that a setting spray wouldn't do much for you. I focus a lot on skincare so I don't have to wear foundation. I usually do a BB cream or cushion makeup. On good skin days, I don't wear anything at all.

Have you tried an eyelid primer? I've found the helpful in extending eye make up life in general. I'm not too particular about the brand and usually just use what I get in my beauty subscription boxes.

I read several skincare blogs but I haven't watched Lisa Elridge yet. I'll definitely check her out. YouTube is how I taught myself to apply makeup. :)

Reactions: Annabel

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
Edit: ok first post was a bit dramatic, could use a great beauty box pick me up and was going to look into it, forgot about it until I saw something here but didn't read much..what is a great but inexpensive choice? And if this info is already here, I will read if and when i can focus my eyeball. thanks :)

Last edited:

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Edit: ok first post was a bit dramatic, could use a great beauty box pick me up and was going to look into it, forgot about it until I saw something here but didn't read much..what is a great but inexpensive choice? And if this info is already here, I will read if and when i can focus my eyeball. thanks :)
Here are some of the options I've tried and liked:

https://www.beautybox5.com $12 per month
-Deluxe sample sizes and mostly makeup.

https://www.glossybox.com $21 per month
-One of my favorites and usually has mostly full-size products. A good mixture of skincare and makeup.

http://www.sephora.com/play $10 per month but you have to get on a waiting list. I liked it but it's most smaller makeup samples and I already have a lot of that kind of stuff. Good if you're just getting a collection going.

https://www.mishibox.com $19.95 per month
-This is like my favorite ever but it's all Korean Beauty products and I don't know if it's your thing. If you use my referral code, you get $5 off your first box.

These are the ones I've liked the most but I've tried pretty much all of them so let me know if you have questions!

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Mturk life -- adding $5 to your daily goal for the next 10 days in order to buy some of this badass nail polish and get free shipping. Like, I can't justify just spending the $50 now but I can justify doing extra HITs to eventually have it.

Reactions: Vanyanka

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Mturk life -- adding $5 to your daily goal for the next 10 days in order to buy some of this badass nail polish and get free shipping. Like, I can't justify just spending the $50 now but I can justify doing extra HITs to eventually have it.
Some of those are completely gorgeous. Thanks a lot. :p

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
So, um, where do I start?

My current routine is to rinse my face with water in the shower and then apply Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer With Sunscreen SPF 15. That's it.

Help?

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
So, um, where do I start?

My current routine is to rinse my face with water in the shower and then apply Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer With Sunscreen SPF 15. That's it.

Help?
I'd start with a gentle face wash and a dedicated sunscreen. What are your skincare goals?

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd start with a gentle face wash and a dedicated sunscreen. What are your skincare goals?
Basically to not look old and dry. I don't wear makeup, so I don't need to prep for that or anything.

Reactions: Vanyanka