01/25 - Function Friday!

What operating system do you use to turk?

• Windows

• MacOS

• Linux

• ChromeOS (Chromebook)

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) and it's my primary device for turking

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) but it's not my primary device for turking

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmelssx

Reaction score
Do I get paid seventy five cents for answering this?
No. Are you out of your mind? 1 answer for 75 cents?! At most you should be getting paid 10 cents.

Last edited:

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
The role of emotion in processing information on social media -- I just contacted them because I was worried when there was no code given and they said "Hi! I added code at the end of survey but it seems to be a technical error. I will definitely pay you for your time to provide your answers. Thanks!"
:)

Gator

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Survey of Employee Attitudes and Perceptions | Accept
Requester: Marcia J. Simmering [A16PRBMAA24LGZ] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$31.25] [Pay=4.33] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.67] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=3] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.50
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: Seeking attitudes and opinions of people currently working in the U.S.
Qualifications: None
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
This took like 5 minutes.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
The role of emotion in processing information on social media -- I just contacted them because I was worried when there was no code given and they said "Hi! I added code at the end of survey but it seems to be a technical error. I will definitely pay you for your time to provide your answers. Thanks!"
:)
Most of the time I contact requesters the answer is nice and helpful, even from requesters with a bad TO. Sometimes I don't get an answer.

Reactions: theturkscribe

keljenner

Reaction score
The medical profession is very lucky I never get to rate any surgeons. One day I will get one.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
I see there are birthdays today!

Oh and P.S.:

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Survey Research Institute at Cornell for work related to 3M47JKRKCX12M1FQ9I0SUP2S2JD68Q.
The value of your bonus is: $3.00 USD

The Requester included this note:
Thank you!
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Getting warmer.

You've received a bonus from William Dallinger for work related to 3XDSWAMB22L30GNFPOGKPQQALX7CQP.
The value of your bonus is: $1.49 USD
OMG, it worked? He's put up an interesting HIT that intices me (not sure if it's the same one you did or not, but that's okay to keep the topic secret), then I finally am able to PANDA it and then it won't pop up (just a blank screen) disappointing me.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Jesus man, Vietnam flashbacks all over the place.

Also... Besmirching the name of the (dearly departed) good doctor I see :dead: :eek: lol

Please, please pardon me if I followed the quote chain incorrectly, but the only two reviews for this HIT on TV took 35 minutes & an hour respectively. It's a little rude to be calling Peachy @PeachyRider a scammer for being faster than you --- don't we generally dislike those kinds of judgments made solely on completion time as workers? :p

For the other HITs on that profile --- I know almost every single one of those workers. I'd vouch for them as strongly as I'd vouch for my own work. Many of them report bonuses for good work including another longtime MTC'er ( scrmcasey @scrmcasey ) who also got a bonus for good work despite the HIT paying $100/hr already.

If I've followed the conversation correctly, I hope this is simply misreading how the website works because absolutely no one reported doing that HIT in 7 minutes. Please be careful suggesting a requester utilize account blocks if this is the case. That's dangerous. If I'm completely wrong & you've found issues w/ a different profile on TV please do send them my way.

In any case if I can help explain how TV's website functions or provide more clarity on the website I'd be happy to look into it. Even if I have followed the chain incorrectly, the idea that someone would look at a completion time on TV & hop right to "scammer" is pretty odd without extra context on the website? It'd be helpful to add that to the conversation since I do check the site for data quality issues but I've checked the workflow of quite a few TV "speedsters" myself and generally $/hr is the result of incredible ingenuity not malicious action.

That Requester in particular has an inflated average hourly because their original HITs in November were MUCH faster than the one quoted above. I understand if that's misleding & the root of the "7 minute" completion time guess, but the website displays breakdowns by HIT so users can get more accurate information on a per-record basis, it should be easily seen on the right hand side (or at the bottom for smaller viewports).

It's also really important to keep in mind that TV's script is not infallible, and many workers will just quickly throw their times into the pot without double checking that they are accurate which can often lead to situations where they end up reporting the HIT took them 1/10th the time it actually did (or 100x the actual time if they went AFK w/o pausing the timer).

Generally it is way safer to assume my coding is at fault for oddities in data on TV than user maliciousness. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I know some folks take shortcuts I personally wouldn't, but I'd defend a requester from a worker screaming "SCAMMER" & I'd most definitely go to bat for 90% of the people reporting times on that profile as well.
I didn't suggest the requester take any action based on time, only on bad/useless data. He was going to mass reject. As far as my suggestion of scamming being evident by TV showing an $80+ per hour. It think you're being overly touchy as I didn't say that TV users were the culprit, nor that TV was anything but an indicator of something fishy based on simple math($86/60min=$1.43minso @ $1.43 a minute a $10HIT would take about 7min), without making a statement on the voracity of the information, as I have no idea how the code processes avg_hourly, nor it's rate of error. I didn't realize it relied on user input or oversight, which would have made me not put any stock in the data, so I wouldn't have mentioned it, even though I only mentioned it as an aside.
I definitely didn't blame code or user maliciousness, as I don't suspect anyone. I only used the output data from the TV displayed on the HIT post for what it was, a piece of data that showed a trend. But, nobody(meaning me) looked at the TV data until the very last line, before I hit send on my last post about the topic. But, I surely, nor did the requester, "look at a completion time on TV & hop right to "scammer" i...without extra context" We only used other context. TV data didn't factor, at all.. The data from TV had literally 0(zip, ziltch) input or mention in the conversation between myself and the requester. It was an aside that I mentioned a the end because I thought, "Oh, hey, doesn't TV pull it's data without user input? It may provide us with some useful information, if we looked at it," like an average completion time, which I figured must be sort of reliable. I guess I thought it was like a golf handicap, where it didn't average too few submissions. My fault for not being a TV user.

Sorry, you took this "some way" as it really should have been clear that I was trusting TV's data and therefore it's developer, not making any sort of claim about their user base, since I assumed the overlap between TV's user set and MTC's member set. Either way, I'll just go edit the line out and add a caveat, and it can be a non-issue.

Good morning MTC!. Funny what you wake up to.:p

Last edited:

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
Hold on. I'll go post a HIT for you.
you'll want to check that before you bite into it Merovign @Merovign, guessing it'll have a hair in it if not worse.

However, what I'm hearing from the forum as a whole rn is that having done my errands, I can go take a nap now, cause it's still dead. :celebrate:

Status
Not open for further replies.