08/21 - Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 526

Reactions: sryan66611
D

Deleted member 526

Title: Tag Relevance (WARNING: This HIT may contain adult content. Worker discretion is advised.) | PANDA
Requester: Amazon Requester Inc. - A9 Data Validation [A3HLF55H6JSTI0] (TO)
TO Ratings:

????? 3.68 Communicativity
????? 2.67 Generosity
????? 4.23 Fairness
????? 4.08 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 107
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: Answer questions about an image.
Time: 3 minutes
Hits Available: 192
Reward: $0.01
Qualifications: Blocked has not been granted; Category Validation Qualification is 10; Location is US; Adult Content Qualification is 1

Reactions: sryan66611

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
About the Jake Street blocks:

Jacob Forest <jacob.william.forest@gmail.com>
11:38 PM (21 minutes ago)

to me

Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me with your concerns. I am experimenting with survey response rates based on different means of qualifying workers for multiple batches of the same survey (ie qualifications versus temporary blocks). I assure you, just as the note on the block indicated, the block is very much temporary and will be removed tonight.

To give you a slight look behind the curtain, my first batch was initially getting a very solid response rate. This tapered off to a slow trickle of responses (which is not surprising). Initially, I used a qualification so that I could launch new batches without having repeats in my data set, but these later batches never received the initial numbers that I saw on the first batch.

After this, I ran experiments on increasing pay. Rates of $0.50, $0.55, and $0.60 did not have a statistically significant impact on response rate. Today, I wanted to test the effect of using very temporary blocks instead to see if it appreciably increased response levels. After looking into Amazon's policy, my understanding is that as long as the blocks are removed in a short time span then workers would not be harmed, though on further reading it seems that the policy is murky at best. My hypothesis was that workers were not as keen to sort through their qualifications before taking a survey and that using the block method would dramatically increase response rate.

Surprisingly, it actually decreased response rate significantly. Due to this, as well as the negative feedback from a number of workers, I am ending this part of my experiment early and will be reversing all blocks tonight. You have my apologies for any stress this may have caused. I truly value the effort of turkers and my project would not be possible without you!

Regards,
Jake Street
That should go on the Mturk Hall of Fame for requesters.

Reactions: Cmoney

Cmoney

Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
About the Jake Street blocks:

Jacob Forest <jacob.william.forest@gmail.com>
11:38 PM (21 minutes ago)

to me

Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me with your concerns. I am experimenting with survey response rates based on different means of qualifying workers for multiple batches of the same survey (ie qualifications versus temporary blocks). I assure you, just as the note on the block indicated, the block is very much temporary and will be removed tonight.

To give you a slight look behind the curtain, my first batch was initially getting a very solid response rate. This tapered off to a slow trickle of responses (which is not surprising). Initially, I used a qualification so that I could launch new batches without having repeats in my data set, but these later batches never received the initial numbers that I saw on the first batch.

After this, I ran experiments on increasing pay. Rates of $0.50, $0.55, and $0.60 did not have a statistically significant impact on response rate. Today, I wanted to test the effect of using very temporary blocks instead to see if it appreciably increased response levels. After looking into Amazon's policy, my understanding is that as long as the blocks are removed in a short time span then workers would not be harmed, though on further reading it seems that the policy is murky at best. My hypothesis was that workers were not as keen to sort through their qualifications before taking a survey and that using the block method would dramatically increase response rate.

Surprisingly, it actually decreased response rate significantly. Due to this, as well as the negative feedback from a number of workers, I am ending this part of my experiment early and will be reversing all blocks tonight. You have my apologies for any stress this may have caused. I truly value the effort of turkers and my project would not be possible without you!

Regards,
Jake Street
Got the same SMDH

Reactions: The Bad Ash

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
every now and then you get burned (sometimes badly) but i will always live by that motto

511,215—
... Approved 509,19799.9594%
... Rejected 2070.0406%
... Pending (4,954 ≥ 99%) (26,688 ≥ 95%)1,811
99.9595%
99.6053%

I agree. Those 83 are a huge chunk of my rejections. That's going to have to happen a lot to ever drop below 99.
I'm only pissed about the money and the issue isn't over.

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Short survey on current economic issues | PANDA
Requester: Jake Street [A2OVDL5509D4VS] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 5.00 Communicativity
★★★★ 4.67 Generosity
★★★★★ 3.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 6 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: This academic survey will take about 4 minutes, asking questions about economic issues and collecting demographic data
Time: 60 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.55
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 98;JakeS S2017 Past completion has not been granted;Location is US

Reactions: The Bad Ash
Status
Not open for further replies.