• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Pro tip confirmed. How much blood loss did you have? I'm curious from a professional stand point (nursing student).
I actually had to wait for my wife, who is a nurse to return home from her shift, before going to the ER because I had my 2 kids. The bleeding was so bad that I put my foot in a gallon zip lock while I proceeded to clean-up all of the glass. So most of the blood was contained in those and the bags are still in the bathtub... Seriously, it was about 1/2 pint. The ER nurse described the cut to the attending physician as "gnarly as hell."

Reactions: Pleco

RaffRiffofTurk

The Lord of Darkness Until 8 AM
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually had to wait for my wife, who is a nurse to return home from her shift, before going to the ER because I had my 2 kids. The bleeding was so bad that I put my foot in a gallon zip lock while I proceeded to clean-up all of the glass. So most of the blood was contained in those and the bags are still in the bathtub... Seriously, it was about 1/2 pint. The ER nurse described the cut to the attending physician as "gnarly as hell."
Ooh man that's rough. I'm glad they were able to get you fixed up before it got any worse. Arterial injuries are serious stuff.

Randomacts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Technically it is possible to stop the bleeding with a torch .. but I'm just the nurses will come in here and said that is an awful and painful idea =p

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
What exactly was the source of the broken glass anyways?
Bottle of olive oil. Slipped out of my hand while taking it out of the cupboard. Reflexively stuck my foot out break its fall, but I missed, it shattered, and I lost may balance and stepped right into the broken glass. Didn't feel any pain so I thought I dodged a bullet... then I noticed that I was standing in a puddle of blood.

RaffRiffofTurk

Contributor
Reaction score
Technically it is possible to stop the bleeding with a torch .. but I'm just the nurses will come in here and said that is an awful and painful idea =p
I mean if you are bleeding to death in the wilderness it's worth doing but in a controlled setting where you can get to a hospital it's a bad idea for a number of reasons not the least of which being shock.

Randomacts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bottle of olive oil. Slipped out of my hand while taking it out of the cupboard. Reflexively stuck my foot out break its fall, but I missed, it shattered, and I lost may balance and stepped right into the broken glass. Didn't feel any pain so I thought I dodged a bullet... then I noticed that I was standing in a puddle of blood.
I just thought of something.. you elevated your foot right? .. if not.. that is part of why you messed up a bit.

RaffRiffofTurk @RaffRiffofTurk

Can most likely give better and more complete reasons though.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
That thought crossed my mind, and I could have done that... but it was dinner time and I was worried the smell would make me even hungrier.

Reactions: Azazael and Pleco

RaffRiffofTurk

Contributor
Reaction score
I just thought of something.. you elevated your foot right? .. if not.. that is part of why you messed up a bit.

RaffRiffofTurk @RaffRiffofTurk

Can most likely give better and more complete reasons though.
That thought crossed my mind, and I could have done that... but it was dinner time and I was worried the smell would make me even hungrier.
It's gravity mainly. The heart would have to beat harder and just by having to fight the force of gravity less blood would get to the wound. See the fact you didn't feel it means it's pretty deep too so again good thing you were able to get treated. Also... I too find charred human flesh oddly appetizing. I left that off of my applications for college though.

Reactions: kryss

Randomacts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That .. that would be the blood loss making you be silly.. I would assume at least.

I mean if you are bleeding to death in the wilderness it's worth doing but in a controlled setting where you can get to a hospital it's a bad idea for a number of reasons not the least of which being shock.
It would make for a great story though.

On a side note wikihow suggest spiderwebs and hot peppers... I wonder how well that works hah

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Bleeding

Reactions: RaffRiffofTurk

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I have two small children, so I packed the cut with cotton and zip-locked my foot, while I made sure the get all of the broken glass up. There were tiny shards everywhere. However, once I got that all taken care of, I laid on my back, tipped a chair over, and kinda hung my leg over in a way to apply heavy pressure right behind my knee (popliteal artery). Two hours later in the E.R., even after they re-dressed it and packed it tightly, it was still bleeding really badly.

Reactions: RaffRiffofTurk

RaffRiffofTurk

Contributor
Reaction score
I have two small children, so I packed the cut with cotton and zip-locked my foot, while I made sure the get all of the broken glass up. There were tiny shards everywhere. However, once I got that all taken care of, I laid on my back, tipped a chair over, and kinda hung my leg over in a way to apply heavy pressure right behind my knee (popliteal artery). Two hours later in the E.R., even after they re-dressed it and packed it tightly, it was still bleeding really badly.
Yeah the fact you didn't feel it hurt acutely in spite of the blood loss says that's at least through the dermis.

Randomacts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still kind of want to imagine a kid torching your foot with a kitchen torch....

But I'm happy that you made it through all that mess... I'll have to cancel my rolling on broken glass party I guess.

Yeah the fact you didn't feel it hurt acutely in spite of the blood loss says that's at least through the dermis.
Not sure what that is.. but it doesn't sound good.

Dysphoria

Reaction score
What do you guys think of these a9 validation word surveys? I always get nervous when they could be checked against other workers answers. Got burnt in a mass rejection this way.

Randomacts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think of these a9 validation word surveys? I always get nervous when they could be checked against other workers answers. Got burnt in a mass rejection this way.
They are broken anyways. Often the submit button isn't there.

RaffRiffofTurk

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: chat with a famous celebrity | PANDA
Requester: Seth [AVS5XNNUL0RZQ] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 2.33 Communicativity
★★★★★ 3.60 Generosity
★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 21 | TOS Flags: 1
Submit a new TO review
Description: have a meaningful chat of at least 11 turns(turn=back and forth) with my bot that simulates Miss Piggy
Time: 30 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.70
Qualifications: NonDisclosure is greater than 0;Location is US
If you haven't done some version of this before give it a shot. Pay is pretty good, and reasonably amusing.

Reactions: kryss

Randomacts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Title: chat with a famous celebrity | PANDA
Requester: Seth [AVS5XNNUL0RZQ] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 2.33 Communicativity
★★★★★ 3.60 Generosity
★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 21 | TOS Flags: 1
Submit a new TO review
Description: have a meaningful chat of at least 11 turns(turn=back and forth) with my bot that simulates Miss Piggy
Time: 30 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.70
Qualifications: NonDisclosure is greater than 0;Location is US
If you haven't done some version of this before give it a shot. Pay is pretty good, and reasonably amusing.

Where do I get the NonDisclosure qual?

edit: found it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.