10/03 - She-Ra Princess of Power Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Thank you. I wonder if brain injuries and such can actually change a person from who they were to someone they now become. Of course so do the people who know how to do the research. I remember my friend's mom saying something to me that haunts me to this day. She told me she'd lost her daughter to that brain disease. She no longer was the daughter she knew. She didn't mean it in a mean way, more a hurt way and that is what makes it so haunting. In some of those tumors as you know I'm sure, they destroy frontal lobe tissue when they work on getting rid of the tumors and that can change people.
Brain surgery, on any part, can change you significantly. That's why they prefer to operate on your brain while you're awake, so they can keep asking you questions to see if your answers change.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. I wonder if brain injuries and such can actually change a person from who they were to someone they now become. Of course so do the people who know how to do the research. I remember my friend's mom saying something to me that haunts me to this day. She told me she'd lost her daughter to that brain disease. She no longer was the daughter she knew. She didn't mean it in a mean way, more a hurt way and that is what makes it so haunting. In some of those tumors as you know I'm sure, they destroy frontal lobe tissue when they work on getting rid of the tumors and that can change people.
There's a good likelihood I'm much more different now than I realize if I take into account most of the people I knew before the cancer aren't really in my life anymore. That's a question I should probably ask. When you can't remember lots of details about huge chunks of your previous life you are probably the worst authority on the matter. I do sometimes get VERY frustrated at how much slower I am now than I was before. I remember being very intelligent and my thought process now is much more muddled and sluggish in comparison. There's a lot more static on the frequency to push through.

cassius

Reaction score
Brain surgery, on any part, can change you significantly. That's why they prefer to operate on your brain while you're awake, so they can keep asking you questions to see if your answers change.
That and there is not supposed to be a lot of pain involved in operating on the brain. So you can be awake and the less fentanyl they give you the better off you are.

PhantomCatt

Sweet & Sassy
Reaction score
Today's Projected Earnings: $101.08 (Exported from Mturk Suite v1.25.7)
HITsValue
Viewed1563$109.41
Submitted1444$101.08
Approved1444$101.08
Returned115$8.05
BonusesN/A$0.00

My bed is screaming my name at this point. I'll catch y'all later on :bode:

cassius

Reaction score
There's a good likelihood I'm much more different now than I realize if I take into account most of the people I knew before the cancer aren't really in my life anymore. That's a question I should probably ask. When you can't remember lots of details about huge chunks of your previous life you are probably the worst authority on the matter. I do sometimes get VERY frustrated at how much slower I am now than I was before. I remember being very intelligent and my thought process now is much more muddled and sluggish in comparison. There's a lot more static on the frequency to push through.
You might be more intelligent now that you are aware of what is going on. I can't remember big chunks of my life and as far as i know don't have a brain injury but I know why I can't remember. Nor do i want too which is why I like to sleep with the TV or radio on. They block out the city noise and they block out dreams that are memories which then get confused with present reality. And i don't think anyone remembers the past as it was. Our brains do their own number on it and our version of the reality becomes our own. Someone else will relate a totally different version. So really, the past is not worth thinking or talking about I think. We just have to take the lessons learned and absorb them and let the rest go.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
ROFL! I was just typing blessing and curse about remembering everything! Luckily, I do remember but, my ASD makes it so I have to actually put in effort to care, which has taken years to learn how to act sincere about a made-up feeling but, whatev's. If I don't put any effort in, I just couldn't give a shit because I'm wired not to and I come off as cold or aloof. To me it's just rational and logical.Like a fucking Vulcan.:(

"Oh. Your pet died. Damn, I'm hungry. Are you hungry?"
Wait, he looks sad. What's the sad one again? Oh, yeah.
"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry. That really sucks."
God, I hope that was the right one.
Well, he didn't make a strange face. Yup. Nailed it.

I still can't wrap my brain around the blame thing. I've tried for 40 years. I know the definition but I can't figure out why you would need to invent a word for that in the first place. I see it and I don't even think about who did it. How would that change the situation I find myself in, whatever that may be. I'm odd.
Don't worry. I already know.:p

EDIT It does make me feel different from everyone. And, it's not a visible difference so, obviously, people don't adjust or account for it.:)
In person I've been accused of being on the spectrum or even being a sociopath (emotionally) multiple times. Here on the internet I get accused of being condescending with alarming frequency. I know those feels all too well... it does set you apart... you feel out of sync with the world around you... or rather, out of sync with the people around you I suppose. I'm fairly certain I do feel real emotions... maybe not the entire range of emotions most people feel, some descriptions mystify me... but obviously I can't truly know anyone else' experience to compare with my own... Wittgensteins beetle and all that.

Reactions: Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
That and there is not supposed to be a lot of pain involved in operating on the brain. So you can be awake and the less fentanyl they give you the better off you are.
There's not supposed to be much pain below the skin. That's usually simulated pain created by your brain in a panic situation to force you to react to danger or damage.
You might be more intelligent now that you are aware of what is going on. I can't remember big chunks of my life and as far as i know don't have a brain injury but I know why I can't remember. Nor do i want too which is why I like to sleep with the TV or radio on. They block out the city noise and they block out dreams that are memories which then get confused with present reality. And i don't think anyone remembers the past as it was. Our brains do their own number on it and our version of the reality becomes our own. Someone else will relate a totally different version. So really, the past is not worth thinking or talking about I think. We just have to take the lessons learned and absorb them and let the rest go.
Yeah, when you are looking at stuff, you aren't even really see it. What you are "seeing" is an analog representation (made in your brain) of the reflection if the thing. Obviously, we all process differently so, the data is flawed from the start because it's a rebuild or copy. And, copies are never perfect. If you aren't seeing correctly, due to subconscious bias, then you couldn't remember accurately. Only accurately, from your perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: cassius and Blue

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
There could be some truth in that, I could just be pessimistic. I do feel like I am capable of making fewer abstract connections between pieces of data than before... and I definitely feel like the whole decision making/data analysis process feels like swimming through jello compared to how I remember feeling before.

Memory itself is a pretty tricky thing to begin with though. I'm definitely no expert on the subject... but as I understand it we really don't have a good understanding of what memory is, how it is encoded, and how it is played back. Some of the things we suspect (if we discount the whole "we are living in a simulation" theory) is that the process of recalling a memory changes it every time... it seems to sort of get re-written every time we recall a previous event. Emphasis gets places on new areas... new details get added or removed... biases change over time... our perception of events is a filter that constantly changes in both density and tint.

CloudNine

Reaction score
Oh yes my friend. Capped on them last night, was gonna get up at 3am to do more but I gotta work today so that's no bueno.

I'm surprised you didn't see them at 200k last night :eek:
I was out last night. :( Already at $60 so i'm pretty bummed about how much i could have made on these yesterday

cassius

Reaction score
There could be some truth in that, I could just be pessimistic. I do feel like I am capable of making fewer abstract connections between pieces of data than before... and I definitely feel like the whole decision making/data analysis process feels like swimming through jello compared to how I remember feeling before.

Memory itself is a pretty tricky thing to begin with though. I'm definitely no expert on the subject... but as I understand it we really don't have a good understanding of what memory is, how it is encoded, and how it is played back. Some of the things we suspect (if we discount the whole "we are living in a simulation" theory) is that the process of recalling a memory changes it every time... it seems to sort of get re-written every time we recall a previous event. Emphasis gets places on new areas... new details get added or removed... biases change over time... our perception of events is a filter that constantly changes in both density and tint.
Some years after my mother passed I had this reocurring dream that ihad to work through. The dream was real to me in my sleep. I got this idea that she was alive and buried. Of course in my sleeping state I was upset. I remembered the dream but it didn't take over my life during the day. Then at night it would come again and progress until the night I got everyone i needed together in the dream, family, my father, son, county officials, whoever I needed to solve this problem. She was released from her grave in that dream and she stopped haunting me. I have no idea what it meant. I have read lately with all the bodies stacking up from heroin overdoses that findings show heroin somehow prevents the body from completely dying until up to a week or so of death pronounced. Mom had cancer and was in much pain and on morphine. Maybe it was something residual that I picked up on. Don't know. Don't want to know. Just don't want that dream again.

Reactions: Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.