Not open for further replies.

basketcasey

Curiouser and curiouser
Mentor
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Super Smart
Reaction score
I used to rock bud light all the time. Now it's more expensive, craft beer, but I drink less of it :wink: And it's delicious. Not that I don't enjoy a nice, frosty bud light from time to time.
Same, but I still like to drink PBR cause I'm classy as fuck.

Reactions: Rerun

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
circumstances. I bought a car 6 months or so ago. My sister and her brother in law have a lot of financial problems and didn't have a car. I moved in with them, they take my car all day to go to work and pick up the kids and stuff. I'd leave, but I'm new to the area, and I give them all my money so they can pay the bills and buy food. I literally work 15-18 hours a day to float them right now. I enjoy the work actually, I relate it in a lot of ways to video games...but damn, I could use a day off, a trip to the grocery store, something. I was talking (emailing) my sister about it today...It's actually been more like 3 or 4 weeks that I've left the house for anything other than taking them to or from work, or picking the kids up from school. I make a lot more money than most turkers, but at the expense of hours at the computer...without it, we would all literally be homeless.

They got evicted from their expensive apartment right when I moved in (it was only supposed to be very temporary) We lived in a hotel for a month at 100 a day. Our only option was to find a private landlord that wouldn't check credit. The only place we found was 3500 sq. feet, 2000 a month plus utilities, paying to have the yard mowed each week (because that was only 35 a week and we couldn't scrape together 200 for a lawnmower all at once) When you struggle, you pay late fees. Last week, my sister incurred over 400 in overdraft fees from her bank, plus late fees on utilites, cable, etc.

I was having trouble finding a job...my sister mentioned one night she would do surveys. I was like...I'll do mturk. I hadn't done it since 2014, and when I first started doing it, I only did it for a few months before getting burned out. I'm over a month in, and doing things a lot different this time around. I'm making enough money that I enjoy it for the most part, but I still feel like a slave to an oppressor. Having adults in your family that act like children is frustrating to say the least.

But they have two great kids, a dog, a bird, and the appearance of a healthy life. Maybe I'm enabling them, maybe I'm keeping their kids from a homeless shelter. I struggle with all of this, plus my own problems everyday.
Well, damn. That reads like a James Michener novel. Holy shit, man [ Christopher is shaking his head in total, abject disbelief ]. I'm not sure how to even approach this.

a. you ..... deserve ...... a ........ frigging ......... BREAK, and I sincerely hope you sister was enthusiastic about the idea. Family loyalty is supposed to flow in more than one direction.

... Actually, you didn't ask me for comment or advice so forget my "approaching" this somehow. But I do want to say that you do deserve some kind of Brother of the Year Award for what you are doing, and you're loyalty. You are quite a young man. It sounds like you are working the best of a bad situation: "Having adults in your family that act like children is frustrating to say the least." I'm sure it is. And it's obviously the nub of the whole situation.

I am still sitting here aghast. I think the best I can say right now is that I greatly admire you, and my hat is off to you, sir.

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
I used to rock bud light all the time. Now it's more expensive, craft beer, but I drink less of it :wink: And it's delicious. Not that I don't enjoy a nice, frosty bud light from time to time.
It's what I drink out of boredom. And obviously, I'm an alcoholic.

Reactions: Pleco
Status
Not open for further replies.