• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Definitely Not Riss

Probably not Breakfast Wino
Contributor
Reaction score
It's unproven. But it's clear that t hey aren't making their money from google clicking (2 clicked ads doesn't = .50). IDK. For the record, they've been reported to Amazon, someone has contacted a person with the name on the HIT through email, I personally called google and (in a flight of fancy, the credit card companies. I thought I'd just alert them to a type of scam (not that I understand it, mind you). I just thought they'd be interested in the idea of what was happening (not necessarily follow up on a single situation - ). I thought that they had 'fraud' people who liked to know new things that were out there.

Nope. On the phone with both google and visa for over 1/2 hour to find out that either no one cared (in the case of the former) or no department or individual existed at any extension available to the public (really, the switchboard tried but couldn't even find a number). Crazy. And a waste of time.

OTOH, perhaps the working theory is wrong. I have no idea. None of it makes sense to me.............
I just figured they might be using a stolen credit card.

Reactions: jan

sryan66611

Contributor
Reaction score
I really love all the new names they come up with for the requesters. They're like book character names.
What if they aren't actually made up but real people..

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
What if they aren't actually made up but real people..
What if it's a The Others situation, where they're actually real people and we're the ghosts?

Oh and spoiler alert, that's what happens in The Others.

Reactions: MerryLou

Definitely Not Riss

Contributor
Reaction score
It's unproven. But it's clear that t hey aren't making their money from google clicking (2 clicked ads doesn't = .50). IDK. For the record, they've been reported to Amazon, someone has contacted a person with the name on the HIT through email, I personally called google and (in a flight of fancy, the credit card companies. I thought I'd just alert them to a type of scam (not that I understand it, mind you). I just thought they'd be interested in the idea of what was happening (not necessarily follow up on a single situation - ). I thought that they had 'fraud' people who liked to know new things that were out there.

Nope. On the phone with both google and visa for over 1/2 hour to find out that either no one cared (in the case of the former) or no department or individual existed at any extension available to the public (really, the switchboard tried but couldn't even find a number). Crazy. And a waste of time.

OTOH, perhaps the working theory is wrong. I have no idea. None of it makes sense to me.............
You know like the ghetto gas scam. Where they get a stolen credit card and then fill a line of peoples tanks for 20 dollars. I figured it was like that.

Pleco

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Like a whole slew of people with great names in a room creating spammies. I like this.
They're called flimmy flammies now.

jan

Reaction score
I just figured they might be using a stolen credit card.
but where is the revenue? If you took my credit card, for example, and did this - you'd generate a small sum from each time the link was opened (a percentage of a penny?). If you used my card, I'd get a notification from amazon directly, or if not directly - I'd see the bill for however much (say, 50-100) and I'd call my credit card company AND amazon. couldn't amazon SEE what was happening?

I just don't get it.

Definitely Not Riss

Contributor
Reaction score

sryan66611

Contributor
Reaction score
What if it's a The Others situation, where they're actually real people and we're the ghosts?

Oh and spoiler alert, that's what happens in The Others.
Yep and what if they are in a separate "Spam" world and the only way to contact us is through mturk... The hits are actually not real and just figments of our imagination and we aren't really doing them.

Definitely Not Riss

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Study: Aspects of People (Includes Short Writing Task)(~ 7 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: SAMlab [A38D5928ZYYN9J] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭ 4.00 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭☭ 3.22 Generosity
☭☭☭☭ 4.89 Fairness
☭☭☭☭ 4.76 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 37
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: Study: Answer questions about yourself and others. Takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $0.25
Qualifications: Exc: [285280-8388] has not been granted; Total approved HITs is not less than 100; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 85; Location is one of: US

Definitely Not Riss

Contributor
Reaction score
but where is the revenue? If you took my credit card, for example, and did this - you'd generate a small sum from each time the link was opened (a percentage of a penny?). If you used my card, I'd get a notification from amazon directly, or if not directly - I'd see the bill for however much (say, 50-100) and I'd call my credit card company AND amazon. couldn't amazon SEE what was happening?

I just don't get it.
Pm me I want to say thing but don't want to offend peeps.

Pleco

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Yep and what if they are in a separate "Spam" world and the only way to contact us is through mturk... The hits are actually not real and just figments of our imagination and we aren't really doing them.
I think it's safer for everyone that we stop thinking about how those HITs work, lest we discover the horrible truth.

sryan66611

Contributor
Reaction score

I just don't get it.
Yea I really don't get it either... I mean there has to be a reason they are doing it and I am sure there is some kind of revenue involved as they aren't just donating to us... I initially thought they were trying to get their site higher ranked on google to get their product marketed but I don't even think they have a product on the website.

catnapped

Relatively Unknown Member
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'd kind of wondered if the expensive ones (the ones without a submit button) were money laundering off of stolen credit cards. Post them using CC funding and whoever submits those (that's on the person's list of 'good' worker IDs) gets approved and paid in cash (from Amz) while everyone else is rejected. Since 99% of the people wouldn't have a clue how to submit a broken hit anyway, they figure those get tossed back.

Definitely Not Riss

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I really don't get it either... I mean there has to be a reason they are doing it and I am sure there is some kind of revenue involved as they aren't just donating to us... I initially thought they were trying to get their site higher ranked on google to get their product marketed but I don't even think they have a product on the website.
The website is full of filler articles, even the site is a scam.

Reactions: Pleco and jan

catnapped

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Cheap Sergeys (Brins) if you're into that

catnapped

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Experience sessions with an expert and examine its quality | PANDA
Requester: Soluto [A3INUYOQMXW2ND] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★ 1.00 Communicativity★★★★★ 5.00 Generosity★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness★★★★ 4.33 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 8
TOS Flags: 1
Submit a new TO review
Description: Provide feedback regarding experience, call quality and issues
Time: 30 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $2.50
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is greater than 100;Masters has been granted;HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 95;Location is US

Pleco

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Reactions: jan and CloudNine

Definitely Not Riss

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Carnegie Mellon University - decision survey (I)(~ 4 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: David Danks [AG173QPK6BG6T] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭☭ 0.00 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭☭ 3.89 Generosity
☭☭☭☭ 4.43 Fairness
☭☭☭☭ 4.83 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 12
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: A survey about the happiness you get from different events
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $0.35
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95; Location is one of: US; Exc: [-163388619-8263] has not been granted

Status
Not open for further replies.