Still need help

Patricia Houston

Reaction score
I have downloaded the scripts but I am not sure how to use them. I would really appreciate the help because I feel like I am missing something.

jan

Reaction score
I have downloaded the scripts but I am not sure how to use them. I would really appreciate the help because I feel like I am missing something.
I have given you advice, what have you downloaded? I told you to download three things - the last was panda crazy. Then I gave you a link to open it. Did you do all of that? You need to tell me what you did and what you see.

Patricia Houston

Reaction score
I have given you advice, what have you downloaded? I told you to download three things - the last was panda crazy. Then I gave you a link to open it. Did you do all of that? You need to tell me what you did and what you see.
I downloaded all three. And I see all three so how do I catch the hits

jan

Reaction score
I downloaded all three. And I see all three so how do I catch the hits
open up panda crazy with this link:
https://worker.mturk.com/requesters/PandaCrazy/projects
put it in its own window
Now, when someone posts a HIT that you want to catch or there is one on mturk - you can use panda crazy to catch it. Go to the top where it says add job and click that. You will get a window and a place to put the panda
It will search for that HIT

jan

Reaction score
also, go onto the hit page at mturk. click on any hit description - do you see the little grey boxes? if you click panda - it will automatically go onto PC and catch t hat HIT (sometimes too many people are trying to catch the same hit - and you need to do that to 'catch' it). Or, if it's a batch, you'll want to catch it repeatedly and put it on a panda

jan

Reaction score
keep in mind, you can't run too many panda's at once (I run only 1 or 2) or you will get PRE's. You can see those at the top of PC (look for the box that says PRE)). Every time you get one, mturk itself is sort of blocking your request - and you're catching 'nothing'. You want to minimize your PRE's.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
Lost cause, just give up, lol. Can't help those who won't help themselves.

Reactions: ducky and jan

Patricia Houston

Reaction score
Lost cause, just give up, lol. Can't help those who won't help themselves.
I am not a lost cause. No sense in being mean. I did what she said. I just didn't understand. I thought this was a forum to help not hurt.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not a lost cause. No sense in being mean. I did what she said. I just didn't understand. I thought this was a forum to help not hurt.
I linked you to the wiki on how to use mturk suite. Did you read through the entire thing before asking for help for the third time? With a non-specific as possible question? If you want people to help you, you need to put in a little more work so they don't feel like they're wasting their time.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out and jan

jan

Reaction score
P @Patricia Houston
I posted in response. But you haven't answered any of my questions. I'm willing to help, and am trying to walk you through what you need to do. But I need a better sense of what is going wrong. You need to tell me what you see.

Patricia Houston

Reaction score
P @Patricia Houston
I posted in response. But you haven't answered any of my questions. I'm willing to help, and am trying to walk you through what you need to do. But I need a better sense of what is going wrong. You need to tell me what you see.
I have downloaded the mturksuite,panda,hitforker and hitscraper. My mturk look has changed I am just unsure how to catch hits on mturk suite or panda

jan

Reaction score

Patricia Houston

Reaction score
I linked you to the wiki on how to use mturk suite. Did you read through the entire thing before asking for help for the third time? With a non-specific as possible question? If you want people to help you, you need to put in a little more work so they don't feel like they're wasting their time.
I put alot of work into it. And no one here is wasting there time. There is no need to be mean and cruel. I came to this forum because I thought it was a nice forum to get help in. Calling me a lost cause was just mean and cruel. If I wasn't gonna work hard I would have never came here for help.

jan

Reaction score
I put alot of work into it. And no one here is wasting there time. There is no need to be mean and cruel. I came to this forum because I thought it was a nice forum to get help in. Calling me a lost cause was just mean and cruel. If I wasn't gonna work hard I would have never came here for help.
Mturk requires you to be a self-starter. You really have to read up on it and be pretty independent. I think folks come to it, thinking that even if it's a stupid job - they'll just do it all day to make some money.

But that's not how it works. The wiki that Tsolo gave you to read is a good place to start. But, to be frank, I'm trying to walk you through a simple panda crazy step so you can catch a few HITS. That's the effort that you have to put in - at this moment, you know?

So, do that and get back to me - and tell me what happened. okay?

Reactions: Metallica

EsaEinai

Reaction score
UPDATE: I got panda and hitscraper up and running. I needed to download a different version of hitscraper (I was getting the json page instead of the hit), and Panda Crazy Helper. Yay!

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

also, go onto the hit page at mturk. click on any hit description - do you see the little grey boxes? if you click panda - it will automatically go onto PC and catch t hat HIT (sometimes too many people are trying to catch the same hit - and you need to do that to 'catch' it). Or, if it's a batch, you'll want to catch it repeatedly and put it on a panda
Hi Jan, I'm having trouble getting started with panda and hitscraper. I've looked at several tutorials and read about it. It appears that I'm missing something to get the hit/requestor from one script to another. When I right click on the preview/accept, I can only send it to hit catcher (which runs slower than a snail for me). I don't see any of the grey boxes you're talking about. I know there must be a faster way to add hits than manually typing them in! I do have the ability to export in many forms the info about the HIT, to share on forums and facebook. I have Mturk Suite, Hit Scraper, and Panda Crazy. I'm using Chrome. Am I missing an extension?

P.S. Am I correct in my theory that one uses Hit Scraper for finding new Hits, MTurk Suite for TO reviews, Pending Earnings, and past history (on hits/requestors), and Panda for batch hits or rare hits? Please pardon my blundering and piggy-backing on this thread. I'm just trying to learn my way around here. I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Last edited:

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
UPDATE: I got panda and hitscraper up and running. I needed to download a different version of hitscraper (I was getting the json page instead of the hit), and Panda Crazy Helper. Yay!

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Hi Jan, I'm having trouble getting started with panda and hitscraper. I've looked at several tutorials and read about it. It appears that I'm missing something to get the hit/requestor from one script to another. When I right click on the preview/accept, I can only send it to hit catcher (which runs slower than a snail for me). I don't see any of the grey boxes you're talking about. I know there must be a faster way to add hits than manually typing them in! I do have the ability to export in many forms the info about the HIT, to share on forums and facebook. I have Mturk Suite, Hit Scraper, and Panda Crazy. I'm using Chrome. Am I missing an extension?

P.S. Am I correct in my theory that one uses Hit Scraper for finding new Hits, MTurk Suite for TO reviews, Pending Earnings, and past history (on hits/requestors), and Panda for batch hits or rare hits? Please pardon my blundering and piggy-backing on this thread. I'm just trying to learn my way around here. I appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Hey there. I can help a bit. First off, Panda Crazy is called PC, for short. It's function is to handle PandAs(Preview and Accept). Since PandA is already short for Preview and Accept, it can get very confusing if you call PC(PandaCrazy) 'panda' because, when trying to help you, I have to rely on context to figure out if you are actually talking about a PandA or PandaCrazy(PC). :) So, from this point forward, when trying to help, we'll be referring to PandaCrazy as PC and the 'Preview and Accept' links that it handles will be referred to as "Pandas". This will hold true across the forum here and usually elsewhere, as well.

Now that we've got syntax out of the way and we're all speaking the same language, on to your questions. When you say, HitCatcher runs "slow as a snail" what do you mean? It's polling rate, or delay? Because, it should run in the same fashion as the rest of MTS, since it's a piece of the whole. You definitely aren't missing an extension, as you have redundancy for everything.
As far as how to use PC, I can't help a bunch with that, as I use MTS for most everything but, the answers you need are here.
https://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/mturk-suite-thread.2074/unread
https://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/panda-crazy-script-for-pandas.1381/

As far as your post script, HitScraper is used for finding HITs(Human Interface Tasks). I does the same job as HitFinder, which is part of Mturk Suite(MTS). PandaCrazy is used for trying to accept a HIT multiple times, whether for trying to catch multiples of the same HIT(batches) or trying multiple times to catch the same HIT once it becomes available(known as PandA-ing it). This is the same function as HitCatcher, also a part of MTS.

To sum up. MTS is a combination of a bunch of different tools that some people use separately, Including a HIT finding solution, like Scraper, a Panda solution, like PC and a database function(HitTracker) like HitDB. It is basically a complete integrated solution, rather than a bunch of specialized programs that hopefully play well together. MTS also includes a bunch of other 'helper scripts' like Dashboard Enhancer, HIT Exporter, etc.(way too many good things to list).

I use MTS for mostly everything. Because all of the tools are integrated, it's the most efficient solution for my situation.

Good luck. Let me know if you'd like to figure out why HitCatcher isn't working properly, so that you can get rid of the redundancies and see if being more efficient, and running your "TurkStand" with less moving part may be more productive. No need for 2 things that perform the same function, imo.

Also, if you need a bunch more help, feel free to PM me or move to a new thread. Normally I don't care but, the OP is having smoe significant difficulty getting started/working with help so, I'd hate to interfere with an already difficult situation.

Anyway, let me know how I can help.

Reactions: bigjuice