07/13 - Strategy Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloHello

Reaction score
Nice to be able to do so many CVT and to see this batch finished. Gonna curl up with my current book.

barny

(╯>.<)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Is it just me when I read a TO warning about a hit and see nothing but people complaining about writing a paragraph about something and roll my eyes because apparently writing a paragraph is just "way too much writing for this lucrative hit"? Like, how long does it take people to write a paragraph? Honestly not being rude with this question, but are these people still "hunt and peck" typers, or does it legitimately take more than a few minutes for most people to write a paragraph? Or is it just that people hate writing in general and can't be bothered by it? This is all mostly rhetorical on my end, but I really wonder sometimes... (This post took me less than 2 minutes to type btw. :LOL:)

MarkC

Stay awhile and listen.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just me when I read a TO warning about a hit and see nothing but people complaining about writing a paragraph about something and roll my eyes because apparently writing a paragraph is just "way too much writing for this lucrative hit"? Like, how long does it take people to write a paragraph? Honestly not being rude with this question, but are these people still "hunt and peck" typers, or does it legitimately take more than a few minutes for most people to write a paragraph? Or is it just that people hate writing in general and can't be bothered by it? This is all mostly rhetorical on my end, but I really wonder sometimes... (This post took me less than 2 minutes to type btw. :LOL:)
I'm with you and I understand. I won't throw back a hit just because it has writing. I'm a fast typer. The thinking of a time when ones tax my brain more than I'd like to admit but I can usually come up with something.

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
Some people have a system of banging out fast mouse-only/mostly-mouse HITs and hold writing HITs to another level of pay-grade. It's just how people value their time, and how much thinking of writing words is different than clicking things for them.
(And two minutes seems a little long for a paragraph that length, so maybe they feel like whatever it was wasn't worth that long of working on it.)

Reactions: barny and cyberwasp

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I've seen people do silly shit like a HIT return warning about writing on a $10/8min HIT.

Reaction score
Writing HITs are a blast - they usually give me a vehicle in which to complain.
I completed a HIT yesterday wherein I had to write a paragraph about socioeconomic situations in America. If I may say so, I provided a thorough and thoughtful response. When I clicked "next" I was informed that I would then be evaluating a brand of toothpaste. I found this quite humorous.

desallemands

Reaction score
I completed a HIT yesterday wherein I had to write a paragraph about socioeconomic situations in America. If I may say so, I provided a thorough and thoughtful response. When I clicked "next" I was informed that I would then be evaluating a brand of toothpaste. I found this quite humorous.
I like you already :)

Amon

Contributor
Reaction score
Shrug I'm a moderate speed hunt and peck typer myself. If its anything too long I just make use of voice to text and get it done much quicker.

Reactions: barny

ChrisTurk

Reaction score
Thanks @
ChrisTurk
@ChrisTurk for the update :)
Oh hey np lol.. As a head's up, it's going to start happening again tonight probably around 11PM EST (~1 hour from now) as I run some somewhat intensive update queries :wideyed:

What I emerged from the shadows to try & be helpful for was for anyone who hates X or Y whining on return reviews, I recently added some extra filters on top of the slew of toggle options already available in settings:

CHANGELOG for v10.9.0: Added some additional return review filters for experienced workers as well as begun rework around how batch reviews are processed. Will become required version for review submissions on 7/12/2019
Probably not, but real changes are:
  • You can set a minimum screener time so all those 5-15s screeners that are actually just endor/unique turker stop being as annoying
  • You can ignore return reviews from inexperienced reviewers
Fair bit of warning, writing returns are overwhelmingly coming from experienced workers (I believe the ratio hovers around 2x more likely to return as an experienced worker) so that filter wont help you, but you can def downgrade or even turn them off completely if they're not helpful

..if the above is just taking the piss b/c it's fun, please ignore, I'm tone deaf AF, also my bad on the giant image :(

Reactions: JenniLeigh

cb456

Let's do some hits!
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
eva are you ok
are you ok
eva
okayeva.

Reactions: JenniLeigh

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
It depends on the question for me. I'm not always great at coming up with stuff to write about for very open-ended questions. Stuff like those "Write about a time when...." prompts usually leave me staring blankly at the screen for extended periods of time, and if I can't think of anything I actually start to get really frustrated. Surveys are already unpleasant enough for me, so if I'm going to lose several minutes trying to figure out what to write, I might decide that it's not really worth my time.

If they're asking me to explain an answer, or to give my opinion on something, then that may be a different story. I tend to have an easier time writing about stuff like that.

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
It depends on the question for me. I'm not always great at coming up with stuff to write about for very open-ended questions. Stuff like those "Write about a time when...." prompts usually leave me staring blankly at the screen for extended periods of time, and if I can't think of anything I actually start to get really frustrated. Surveys are already unpleasant enough for me, so if I'm going to lose several minutes trying to figure out what to write, I might decide that it's not really worth my time.

If they're asking me to explain an answer, or to give my opinion on something, then that may be a different story. I tend to have an easier time writing about stuff like that.
we think alike! Your answer here beat me to it.

I wish there was a separation of writing types in the "writing complaints" reviews to help me decide whether to try to catch a survey or let it pass, but I could see where it might border on survey content disclosure issues to say what kind of writing is required.

ChrisTurk

Reaction score
I wish there was a separation of writing types in the "writing complaints" reviews to help me decide whether to try to catch a survey or let it pass
Oh.. there actually are, though I can't speak to just how effective they are, but now I have more filters to add I'm sorry :hilarious:

Reactions: cb456

barny

(╯>.<)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I'm with you and I understand. I won't throw back a hit just because it has writing. I'm a fast typer. The thinking of a time when ones tax my brain more than I'd like to admit but I can usually come up with something.
Yeah, banging out a paragraph is a pretty quick affair with me. Like you, I get a bit taxed when it's "think of a time", but once I come up with something it's super quick from there.
Some people have a system of banging out fast mouse-only/mostly-mouse HITs and hold writing HITs to another level of pay-grade.
That's a good point. I will admit that mouse hits are almost always quicker.
I've seen people do silly shit like a HIT return warning about writing on a $10/8min HIT.
Me too, and I'll just never understand that. In the time that they could've done the writing on the actual hit and made sweet cash, they instead chose to take the same amount of time coming up with a TO review on it. :facepalm2:
i saw a hit return warning today on a $1.50 hit with writing. took me 3mins
Yeah, I've seen a few in the past week just like this. I get that sometimes coming up with something to write is aggrivating, but I almost always make good money on writing surveys.
Haha, yes, this! I use writing hits to vent ALL the time. :LOL:
:LOL:
Shrug I'm a moderate speed hunt and peck typer myself. If its anything too long I just make use of voice to text and get it done much quicker.
That's a great idea actually!
Totally valid, I can understand that. To be fair, a lot of TO reviews simply say "Write about a time when...", and it makes more sense to me now. Coming up with something on the spot can admittedly be a bit tricky for some, including myself depending on the question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.