Survey with Prescreen

Momo3

Requester
Reaction score
I'm very new to Mturk and will be posting my first survey. I want to have a few questions at the beginning that I'll pay turkers to answer, then if they qualify give them access to more questions for a higher price. I was thinking that I could have a single hit with a survey that terminated with one set of codes if folks only made it to the prescreen, but let those who qualify keep going and give them another set of codes to get the higher pay.

Of course, I would articulate this all in the hit description so that people would know what they were in for. Has anyone done this before and does this sound like a workable system? I am not a programmer, so don't see myself programming qualifications.

Thanks for an advice you can spare!

Reactions: kryss

GlobalWorkForge

Requester
Reaction score
You can make this work. You can't change the base amount that you pay for the HIT, so those who qualify for the full survey you will have to pay by way of bonus, manually. If you have a large volume, this may be rather cumbersome for you to manually bonus each worker.

Here are some ways other people have managed this:

1. Post a HIT that is only the screening survey. This is the most common/popular approach. From the results, determine who is eligible for the full survey, and grant them a qualification. When you post the full survey, restrict it to those to whom you have granted the qualification.

2. Post your survey for the full value. Create a second HIT for those who do not qualify. In the full survey, if a worker is screened out, give them a code and instruct them to a) return the HIT, and b) accept the 2nd HIT (at a lower value) and paste the code into that HIT. This method will work, but will be less popular with workers.

Last edited:

Momo3

Requester
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips GWF! I am going to see how far I can get on my own with your bonus and reco #1. But, nice to know I've got a resource if I need some custom programming. : )