03/26 - Mod, Mentor, & Admin Appreciation Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
Make sure you tell the dentist/assistants that you're nervous. That is seriously the best thing you can do so that they can try to make you more comfortable. Obsessing over it every day until your appt will not help you any, however. There is literally nothing else you can do but wait and let them know what's up. Anything else is just wasted energy, spend it on better pursuits.
I’m just going to tell them I haven’t been to the dentist in a long time and then I’ll say what you’re saying about being a little nervous. You’re right

Reactions: jklmnop and <Gucci>

<Gucci>

Francis Manancis ...fuck you...
Threaderator
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Make sure you tell the dentist/assistants that you're nervous. That is seriously the best thing you can do so that they can try to make you more comfortable.
Mine hooks me up with some Valium while I’m sitting there or halcion. It’s excellent.
I’m not pro drug abuse. I’m pro drugs when needed in a medical situation.
Like when terrified of the dentist. :D
Yeah peachy I agree with this let them know that you are nervous and ask them if they can make you more comfortable for sure!

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
I dont know enough about baseball but maybe I should start watching this year because I do like the playoffs when they are on but I dont know what team to pick lol Im from NY but I HATE the yankees and the mets suck. Suggestions?

I switched it up, coding is REALLY hard imo, well me for personally at least, so Im gunna go get my CDL and then start working in texas area I think after that. Once I get my own truck ill be on the move all the time but Im trying to think of where I want my home base to be and its either gunna be texas or florida because im done with the snow
damn. hop on the Astros bandwagon. especially if your new homebase will be in the Texas area. how long does it take to get a CDL? that’s awesome though

Reactions: <Gucci>

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
I dont know enough about baseball but maybe I should start watching this year because I do like the playoffs when they are on but I dont know what team to pick lol Im from NY but I HATE the yankees and the mets suck. Suggestions?

I switched it up, coding is REALLY hard imo, well me for personally at least, so Im gunna go get my CDL and then start working in texas area I think after that. Once I get my own truck ill be on the move all the time but Im trying to think of where I want my home base to be and its either gunna be texas or florida because im done with the snow
The Astros are easy to root for!.

Reactions: GoldenTemple

GoldenTemple

Serial Liker
Contributor
Reaction score
damn. hop on the Astros bandwagon. especially if your new homebase will be in the Texas area. how long does it take to get a CDL? that’s awesome though
okay ill hop on the astros bandwagon unless they suck really bad lmao then I am liable to jump ship :bode::bolt:

I think they were saying 3 weeks to get my cdl and then 2 months of on the road training with an instructor, they are gunna give me $700 paychecks, 3 meals a day and pay for my hotel while in training and then 700 - 1k paychecks for the OTR training so I couldnt say no to that amount of money. they way they get you is they make you sign a contract saying you will work for their company for at least 1-2 years after training and you have to pay back everything if you void the contract but its only a year or two so im 99% positive i wont have any problems. get some nice paychecks, move to a new state and get a fresh start, really cant say no to that you know?

MagicalStreams

I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Reaction score
Im trying to think of where I want my home base to be and its either gunna be texas or florida because im done with the snow
No state tax is not a bad perk either..... My husband is a OTR driver, been that way for 26 years, if you ever have any questions, he'll give you the no BS reply, not a cherry picked answer the recruiters and schools try to blow up your butt.

MagicalStreams

Reaction score
I think they were saying 3 weeks to get my cdl and then 2 months of on the road training with an instructor, they are gunna give me $700 paychecks, 3 meals a day and pay for my hotel while in training and then 700 - 1k paychecks for the OTR training so I couldnt say no to that amount of money. they way they get you is they make you sign a contract saying you will work for their company for at least 1-2 years after training
My husband said, that he thinks a 2 yr commitment is too long. He said most companies that offer On the Job Training will ask for 6 months to 1 year commitment. He also wanted me to express to you, that always take what they are offering you for $ and divide it by 70. OTR drivers have a 70 hour work week, not a 40 like the average joes. So that $700 is $10 per hour, and that $1k is about $14.25 an hour.Most OTR make mileage pay, and most companies will govern their trucks, so there is definite limit to what you can make a week.

For example, if they offer 38cents a mile. and your truck is governed at 65 (which most companies will be between 62 and 68) considering open road, no slow downs or traffic ( which never happens unless you're in Montana, or the Dakota's. on average there is a big city every 400 miles. ) you could make about $24.70 per hour, you can only show yourself driving 10 hours a day, 7 days, (70 hours) So if a company or recruiter tells you you can make $2k a week, you know that's BS because the math tells you, (in PERFECT conditions with no weather, traffic or anything) the MOST you could make is $1729 a week. In the Real world a solo driver can adequately obtain 2200 to 2800 miles per week.

He also said no matter what, never, EVER work for Swift Transportation they are bait and switch artists that waste your time, and take half your $. He said over the years, he's seen first hand the way Swift takes advantage of people trying to break into the industry and it's just wrong what they do.

Good Luck with your endeavors! I hope you enjoy the open road.

GoldenTemple

Serial Liker
Contributor
Reaction score
My husband said, that he thinks a 2 yr commitment is too long. He said most companies that offer On the Job Training will ask for 6 months to 1 year commitment. He also wanted me to express to you, that always take what they are offering you for $ and divide it by 70. OTR drivers have a 70 hour work week, not a 40 like the average joes. So that $700 is $10 per hour, and that $1k is about $14.25 an hour.Most OTR make mileage pay, and most companies will govern their trucks, so there is definite limit to what you can make a week.

For example, if they offer 38cents a mile. and your truck is governed at 65 (which most companies will be between 62 and 68) considering open road, no slow downs or traffic ( which never happens unless you're in Montana, or the Dakota's. on average there is a big city every 400 miles. ) you could make about $24.70 per hour, you can only show yourself driving 10 hours a day, 7 days, (70 hours) So if a company or recruiter tells you you can make $2k a week, you know that's BS because the math tells you, (in PERFECT conditions with no weather, traffic or anything) the MOST you could make is $1729 a week. In the Real world a solo driver can adequately obtain 2200 to 2800 miles per week.

He also said no matter what, never, EVER work for Swift Transportation they are bait and switch artists that waste your time, and take half your $. He said over the years, he's seen first hand the way Swift takes advantage of people trying to break into the industry and it's just wrong what they do.

Good Luck with your endeavors! I hope you enjoy the open road.

This was an awesome write up! The 700 for the first 3 weeks is okay for me because I will be getting my CDL license at their facility so I am okay with that because I wont actually be on the road at that point. I dont mind the 14.25 per hour pay either for training because getting paid $15 an hour to learn a new skill is pretty fair compensation. After training though I want to be hitting realistically $1300 a week BUT I am okay with 1k paychecks! because you are right 70 hours a week is a big deal but Ive done that when I was in the military and I did that work for minimum wage so this would be a HUGE Improvement. And dont worry, its not swift! Ive done my research and I know how terrible of a company they are LOL Lots of pissed off truckers on youtube were giving me the business cut and dry! Seriously thank you so much for this write up! Tell your husband I think its awesome he has done this for 26 years. Truckers make society run, they bring the food and goods into our communities but they dont get enough respect so I respect him!

Last edited:

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to today's MTurk Crowd work thread!

Please check out the forum guidelines.

Maybe you need some help getting started?

Want more info about how the forum works?

NEW! Would you like to contribute an idea about the future of the forum? Feel free to share your thoughts here.

Please let a mod know if you have any questions, and have a great turking day! - MTC staff

I'll try to keep this as short and as understandable as possible. I just want to extend my thanks to each and every person that has helped make this forum what it is. :love: I think it is easy to forget some of the stressful things the staff has to deal with, and I feel that it requires a genuine love for the community to keep everything going smoothly. I wanted to include the mentors as well because of how helpful they are and it is rare to see a question go unanswered. It is an honor to give back to the community who has taught me so much; I'd like to think that I speak on behalf of all the mentors. If you get the chance, you should thank one of the staff members today; they certainly deserve it. I love MTC (almost) as much as I do Metallica, which is kinda sorta a lot, and I hope both will be around for many more years to come.

What a great way to get going this week. I appreciate this forum so much. This place has been the best information, encouragement, community...it's really been fantastic. Thank you for posting this good dose of appreciation and thank you so much MTurk Crowd!

MagicalStreams

Reaction score
Daily conundrum......

If there is no audio.... how can I ascertain if a human is performing the action of answering questions......

I need more coffee....

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Daily conundrum......

If there is no audio.... how can I ascertain if a human is performing the action of answering questions......

I need more coffee....
The question you should really be asking is, "Could this person be performing the action of answering questions?" (lips moving, head nodding, etc.)
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.