• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Sometimes it's normal. When I was little and I didn't know how to pronounce things I would do that. Are they new words or old? And how old is he? My youngest son had to go to speech therapy because he couldn't say the hard "r" sound for awhile, mostly because when he was little his brother and sister would speak for him a lot instead of letting him speak.
They're old words. For example yesterday he was trying to say something was on the couch and he got stuck on 'on' and finally gave up after 9 tries and just pointed to it. He's 3.5.

Reactions: LucyO

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
They're old words. For example yesterday he was trying to say something was on the couch and he got stuck on 'on' and finally gave up after 9 tries and just pointed to it. He's 3.5.
I would try to work with him to get him to say it for a week or so and if he can't, I'd do like CrazyCatLady @CrazyCatLady suggested and take him to the speech therapist. I waited too long with my youngest son because I thought it would get better and I didn't get him in until he was almost 6. It then took a few years to correct.

Reactions: themildone

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
completely unrelated child development question
It is pretty normal.

My 3 year old is working on 'dominoes' right now and gets hung up on it bad. He will say it about fifty times in a row, trying to get it right. It's just how they develop through persistence.

I would only get concerned if kiddo starts tripping up on multiple words frequently to the point that it becomes a distraction.

That said, it never hurts to ask the little one's doctor.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Morning, all.

Spent yesterday arguing with my bank about how I can spend my own money.

They have a hard $500 daily withdrawal limit for ATM or debit/credit card. I can write out a check for more but that is a huge pain in the ass when trying to buy anything online.

So I am thinking of getting the Paypal Mastercard Cash card and just loading my paypal account and using that for large purchases. Anyone have experience with that?

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
It is pretty normal.

My 3 year old is working on 'dominoes' right now and gets hung up on it bad. He will say it about fifty times in a row, trying to get it right. It's just how they develop through persistence.

I would only get concerned if kiddo starts tripping up on multiple words frequently to the point that it becomes a distraction.

That said, it never hurts to ask the little one's doctor.
That's another reason I'm worried, because it is becoming a distraction for him. He'll either give up trying to say it or say he forgot what he was saying, and he looks so sad when it happens. I'm probably just overreacting though because my inner Dr. Google is yelling 'brain tumor!' or something else drastic.

Reactions: LucyO and sofaslug

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
That's another reason I'm worried, because it is becoming a distraction for him. He'll either give up trying to say it or say he forgot what he was saying, and he looks so sad when it happens. I'm probably just overreacting though because my inner Dr. Google is yelling 'brain tumor!' or something else drastic.
Dr. Google is a cancer of the internet.

Still, if it is a concern I wouldn't hesitate to consult a doctor.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Ideology and Policy Ratings (~ 15 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Shelby Boggs [ACHWJJUQYHNA8] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$10.69] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=5.00] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=4] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=9.96] [Pen=0.02] [Res=null] [Rec=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 45:00
Available: 12
Description: You will complete a series of questionnaires regarding political ideology and social issues
Qualifications: Total approved HITs LessThanOrEqualTo 500000; Exc: [-1572827931-140251] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 96; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.9
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
.[/td][/tr]

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Good morning. If I had to explain how I'm feeling this morning, this is the best description I can think of:

I was actually jamming out to this and thought it perfectly sums up my Friday mood:

Reactions: Goat

tcal

Real Human Bean
Reaction score
My daughter started doing the same thing about about the same age! We got in touch with a speech therapist who said its pretty common for kids around that age (especially ones who started talking early or liked to talk a lot). She said its mostly because the thought is formed in their head but they don't slow down to think about how to communicate it. Like they just want all their words out at once that their brain can't keep up.

We met with a therapist for like 2-3 months and she focused a lot on helping our daughter essentially take a breath and think about what she wanted to say. She also gave my wife and I some tips about how we can help her too. She is turning 5 next week and we haven't had any issues since then.

Reading your comments sounds almost exactly like our experience.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
My daughter started doing the same thing about about the same age! We got in touch with a speech therapist who said its pretty common for kids around that age (especially ones who started talking early or liked to talk a lot). She said its mostly because the thought is formed in their head but they don't slow down to think about how to communicate it. Like they just want all their words out at once that their brain can't keep up.

We met with a therapist for like 2-3 months and she focused a lot on helping our daughter essentially take a breath and think about what she wanted to say. She also gave my wife and I some tips about how we can help her too. She is turning 5 next week and we haven't had any issues since then.

Reading your comments sounds almost exactly like our experience.
That's so relieving! That's what the saner part of me was thinking, that he's just trying to talk too fast. I've been trying to get him to take a deep breath or pause for a minute, but then he'll just forget what he was saying lol

Reactions: tcal and LucyO

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Morning, all.

Spent yesterday arguing with my bank about how I can spend my own money.

They have a hard $500 daily withdrawal limit for ATM or debit/credit card. I can write out a check for more but that is a huge pain in the ass when trying to buy anything online.

So I am thinking of getting the Paypal Mastercard Cash card and just loading my paypal account and using that for large purchases. Anyone have experience with that?
That is really low for a bank. I would ask them if they could increase it and if not find another bank. Most banks I've encountered have at least a $2500 daily withdrawal limit and a few that didn't have a limit at all as long as you've got the money in the bank.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have an interesting question, what do you do when you think your kid is trying to take advantage of you?

tcal

Real Human Bean
Reaction score
That's so relieving! That's what the saner part of me was thinking, that he's just trying to talk too fast. I've been trying to get him to take a deep breath or pause for a minute, but then he'll just forget what he was saying lol
Exactly! As parents we were feeling bad because you could tell she was feeling pretty frustrated by it too. It took some practice but the therapist was really helpful in showing us things like how we could model speech for her (things like taking a breath or even expressing "let me think about this")

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
That is really low for a bank. I would ask them if they could increase it and if not find another bank. Most banks I've encountered have at least a $2500 daily withdrawal limit and a few that didn't have a limit at all as long as you've got the money in the bank.
It is a regional bank because it is the only bank in town. I live in butt fuck Michigan where the next closest bank is 7 miles...and it has similar limits. I would have to drive 18 miles to get to a 'real bank.'

It's part of the joy of being stuck in rural 'Murica.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
I have an interesting question, what do you do when you think your kid is trying to take advantage of you?
Call them out on it, directly. Don't tip toe around the issue. Scare them into realizing what will happen if they keep it up. With issues like these being direct is the best way to get their attention. Kids and teens like to be manipulative and see what they can get away with. Put up a firm wall and don't budge an inch on it. Only works if everyone in the situation follows the same rules, though.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Call them out on it, directly. Don't tip toe around the issue. Scare them into realizing what will happen if they keep it up. With issues like these being direct is the best way to get their attention. Kids and teens like to be manipulative and see what they can get away with. Put up a firm wall and don't budge an inch on it. Only works if everyone in the situation follows the same rules, though.
Basically daughter who doesn't live here, we watch her kid once a week overnight...anytime we have a lot of things going on..She'll start texting like crazy saying things like "she misses you" it's really frustrating it's like you are taking advantage of us being kind. The abuse or expectations of a privilege you don't have to be given is a big pet peeve of mine.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
It depends on what they are trying to take advantage of you over. I had a lot of issues with my oldest son when he was still living at home with him trying to show his dominance. I tried a ton of different methods, but he was pretty difficult. Our relationship didn't get better until he moved out.

Reactions: Type2Work
Status
Not open for further replies.