clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
UserZoom Tip: Use Firefox

Regarding this HIT (and others like it in the past and future):

Title: Survey about your Google account settings
Requester: Project Endor [A11L036EBWKONR] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☢☢☢☢☢ 4.72 Communicativity
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.85 Generosity
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.96 Fairness
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.95 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 394
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: -
Time: 30 minutes
Hits Available: 5
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 500, HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95, Location is US

As I posted on Reddit:

FWIW, the UserZoom extension seems to only be needed in Chrome (and doesn't even exist for Firefox, from what I could find publicly available). I completed an entirely-Javascript-based version of this survey in Firefox earlier today, and have been able to do likewise with other UserZoom-based surveys before. UserZoom has multiple different types of surveys they offer, and I'd thought it was just a matter of which types of surveys they'd happened to be, but then other turkers told me they'd just done this same Endor survey in Chrome and it did demand the extension there.​

The need for the extension in Chrome is probably related to its restrictive handling of some ways of launching and controlling new windows/tabs.

If you do install the Chrome extension, make sure it's disabled or remove it when you finish the HIT. There were multiple reports in June 2015 of people experiencing extreme Qualtrics slowdowns in Chrome that were resolved upon disabling/removing UserZoom, for reasons unknown. (Qualtrics has random issues of its own regardless.) Better to just use Firefox for such HITs so you don't have to worry about this...

How Chrome extension permissions work: Why Do Chrome Extensions Need to Access All My Data? (Most turkers have probably already installed at least one other extension with similar permissions for other purposes.)

UserZoom Survey Tool - Chrome Web Store
"UserZoom Survey Tool is a required browser extension to participate in studies powered by UserZoom. Participants are invited by email to take a study and requested to voluntarily install the extension. The extension only works while taking the study and it is automatically disabled afterwards. Participants can easily remove the extension from their browsers after participating in the study. "