01/25 - Function Friday!

What operating system do you use to turk?

• Windows

• MacOS

• Linux

• ChromeOS (Chromebook)

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) and it's my primary device for turking

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) but it's not my primary device for turking

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spchles1

Reaction score
Title: Predicting behavior in economic games(~ 5 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: SocialCognitionResearchCologne [A3S0F56AR2HR2U] (Contact)
TV: [Hrly: $15.66] [Pay: 4.12] [Fast: 4.93] [Comm: null] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Blk: 0]
TO: [Pay: 4.08] [Fast: 4.53] [Comm: 4.23] [Fair: 4.43] [Reviews: 161] [ToS: 23]
TO2: [Hrly: ---] [Pen: ---] [Res: ---] [Rec: ---] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Reward:
$0.50
Duration: 30 days
Available: 1
Description: [5 minutes study, $0.5] Predicting behavior in economic games
Requirements: Exc: [124629-125155] DoesNotExist; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US

4 min

greg

Hey that tickles
Reaction score
Have you ever received a qual by the request function? I heard they are extremely rare and I definitely never received a qual via that vector yet.
Every month or so I go through and request quals and I do notice an increase in the # of HITs in my marketplace screen. Sometimes I go through my list of quals and I see stuff in there I never knew I had. Granted it could be a qual for a requester that isn't active anymore, but there are more there than I thought. They often have oblique sounding names, so it's hard to figure out what they're for.

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
I know you’re relatively new to turking right? What are your approved number of hits?

My advice is easy on paper, but sometimes hard after awhile in action. I force myself to finish whatever I have in my queue if possible. If it’s 2 hits and only 25 cents total... I still do it. “Every penny counts” is literally my motto when it comes to mTurk.

Now of course... within reason. I’m not going to do a 25 cent survey that takes 15 minutes. But if the survey says 5 mins and it’s for a quarter... sometimes I’ll take the plunge and see if I can complete it in 2-4m. Sometimes the survey is bad and this backfires, but I’m always scraping.

Are you primarily doing surveys or batches?

batches can add up change fast if it’s a decent one. PC is useful to panda batches, etc

Experience plays a part as well. you get use to certain requesters. how their hits work, etc. Experience also in the sense that requesters come and go and you have to force yourself to adapt to new ones overtime.

I’m all over the place right now. I know other people have probably given advice and I’m sure I’m repeating some of the stuff they’ve said. My inbox is open though
I actually just started last month, and I didn't get serious with it until this month. Right now, I am at 983 approved HITs, with 42 pending. I'll definitely reach 1000 within the next day. I take care of my mom, so I'm almost literally tethered to this apartment. I do surveys, filtering 0.40 and up. On average, I do around 40 a day, with an average PE of around $20.00. To be honest, I don't really understand batches, or how people manage to do hundreds of HITs in a single day. I think the HIT where you name where the video takes place is a batch (I do those quite often), but they take around three minutes to complete, and only pay 0.25. If you messed one up, you have to go back and try to figure out which one it was, making it potentially last five minutes or longer.

I'd love to make around $40.00 to $50.00 a day. Definitely more, of course, but I'm not greedy. I'm just trying to afford a used car to get my baby girl who lives an hour away, any time I want. Obviously, there's a flaw in my method. I sit here all day, and barely make $20.00 most days. That's not even $3.00 an hour. I have Panda Crazy, and it has helped since I downloaded it. I also have Mturk Suite and Tampermonkey, but again, I'm obviously not utilizing them the way I should be.

Reactions: greg

jan

Reaction score
Title: Duplication Judgment | Accept
Requester: Julian [A35PRKC2COB0ZD] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$10.52] [Pay=3.57] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.33] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=9] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=7.54] [Pen=0.72 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 40:00
Available: 1
Description: Watch a short movie and answer quick questions! Takes 5 min. Please only participate if you have normal or corrected-to-normal vision, and if you haven't done Duplication Judgment before
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: ChristopherASA

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
I've had a couple of $50 Saturdays, but the average 2-hour morning stint (before I go to my day job) is around $5-10, and weekends where I can spend more time are usually around $25. A lot of it depends on the day and what shows up in the marketplace. I always sign up for the multi-day longitudinal studies, because those are like money in the bank. I have two going on right now - the flossing study and the helping study. They're only $.50/ea, but it's guaranteed $0.50 each every day for 7 days.

I don't do just MTurk. I always keep a tab open with Prolific going. That doesn't yield as much as MTurk, but they are often good studies (£1-3), and I've never had one rejected. I get about £10 per week on Prolific. I dabbled in swagbucks for a while, but I never got much with it and it seems that's only gift cards anyway - I want the cash in my bank account, not an amazon/best buy credit.

When it's slow in MTurk/Prolific, I go through and request qualifications and take tests. That will open up more HITs in your queue. Sometimes it feels like you're wasting your time, but there are new requesters creating new quals all the time, so it does make a difference.
How much time do you spend on Prolific, if you don't mind me asking?
Oh, and I do request qualifications too. Well, just recently requesting them a couple of weeks ago. Before then, I was actually looking for HITs that require Masters. Trying to run a marathon, before I could even crawl. A friend of mine showed me the error of my ways on that one.

Reactions: greg

greg

Hey that tickles
Reaction score
I actually just started last month, and I didn't get serious with it until this month. Right now, I am at 983 approved HITs, with 42 pending. I'll definitely reach 1000 within the next day. I take care of my mom, so I'm almost literally tethered to this apartment. I do surveys, filtering 0.40 and up. On average, I do around 40 a day, with an average PE of around $20.00. To be honest, I don't really understand batches, or how people manage to do hundreds of HITs in a single day. I think the HIT where you name where the video takes place is a batch (I do those quite often), but they take around three minutes to complete, and only pay 0.25. If you messed one up, you have to go back and try to figure out which one it was, making it potentially last five minutes or longer.

I'd love to make around $40.00 to $50.00 a day. Definitely more, of course, but I'm not greedy. I'm just trying to afford a used car to get my baby girl who lives an hour away, any time I want. Obviously, there's a flaw in my method. I sit here all day, and barely make $20.00 most days. That's not even $3.00 an hour. I have Panda Crazy, and it has helped since I downloaded it. I also have Mturk Suite and Tampermonkey, but again, I'm obviously not utilizing them the way I should be.
I get burned a lot doing batches, so I am careful to check out a requester on TO before I start. Even though I'm anal retentitive about details, there are some dirtbag requesters who want to steal people's time and will reject work for no reason. As workers we have no effective recourse. We can ask nicely to have the rejects reversed, but I've only ever had one reject reversed.

Successfully doing batches and actually making money at it (for me) is to pick the right one, make sure the requester is legit, and also make sure it can be completed with keyboard commands instead of mouse clicking. If you can Tab/Enter/Arrow your way through a HIT, you can get through a big batch in less than half the time as mouse clicking.

greg

Hey that tickles
Reaction score
How much time do you spend on Prolific, if you don't mind me asking?
Oh, and I do request qualifications too. Well, just recently requesting them a couple of weeks ago. Before then, I was actually looking for HITs that require Masters. Trying to run a marathon, before I could even crawl. A friend of mine showed me the error of my ways on that one.
I keep a tab open w/ Prolific all the time, and I do whatever work pops up in the screen. It's usually 1-2 surveys a morning, or if I'm at it all day I might get 5 surveys on a Saturday. Even if it's a small one, like £0.10, I'll do it. On average, the surveys I get on Prolific are about £1.00. They prequal you for stuff and then only things you qualify for show up in your queue. If you're a particularly interesting species of lab rat, you might get more than me - I expect I'm fairly bland and uninteresting, as rats go...

jan

Reaction score
I was joking. Geesh. Tough room.
Requesters read the forum, that's why we watch out so carefully. In fact, we like when they show up (we give them a banner and all :). When they are here, it helps aid communication between workers and requesters.
But they are very sensitive to the idea that turkers aren't taking their work seriously - that jeopardizes the work (for real, there was a bot scare several months ago - and that dried up work across the platform. We still haven't recovered.......).
Anyway, that's why :)

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Requesters read the forum, that's why we watch out so carefully. In fact, we like when they show up (we give them a banner and all :). When they are here, it helps aid communication between workers and requesters.
But they are very sensitive to the idea that turkers aren't taking their work seriously - that jeopardizes the work (for real, there was a bot scare several months ago - and that dried up work across the platform. We still haven't recovered.......).
Seriously. Issues with data integrity have had a terrible effect on the crowdwork ecosystem over the last several months. Not a fan of TurkPrime but this is a primer: https://blog.turkprime.com/after-the-bot-scare-understanding-whats-been-happening-with-data-collection-on-mturk-and-how-to-stop-it

Last edited:

SherryNotShirley

Contributor
Reaction score
Amen! :angelic:

Status
Not open for further replies.