The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Reactions: aturkerhiding

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but kittens knead the momma cat to encourage the milk to come out. You'll notice them doing this when they nurse.
yeah its a learned behavior. Some of them still do it if they were separated from their mom at a young age as a form of comfort.

Reactions: WalkingEmphasis

WalkingEmphasis

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but kittens knead the momma cat to encourage the milk to come out. You'll notice them doing this when they nurse.
Some of my cats still do this when they drink from their water bowl. It's adorable, even though it's kind of sad since I know it means they were probably separated from their mom too young.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Doesn't explain why they continue to do it through adulthood. I saw one of my cats kneading and licking a plastic bag last week.

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score
It was probably me. The fact you stuck around after such an unpleasant encounter can only speak to your certitude and unfathomable force of will.
You may be right but I don't get the feeling that you were trying to run me off. Could also be that I can be quite oblivious a lot of the time. :D Sometimes by choice.

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't explain why they continue to do it through adulthood. I saw one of my cats kneading and licking a plastic bag last week.
They associate contentedness with nursing, and do that as a sign of it.

(It also works their scent into the things they love...)

Reactions: Vanyanka

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Some of my cats still do this when they drink from their water bowl. It's adorable, even though it's kind of sad since I know it means they were probably separated from their mom too young.
My cat was kept with her mom and littermates an appropriate length of time and she kneads me and sucks on my clothes and tries to bury any food around the house. Especially my wine. Sometimes cats (and people) are just weirdos. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.