03/03 - Triple Trouble Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningLord

You think that's a Schwinn.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh it has been.. Next year has been the thing ever since book 5...however grum has canceled all but two con appearances this year actually wrote a blog post around new years talking about his progress which he hasn't done at all this book.. Some of us have been given hope by this... we shall see.
It's almost insane how long it's taking him to finish. Especially because a lot of what should have been in book 5 was cut and moved to TWOW. I know a lot needed to be edited and all that, but if you already have almost 1/5 of a book done....just finish it!

Just Matthew

And the bottom drops out.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh it has been.. Next year has been the thing ever since book 5...however grum has canceled all but two con appearances this year actually wrote a blog post around new years talking about his progress which he hasn't done at all this book.. Some of us have been given hope by this... we shall see.
Look I've been on the Song of Ice and fire ride since 1996 I have to reread every book ever 5 years or so to remember wtf is even going on so i can go onto the next book that is released. I'm over it, thank god for the t.v. series.

repingel

Reaction score
I should have been more clear:

Most?

Really, LADY who wrote the article?
The Reddit user who was interviewed for this seemed to be a rather simple mind.

The whole universities should just ask for more money thing killed me. Yeah, while they're cutting money from their budgets all over the country, maybe if this person just asks nicely, they'll get a bunch more money!

Reactions: CatWhiskers

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay I am reading this woman's blog post and analysis now and I will redact this statement, as she says:

"Once I realized how poorly paid my respondents were, I went back and gave every one of my over 1,400 participants a 'bonus' to raise the survey respondent rate to the equivalent of a $10 hourly wage."

Plus she goes on to advocate for others doing the same:

"For a 3-minute survey of 800 people, going from a 20-cent to a 50-cent payment costs an additional $240. But if every researcher paid an ethical wage, it would really add up for people like Marjorie ... In this month’s PS: Political Science and Politics, a peer-reviewed journal published for the American Political Science Association, I have called for new standards for crowdsourced research to be implemented not only by individual researchers, but also by universities, journals, and grantmakers. For instance, journal editors should commit to publishing only those articles that pay respondents an ethical rate, and university ethics boards should create guidelines for use of crowdsourcing that consider wages and also crowdsourcers’ lack of access to basic employment protections."

So actually, I applaud her for doing the right thing. But I maintain that other researchers knowingly paying that kind of wage should be ashamed.
(reference article: http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/techtank/posts/2016/02/03-can-crowdsourcing-be-ethical-williamson)

It's a weird self-perpetuating cycle. One researcher pays a shit wage and writes about how we work for a shit wage, and the rest of the researchers assume we all like working for shit wages and as such choose to pay shit wages.

El Pablo

ಠ_ಠ
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: 8-minute survey for $0.80 | PANDA
Requester: The Wharton School [ABIUW8FBC3EE7] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 3.97][Fair: 4.64][Comm: 4.11][Fast: 4.58]
Description:
Complete an 8-minute survey for $0.80
Time: 40 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $0.80
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 97; Location is US

Reactions: ChelseaT

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
It's a weird self-perpetuating cycle. One researcher pays a shit wage and writes about how we work for a shit wage, and the rest of the researchers assume we all like working for shit wages and as such choose to pay shit wages.
Plus all the people actually working for said shit wage.

lobo925

CEO of Pizza
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Read a short transcript and answer questions(~ 20 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Emily Joseph [A3GDDH1TCW30SQ] (Contact)
(TO): No TO (Submit a new TO rating for this requester)
Description: Read a short transcript (~1000 words) and answer a short survey (~35 questions) testing recall and impression formation
Time: 30 minutes
Hits Available: 40
Reward: $1.50
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100, HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 80, Location is one of: US, Exc: [8339-7750] has not been granted
Good hit if it pays

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Bonus ops on these.

Title: Treasure hunt | PANDA
Requester: Cocosci Lab at UC Berkeley [AHG3DFQ65ESGY] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭ 4.63 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭ 4.29 Generosity
☭☭☭☭ 4.88 Fairness
☭☭☭☭ 4.84 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 237
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: Look for treasure in different locations, try to remember where it is
Time: 15 minutes
Reward: $0.50
Qualifications: None

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Do you currently pay for an HBO subscription? Take this quick, 2 minute survey! Instant approval!(~ 2 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Lead Lab at Leeds [AF4GJPMV4V5N2] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭ 4.47 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭☭ 3.74 Generosity
☭☭☭☭ 4.84 Fairness
☭☭☭☭ 4.73 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 78

Description: In this HIT, we will ask you to take part in a study for HBO subscribers. Participation should only take approximately 2 minutes and your submission will be instantly approved via digital passkey.
Time: 30 minutes
Hits Available: 6
Reward: $0.20
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100; Exc: [264598-7701] has not been granted; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 90; Location is one of: US

Reactions: Deleted member 481

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: 20 min survey of your opinions about current figures in the news. | PANDA
Requester: Clemson Psychology [A3W20E7XD9O6U7] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭☭ 3.56 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭ 4.04 Generosity
☭☭☭☭ 4.04 Fairness
☭☭☭☭ 4.22 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 64

Description: Take a 20-minute survey about current figures in the news, your opinions, and life experiences. Compensation is $2.72.
Time: 4 hours
Reward: $2.72
Qualifications: Location is one of: US-IA, US-KS, US-MN, US-MO, US-ND, US-NE, US-SD; HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 95; Total approved HITs is not less than 50

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Origami study | PANDA
Requester: Wakslak Lab [A1156S1P84GI4U] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭☭ 3.25 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭☭ 3.57 Generosity
☭☭☭☭ 4.75 Fairness
☭☭☭☭ 4.75 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 14

Description: A straighrforward consumer origami study
Time: 2 hours
Reward: $1.50
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 98; Location is US

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Decide if a track title is valid, if track belongs to an artist, and if the video represents the track | PANDA
Requester: YouTube Artist [A2FR7QLXNDBZ70] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭ 4.03 Generosity
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Fairness
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 34

Description: Give an artist name, a track title and a video, decide whether the track title is valid, if the track belongs to the artist, and whether the video is representative of the track.
Time: 7 minutes
Hits Available: 2
Reward: $0.08
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 99; Location is US

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: 8-minute survey for $0.80 | PANDA
Requester: The Wharton School [ABIUW8FBC3EE7] (Contact)
(TO):[Pay: 3.97][Fair: 4.64][Comm: 4.11][Fast: 4.58]
Description:
Complete an 8-minute survey for $0.80
Time: 40 minutes
Reward: $0.80
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100, HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 97, Location is US

Aydiarose

Kinkguin 0f d00m
Contributor
Reaction score
Look I've been on the Song of Ice and fire ride since 1996 I have to reread every book ever 5 years or so to remember wtf is even going on so i can go onto the next book that is released. I'm over it, thank god for the t.v. series.
I know that feel.. I mean I've only been on the train since book three but I get it.. But like I mentioned earlier I love rereading this series lol

Reactions: Jaded

casualwarfare

Reaction score
Yeah, there will always be cheap requesters, but luckily we have each other (aww) and tools like TO to choose not to support them. However, I think advocacy is important to call attention to shitty pay and the ethics of how that actually effects turkers, who are in fact real people. Hopefully more potential requesters will learn something from that and jump on board with the ethical side of things.

Bode "Emo Barry" Miller

Unofficial Official
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Interpersonal Experiences based on Sleep Quality and Duration | PANDA
Requester: Christopher Barnes [APHWMT2CNE6C8] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☢☢☢☢☢ 3.32 Communicativity
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.17 Generosity
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.48 Fairness
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.52 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 45

Description: We want to understand how the quality of sleep can affect interpersonal experiences of people. In this survey, you will be asked general questions about interpersonal skills, as well as about your sleeping patterns and workload.
Time: 45 minutes
Reward: $3.50
Qualifications: Masters has been granted, Location is US

Aydiarose

Kinkguin 0f d00m
Contributor
Reaction score
It's almost insane how long it's taking him to finish. Especially because a lot of what should have been in book 5 was cut and moved to TWOW. I know a lot needed to be edited and all that, but if you already have almost 1/5 of a book done....just finish it!
Most of his time is spent on continuity editing though. He might have 1/5 of the book written theoretically but all that has to be checked and rechecked to make sure he doesn't miss those little errors like a skinny girl getting wider hips or a horse suddenly being a different gender. That kind of thing is a huge deal when you have a fandom that will tear every single little thing apart and come up with time traveling fetuses and shit

Status
Not open for further replies.