03/19 - Thrifty Thursday

What size screen do you mainly turk with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumius

Reaction score
It's still hilarious to me that the Kelsey Autin survey exploring why minorities are underpaid at work, is itself 75 cents for 30 min, underpaying the minorities who take it at the tune of $1.50/hr :LOL:

ekkirksey

Contributor
Reaction score
HIT Time: 6 min 0 sec

Title: Choices and Judgments(~ 12 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Nate Cheek [A20FNDOAL4RK6N] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$17.38] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.06] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=61] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.50
Duration: 50:00
Available: 0
Description: A survey about choices
Qualifications: Not available from queue exports.

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Do I go ahead and submit ETH DeSciL hit with mturk ID after trouble ticket sent?

Nevermind, found my answer -no

Last edited:

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Reactions: JanetW

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
It's still hilarious to me that the Kelsey Autin survey exploring why minorities are underpaid at work, is itself 75 cents for 30 min, underpaying the minorities who take it at the tune of $1.50/hr :LOL:
or the income inequality in america studies that also become way underpaid.

ChrisTurk

Reaction score
There's a secret one over at TV and people pay $20 to use it, the author of it is legit ChrisTurk @ChrisTurk . Doubt he would put anyone's account at risk . I wouldn't use any other one though not knowing what the authors intentions are. But yea use at your own risk. PC works pretty good for me, i haven't ever looked into those AA scripts though
"secret" :ROFL:

I think at the point federal governments are funding research to study it, it's not really secret anymore - which is something I'm working super hard to address but :)
setting up a script that accepts any hit over... lets say...a dollar.
Honestly it's totally up to you, it seems like there's a bunch of monkeys running Mturk so they could change their minds anytime and consider something breaking the TOS when it was fine for years.
Man I hate when people scoop up surveys that are FOR A CERTAIN WORKER ID and I have to sit here and wait for the brain trust to realize it's not for them and THROW IT BACK.
Since I was tagged in this anyway, Minky's post is an excellent example of why Amazon should straight up suspend anyone using some of those tools out there. People like to point at the line that says "automated completion of work" but not far away from it there is a tagline that mentions "disruption of service"

If an AA accepts someone else's compensation HIT because it's not reading the title and making an intelligent, human-like decision about what it should be doing there the person running it deserves to eat a suspension. They're disrupting everyone else's day for no good reason other than the guy who believes everything should be "free and open source" quickly realized doing tech support without being paid sucks balls & bailed after getting his rocks off totally sticking it to "the man". There are no less than a dozen other things anything making decisions on workflow on behalf of a user should be accounting for that not a single other tool I've seen even attempts to do.

That's fine(ish) when it's being used by the sole dev and the impact is all but invisible but distributing it is an entirely different world. People release these things flippantly with zero thought to security or intelligence of the application or what the ramifications on the overall marketplace are (or the services they're using to run them). I (fairly) take heat & have accepted some level of anger for not releasing mine but it's constantly been a decision about the level of risk I'm willing to personally accept for other people's behavior. If someone is using my tool to stupidly collect every HIT that passes their scraper, even if I've put in measures to prevent/reduce it, I'm the one Amazon is going to be sending a legal letter to.

It's one of those things you wont get suspended for until you do. The tool itself has some pretty glaringly abusive flaws, and if/when MTurk looks at the metrics that matter the chopping block will come down on users using the most flawed tools first. For me, recently, it definitely has become a question of is not providing workers with a safe, effective tool causing more issues than it is solving & there are a # of folks here who can attest to the level of thought & planning I put into answering those kinds of questions before acting like an idiot. But then I act like an idiot anyway, because I am what I is :p
And just as importantly, an increasing number of requesters are aware of this type of script. And they don't like it. And I've seen several complain about it. They've got to be complaining to Amazon, too.. I don't doubt that's one reason you see so many good paying HITs posted as low pay--or zero pay--and with promised bonuses. To avoid the autoaccepters getting it all. After all, the essence of the crowd is to have a large, broad range of individuals do the work. Not a select handful of aggressive script users. You must have noticed that the same handful of workers seem to always grab the best stuff. They get it when everyone else is scrabbling for just an occasional HIT--panda'ing and hoping for an abandoned HIT........And yes, I've seen some people lose their accounts and claim it was one of those scripts...I've also seen this type of scripting used ever since I've been doing this....Incidentally, at the time I started turking, Amazon TOS forbid the use of scripts. They claimed that they were bots, since they did the work for you. You can see how that worked out....all n all it's questionable. And the biggest question is when, not if, Amazon takes action.
Just for balance.. I've worked with a wide, wide range of academic requesters and even attended an academic conference recently where I fairly openly spoke to a # of people about what I/TV do, and in general this kind of thing is not a concern when it is explained and implemented properly. Where the line for proper is.. :dunno: guess we'll find out when AMT suspends everyone & their mother :ROFL:

One scammer can submit 25 HITs before anyone completing work properly, even with AA, can get through 2 so the measurable impact is disproportionately skewed towards jerks.

HelloHello

Reaction score
UNR says no refund for dorms, tuition. Students can get partial refund for parking

This is unconscionable they forced all the students to leave the dorms yesterday and they're not refunding meal plans either - they're starting online learning on March 23 so I get the tuition part . . .

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: $2.50 for a one-time use of an app on your Android device!(~ 12 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Kambiz Saffarizadeh [A2C7R89MFYIYYX] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$13.47] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.67] [Fast=3.67] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=3] [ToS=0]
Reward: 2.50
Duration: 45:00
Available: 0
Description: You need to download a small app on your “Android” device (~1 min), interact with the app (~6 mins), and answer some questions (~5 mins)

HelloHello

Reaction score
User Testing Buddies. I did a Live Interview this morning and there was no problem with my Zoom video uploading. I was kinda nervous given the warning on the site.

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: 6-min research survey: Attitudes and Health Perceptions | Accept
Requester: hallgeir sjåstad [ALQ2XAWOJ1V91] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$6.85] [Pay=Low] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.33] [Fast=4.91] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=28] [ToS=0]
Reward: 0.40
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: This HIT/survey must be completed on a PC, Mac or tablet (NOT phone). You will read instructions carefully, and then respond to different questions regarding your general attitudes and health perceptions.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Nine part English language study - Part 4(~ 20 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Briana Chang [A1PDD7NNUS1A84] [TurkerView]
Description: Complete up to 9 English language activities through April 16th - Part 4
Duration: ~90min
Reward: $5.00
Qualifications:
  • Inc: [19-204456] Exist
  • Exc: [205045-204456] DoesNotExis
  • Location In US
HIT Time: 2 min, 39 sec
Catchability: Great
Pros: Part 4 of possible 9.
Cons: Writing.

coffeeowl

hoo?