• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Hi, everybody.

I just want to kinda give a run-down of where things are at with the forum update and maybe clear up some confusion/questions that I've seen. I tried to knock out as much as I could over the weekend, but there's still really a lot that needs to be done here, so it's still very much a work in progress.

First, the MTC Enhancement Script: This was a script that was made by Kadauchi @Kadauchi a few years ago that put certain options in the thread tools at the top of the page, like the ability to show only HIT posts, hide masters HITs, play alerts when HITs posted, etc. He is working on getting this updated for us, but he has his own stuff to deal with as well, so it could be a few days. Just try to be patient. I also want to point out that this script was not a contributor-only thing and it will continue to be available to everybody once it's updated. Also, it was not related to the live thread update options that were also in the thread tools. Those were a separate thing.

Live update: The addon that we used to use for automatically showing new posts was never updated for the newer XenForo versions, so I had to find something else that can do the same thing. Unfortunately, the only alternative that I could find doesn't really offer much in the way of customization. It's sorta just an on or off thing that only staff can set for people. I'm not crazy about how it works and I can certainly understand why some people might not be happy with not being able to turn off the post jump. When things get a little more settled I'm going to look into a way to disable this for the people that have donated, but don't want it. That could be a week or two off, though. In the meantime, if you don't want the page constantly jumping to new posts, just scroll up a bit. It will only jump to new posts if you're towards the bottom of the page.

Some scripts/extensions have been affected by the update and aren't working as they should. The main ones that I'm aware of are MTS' ability to export HITs directly to the forum and the Panda Crazy helper buttons that show up on HIT posts. Those are things that are going to need to be taken care of by their developers (I'm sorry Kadauchi @Kadauchi and Johnnyrs @Johnnyrs!! :love:) so it's not something that I can give an ETA on.

Keyword alerts: We're currently without a keyword alert addon. The developer had said back in February that they were putting updating it on hold, so I was going to shop around for an alternative. But I just came across a post by them from back in April saying that they were working on an update and hope to have a beta version out soon. That was almost two months ago, so I'm not sure how soon is "soon", but I've decided to just wait on that instead.

The default font: I'm aware that it's kinda small and I'm not that happy with it. I'm considering changing the default, but it's going to require a bit of work because these themes were really designed around this very specific font size. I'll have to edit a lot of the CSS to make sure things display properly if I increase the default, so it's not something I'm going to have time for right away. For now, you can change it in your preferences if it's bothering you.

The reaction smilies: I've had a lot of requests for new reaction smilies, but I'm a little hesitant to add any more. We already have seven of them and I don't want to clutter the forum by adding a bunch more. I've also noticed an issue with the "Reactions received" page where if you have a lot it will take ages to load and seems to put a lot of stress on the server. I'm trying to find a solution to that, but I've so far come up with nothing, so I don't want to jump right in to adding a bunch more data that needs to be parsed on that page.

This update has also caused some issues with the server. I'm not sure if it's just much more of a resource hog than the older XenForo was or if there's something else going on, but our server load has increased by a lot since this update went live on Saturday, and we're getting a lot of random load spikes that have been creating some instability with the server. To try to minimize this, I've disabled some addons until I can figure out what's going on. One in particular that people have asked about is the addon that provides the ability to set more posts per page. I just want to kinda limit the amount of data that people are pulling from the database on each page load for the time being, but I do plan on re-enabling that addon at some point. This is my top priority right now, so everything else is kinda being put on the back burner until I can get this sorted out.

That's about all I can think of for now. Apologies if this has inconvenienced you all in any way, but I assure you I'm working as hard as I can on getting things back to normal here. I really appreciate the patience you've all shown while I deal with this stuff. Also, I just want to remind everybody that if you have questions about anything, or want to report something that you don't think is working right, please, please, please mention it in the Forum issues/feature requests thread. I can't always go through all of the work thread pages looking for complaints or questions about things, so that thread is there to make sure that I not only see the issues that you're having, but also so that I don't forget about them.

Thank you, everybody. :aveline:
Thank you so much for all that you do!!!:love:

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Under 2.5 mins.

Title: Survey on Consumer Coffee choice (approx 3 min)(~ 3 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Q. Lab [AF8FKBE8S9BK4] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$12.06] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.65] [Fast=4.92] [Comm=4.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=39] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.35
Duration: 15:00
Available: 10
Description: Short Survey on Consumer Coffee Choice and Preferences
Qualifications: Exc: [-1937123769-150539] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 98; Location In US

Mikeyyyyy

Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
When you just scrape up surveys all day taking shots on no review requesters, have no need to speed through anything because of it being a slow day, see a music survey and think 'oh that'll be a nice change of pace to do'

cb456

Let's do some hits!
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: SEGS Pig Game | PANDA
Requester: Susan Moegenburg [A6LERTPX831I2] (Req TV): $26.96/hr/hr
(TO): [Pay: N/A] [Fair: N/A] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: N/A]
Description:
simulate hog farming behavior
Time: 3 hour(s)
HITs Available: 9
Reward: $3.00
Qualifications: Location EqualTo US;
mboone73 @mboone73

Amon

Contributor
Reaction score
When you just scrape up surveys all day taking shots on no review requesters, have no need to speed through anything because of it being a slow day, see a music survey and think 'oh that'll be a nice change of pace to do'

Yeah, that's how I felt when a bunch of people including myself got rejected for penny hits for going too fast.

Reactions: Mikeyyyyy

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Title: Learning Study(~ 20 minutes) | Accept
Requester: David A Dunning [A2N0EK65M4HGDY] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$14.08] [Pay=Good] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.08] [Fast=3.88] [Comm=2.69] [Fair=4.05] [Reviews=91] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 3.00
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 0
Description: Participants will spend ~20 minutes learning and answering questions
Qualifications:

GTR

Reaction score
what does this mean on Vicky's

Task is currently not available. Please, try to complete this task later.
she's trying to tell you that
"Task is currently not available. Please, try to complete this task later."

Reactions: jan

klingeemonster

Does this poncho make me look fat?
Contributor
Reaction score
That was a nice little bonus hit. About 5 minutes.

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Marc Ragin for work related to 33QQ60S6ASID0YNADCL18MENO7MU0V.
The value of your bonus is: $4.62 USD

The Requester included this note:
Earnings in excess of base payment. Thanks!

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

Sincerely,
Amazon Mechanical Turk
https://www.mturk.com

DatJersey

Reaction score
Title: Consumer Advertisement Study(~ 12 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Eve Research Lab [A2SFFNJMFVV473] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★ 1.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 2.04 Generosity
★★★★★ 3.46 Fairness
★★★★★ 2.47 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 38 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: survey
Time: 3600
HITs Available: 4
Reward: $0.70
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 5000;HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 98;Location In US
3:30

Reactions: TotalBabe

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Last edited:

DatJersey

Reaction score
Title: Communications Effectiveness Survey | PANDA
Requester: Total Rewards [A20BT2Y6GIN2FU] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 0.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 3.00 Generosity
★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 3 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: Survey regarding how well your employer communicates with employees
Time: 600
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.75
Qualifications: Employment Status: Unemployed EqualTo 0;Location In CA,US
4:10

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Gonna cost a fortune in a house this size. Dunno w hat we are gonna do..
box fans are better than nothing (my cooling when it's season changeover between furance and AC) but I imagine not totally effective if it's humid since you are relying on evaporating perspiration from the human skin.

Reactions: Kristina M Greer
Status
Not open for further replies.