05/10 - Flood Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
So just saved the biggest red bellied slider turtle I’ve ever seen. She was on a terrible blind curve of the road. She was so huge and I was rushing so I didn’t get hit, so I struggled to keep her far enough from my body and she peed on me.
She was probably on her way to lay eggs, being the time of year that it is. Good chance she was also 10+ years old if she was that big. Awesome of you to save the little lady!

KittyTacos

Reaction score
So just saved the biggest red bellied slider turtle I’ve ever seen. She was on a terrible blind curve of the road. She was so huge and I was rushing so I didn’t get hit, so I struggled to keep her far enough from my body and she peed on me.

On a forum I used to be active on, a poster wrote that while driving down a 4-lane road, she stopped to rescue a turtle. She then drove about 20 miles to a nearby lake, where she left the turtle.

Another poster responded, 'you shouldn't have done that. Now he's gonna spend the rest of his turtle life trying to get back home."

Apparently, they're territorial. Don't know if that's true; I never bothered to search that out.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
On a forum I used to be active on, a poster wrote that while driving down a 4-lane road, she stopped to rescue a turtle. She then drove about 20 miles to a nearby lake, where she left the turtle.

Another poster responded, 'you shouldn't have done that. Now he's gonna spend the rest of his turtle life trying to get back home."

Apparently, they're territorial. Don't know if that's true; I never bothered to search that out.
They are but not THAT territorial. If it is a mother turtle trying to get to a laying spot she will just locate a new spot nearby. Male turtles tend to wander back toward familiar territory but they are surprisingly adaptable.

I used to volunteer to monitor turtle species in northern Michigan and my buddy and I once found a slider with a very specific scar on his shell in a lake 9 miles from where we had originally seen him two years earlier. For something so slow they definitely get around.

cassius

Reaction score

dodo or somebody did an article on that. That the turtles come back to their spots to lay the eggs even if that spot has been paved over with a road.

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: Answer a survey about experiences in your life | PANDA
Requester: Meghan McDarby [A1CIXX5P6626KB]
TurkerView: [ $12.16 / hour ]
Description: Tell us about your life and about important moments that define your life
Duration: 60 Min
Available: 1
Reward: $3.00
Qualifications:
  • taken the survey 2x DoesNotExist
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 90
[38FT9G80EMQPCIII4X1J11FW5X1HL8]

Reactions: LucyO

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: Academic Study on Learning and Preferences(~ 25 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: ELP Lab [ABJCVL1B2I361]
TurkerView: [ $15.10 / hour ]
Description: This academic study will take about 25 mins and will involve viewing and evaluating pictures and making predictions. Inquisit is required to complete this HIT.
Duration: 65 Min
Reward: $4.50
Qualifications:
  • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100
  • Exc: [458754898-144875] DoesNotExist
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90
  • Location In US
[3XHSLX0964PXYUQRSW0YNL5PCO2Q8P]

Reactions: DatJersey and LucyO

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
dodo or somebody did an article on that. That the turtles come back to their spots to lay the eggs even if that spot has been paved over with a road.
It depends on the species. Snappers will do that, sea turtles, many tortoises, but a lot of freshwater turtles really take a fuck it attitude.

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: Answer a survey about your financial behavior | PANDA
Requester: Casey Newmeyer [A1E1T9H7XS3FJ5]
TurkerView: [ $17.71 / hour ]
Description: Give us your opinion about financial decisions
Duration: 240 Min
Reward: $1.25
Qualifications:
  • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 5000
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 97
  • Location EqualTo US
[30F178BT5TQE53UORMLU2T0LYHFATH]

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
She was probably on her way to lay eggs, being the time of year that it is. Good chance she was also 10+ years old if she was that big. Awesome of you to save the little lady!
i know! :) I work in a park. I couldnt let that big of a turtle go. I just put her in the direction she was going, to a field. :) I move a lot on this road, the park is on a big river. Right outside of my office sliders tend to lay eggs.

savvy

Reaction score

Yeah you're not generally supposed to relocate them far. They have quite the internal GPS.

savvy

Reaction score
GOOD MORNING

LucyO @LucyO savvy @savvy feed cat last night right before bed, and turned off all the lights. It seemed to work last night. She only cried at the door once at the very beginning. :hail:
yaaay! Now if only it works for a while. Cats are annoyingly smart and tenacious.

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: Eyewitness Memory (Part 1)(~ 6 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Eyewitness Lab [A23G14DF61WLWN]
TurkerView: [ $21.81 / hour ]
Description: You will watch a short non-violent video of a crime being committed, before answering some questions about what you saw. You may be invited to participate in a follow-up.
Duration: 30 Min
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications:
  • Exc: [4642726-145432] DoesNotExist
  • 83e617d4 DoesNotExist
  • Location In AU, CA, GB, NZ, US
  • 27133a7c DoesNotExist
[3TJJ8HSJWJBAYO3GQTNB9BRAZ91820]

QueenOfScreams

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Survey 10-05-2019 | PANDA
Requester: Research Surveys [A6AILYBOSANIR] (Contact)
TV: [Hrly: $null] [Pay: null] [Fast: null] [Comm: null] [Rej: null] [ToS: 0] [Blk: null]
TO: [Pay: 2.78] [Fast: 4.39] [Comm: 4.60] [Fair: 4.46] [Reviews: 519] [ToS: 5]
TO2:
No Reviews
Reward: $0.65
Duration: 25 days
Available: 25
Description: This survey will take 10 minutes to complete. The webpage will automatically check whether you have done a similar survey before. You will be asked to complete several separate tasks
Requirements: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 97; Location EqualTo US

5 mins, but FYI - nothing needs to be downloaded (not trying to go into survey content, but someone reported it for that) also, the link they give you is broken but all you need to do is delete the two https in the address bar and just load it as is. if anyone's confused @ me lol

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Title: Answer a survey about your financial behavior | Accept
Requester: Casey Newmeyer [A1E1T9H7XS3FJ5] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$16.76] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.24] [Fast=4.17] [Comm=2.89] [Fair=3.94] [Reviews=64] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.25
Duration: 4:00:00
Description: Give us your opinion about financial decisions
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 5000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 97; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.9
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
11 minutes[/td][/tr]

Status
Not open for further replies.