07/01 - Sunnyland Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkC

Stay awhile and listen.
Contributor
Reaction score
It was the 2013 Tomb Raider game. It's on Steam for like $3 right now, so I figured I'd get it. Seemed kinda short, but that seems to be what it takes for me these days.
That one really satisfied the pyromaniac in me. :angelic:

Reactions: aveline and ducky

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
It was the 2013 Tomb Raider game. It's on Steam for like $3 right now, so I figured I'd get it. Seemed kinda short, but that seems to be what it takes for me these days.
The last game I finished was a 3 hour game 2 months ago so I feel u

Reactions: aveline

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
That one really satisfied the pyromaniac in me. :angelic:
Ha, indeed. I really liked it. I've had the sequel to it for some time, too, but that was one of the ones that I started and never ended up finishing. I just get distracted from stuff far too easily.

Reactions: MarkC and ducky

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
The last game I finished was a 3 hour game 2 months ago so I feel u
I think my last, before this one, was Hyper Light Drifter (whenever it was that we were both playing through that :p)

Reactions: ducky

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Still trying to beat WoW, though. One of these days I'll get it.

Reactions: MarkC and ducky

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
I think my last, before this one, was Hyper Light Drifter (whenever it was that we were both playing through that :p)
that must have been around the last summer sale lol

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Participate in a 10-min receipt transcription and survey task as part of a research study | Accept
Requester: HCI Lab [A28S2SRZA50N0] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$8.94] [Pay=2.00] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.50] [Fast=4.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=2] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=30.00] [Pen=null] [Res=null] [Rec=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 3.00
Duration: 3600
Available: 1
Description: You will receive $3 for completing the survey, and a bonus of $0.04 (4 cents) for each receipt you transcribe
Qualifications: narrV1 DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 97; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: This survey will be about the usage of a DESKTOP website | Accept
Requester: Jonathan Hildebrand [A37IVWTBD21B20] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$21.61] [Pay=4.94] [Fast=4.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=1.79] [Fast=2.12] [Comm=1.73] [Fair=2.00] [Reviews=37] [ToS=4]
TO2: [Hrly=17.20] [Pen=1.00 days] [Res=100%] [Rec=14%] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 3.00
Duration: 7200
Available: 1
Description: You will review several pages on a desktop website and then be asked to provide feedback.
Qualifications: None
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Achilles2357

Reaction score
I don't really keep up with this stuff, so I could be way off, but AFAIK the only countries that have the option of being paid actual money are the US, India, and Canada (and I think they only started letting Canadians do it very recently.) Everyone else gets gift cards. As far as being able to use those gift cards, idk. I would assume they would just use the Amazon sites for their own countries?

I don't think there was really ever any intent to make MTurk into something that people make an entire living from. There's still this widely-held belief, it seems, that this is just something that most people do for fun (and that might actually be true, idk.) But I'm sure there are plenty out there who think that being able to do a handful of surveys for Amazon gift cards is just fine, maybe even fun. Look at how many people use stuff like Swagbucks. They're not being paid in cash either.
I'm getting this from my memory of a half-finished bio of Jeff Bezos (and I don't recall the title), but I think mturk dates from the early days of Amazon, and was initially intended as an internal endeavor. I think that the idea of making money on it was an afterthought. Amazon has made money on it, just as it has made money on many afterthoughts, but I don't think the potential has been fully exploited. I suspect that in the future, probably in the lives of many of us, it will be obvious that you can "make a living" on mturk style stuff, but it is not clear to me who is going to win the megabucks. It might not be Jeff Bezos.

Reactions: MarkC and aveline

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Ha, it was. I bought that and Hollow Knight.
Hollow Knight was sooo good, definitely my game of last year (that i actually played last year, anyway). Took me a bit to get into it but once I did I couldn't stop until I was done :p

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Hollow Knight was sooo good, definitely my game of last year (that i actually played last year, anyway). Took me a bit to get into it but once I did I couldn't stop until I was done :p
Yeah, I really liked it. That's definitely on my list of games that I need to go back to because I feel like I barely scratched the surface of it.

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I really liked it. That's definitely on my list of games that I need to go back to because I feel like I barely scratched the surface of it.
I might go back to it at some point, cuz they added some free DLC stuff that I never completed. I tried some of it before "finishing" the game, but it was too difficult for me. :dead:

Achilles2357

Reaction score
I could see it benefiting them if they gave an incentive to opt for a gift card. But there isn't, so why opt for that at all?
I see no rational reason for that (unless someone does not have a personal bank account and is trying to conceal income, and I don't doubt that some are in this situation), but many people are not very rational.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I might go back to it at some point, cuz they added some free DLC stuff that I never completed. I tried some of it before "finishing" the game, but it was too difficult for me. :dead:
Yeah, I need to stop trying to do extra side stuff all the time and just focus on finishing the main story in games. If I don't do it that way I get bogged down and lose interest. That happened when I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn last year. I tried from the start to go for like 100% completion, every item, etc. Then I just got bored and quit. I tried coming back to it a couple times, to just focus on finally moving the story along, but I was like 30 levels ahead of the story quests that I was doing because I had spent so much time doing extra crap. Still haven't completed it. :facepalm2:

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to stop trying to do extra side stuff all the time and just focus on finishing the main story in games. If I don't do it that way I get bogged down and lose interest. That happened when I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn last year. I tried from the start to go for like 100% completion, every item, etc. Then I just got bored and quit. I tried coming back to it a couple times, to just focus on finally moving the story along, but I was like 30 levels ahead of the story quests that I was doing because I had spent so much time doing extra crap. Still haven't completed it. :facepalm2:
I use to never do side-quest stuff but I started doing that recently, cuz I felt like I wasn't really getting the most out of the games. I mean I don't try to 100% it but if something seems interesting I try to go for it now. But, then, now I never finish anything either :p

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I use to never do side-quest stuff but I started doing that recently, cuz I felt like I wasn't really getting the most out of the games. I mean I don't try to 100% it but if something seems interesting I try to go for it now. But, then, now I never finish anything either :p
Yeah, I never know what to do. I remember getting annoyed with stuff like Fallout 3 or Skyrim where the game would seem to end abruptly and I was like, "but I'm not done yet!" So then I try to do as much extra stuff that I can in games and they always seem to end up turning into these massive 80+ hour games that I will never finish in my lifetime. Lately, I've just been looking games up before I buy them, to see how long they are. I'm not bothering with anything over 20 hours anymore. I just don't have the time or the attention span for it.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I could see it benefiting them if they gave an incentive to opt for a gift card. But there isn't, so why opt for that at all?
Gift cards were instant at one time, I believe, back when you had to choose the gift card option from within Amazon Payments and not MTurk. Even that alone would be an okay incentive for me. If I want to buy something, I might be more inclined to choose that option to get it on Amazon right away. If I have to wait 8-10 hours for it like how it's currently set up, I'll just send it to AP anyway and there's a good chance that I change my mind about making that purchase within that period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.