09/20 - Toum Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Can I ask you a random question? I'm gonna anyway. So, given the choice, do you like to have all of the information, like garlic processing in China, regardless of whether or not it's negative or positive? As in, all information increases understanding making it easier to make decisions. Or, do you feel that ignorance is bliss, and you would have been happier if I had never mentioned it?
Good morning! :coffee3:

Not directed at me, but I like to have all the information! I think in this day and age it's almost impossible for anyone to be completely 'ethical' but just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you can't make informed choices in some areas of life.

I stopped buying anything but American shrimp at home because most foreign shrimp is produced with slave labor. I've only bought peeled garlic a few times (my 4 year old likes to help peel it), but I almost certainly won't buy pre-peeled again after reading this :/ Coffee and chocolate are my other "vote-with-dollars" foods.
What Sondi @Sondi said, 100%. This will absolutely change how I buy and use garlic now (and will get me to watch that series finally, so ty for that) in the same way in which reading the AP expose on shrimp linked above changed how I buy shrimp. And aquaculture/shrimp farming is taking off just south of here now and in several places in the midwest IIRC, so hopefully soon there will be no reason to buy imported shrimp whatsoever. (Gulf shrimp is everpresent here but...the Gulf is literally a dump. Why would anyone want to eat out of that?)

I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone to make ethical purchasing decisions 100% of the time, it takes a lot of time and effort to be informed. But we should also all be making some sort of effort to be more informed about our world, how it operates, and how it is changing. Information is power and ignorance is ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerami
Status
Not open for further replies.