11/07 - Maserati Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostlyConfused

Reaction score
I do have a question for anyone that has the time/expertise on finding the information...
I've been doing market research for about 9 billion years before I start trying to sell handmade projects. I crochet, and I make all sorts of things, from trash cans, to pride bracelets, to stuffed animals. But I keep not really "starting" what I mean to do...honestly, what have you guys found as the best routes for just kinda...starting? I have a few choice places I'd like to sell, but beyond that I've been stuck in this "what should I do" rut for so long...
I have a friend who has a very successful crochet etsy shop. And her success is that she has ONE item (somewhat customizable) that she sells. She mass produces them, makes them SUPER cute and themes for everything (Mom life, planner girl, every holiday, election related, etc). That's it.

I keep thinking I need to start and I try (I knit and I knit well) but the pieces I make are complicated, take longer and I've seen enough to know that people won't pay for my AWESOME customized convertible fingerless gloves/mitts compared to the $25 for a pair of quickly made (bulky yarn, big needles and an easy pattern). In comparison mine would probably have to be $60 to turn a profit. :/
I can knit these adorable bear hoods, the LEAST I could sell would be $35 and I wouldn't be paid for my time, it would barely cover my good yarn and shipping. :/ You can find them crocheted for $35 (and crochet has an open weave, and it takes less time to make one). Maybe I just have no faith in people. But in my experience people won't pay what a hand knit item is worth. :/
For you if you are a great crochet-er, find ONE item that is fast to make, doesn't take super high quality yarn and become an expert in that one thing. Slowly add other things to your shop as you gain success.

My $0.02

Reactions: jan and Kessikitty

Johnnyrs

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
It's "Pay Bills' day. :( But I did buy an Echo yesterday so I have to make money to justify buying something unnecessary.
I actually have two echo's now. I don't regret it at all. I can play music while I work or listen to the news if I want. Got my lights and fan set up with it too so I can turn them on or off with a command. It's nice until other products get into the market and then we will see who wins. I am sure Google has something coming up a bit better in the future with all their voice command hits on mturk which sound very similar to commands I give to my echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.