where do you fall with that number

Reactions: JenniLeigh

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
just learned that the average us yearly salary is $44,500 per year via a survey

where do you fall with that number
Hmm.. "US Household Income According to the Census ACS survey, the median household income for the United States was $55,775 in 2015, the latest data available." From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

Are there really that many single member households that the average person makes $44k but the average household is $55k? Somehow that math doesn't seem to math up.

Reactions: Vanyanka and Peachy

Caturk

Alias PizzaCat
Reaction score
They didn't say if single or 2-salary family. If I were making anything near that, I wouldn't be here.

Caturk

Alias PizzaCat
Reaction score
Hmm.. "US Household Income According to the Census ACS survey, the median household income for the United States was $55,775 in 2015, the latest data available." From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

Are there really that many single member households that the average person makes $44k but the average household is $55k? Somehow that math doesn't seem to math up.
Median isn't average, it's the number precisely in the middle. Average =all salaries divided by population.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Median isn't average, it's the number precisely in the middle. Average =all salaries divided by population.
So that Wikipedia page says the mean is $72,641/year for a household. I guess that's closer to two people each earning $44k?

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah, Caturk is correct, median and average/mean aren't the same thing. Median is in the middle of what the range is... Math is a bitch with terms. :(

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Caturk is correct, median and average/mean aren't the same thing. Median is in the middle of what the range is... Math is a bitch with terms. :(
I fucking hate math...why do I remember this shit?

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I read further in the Wikipedia page and found the mean number. I jumped the gun and copied the median number first. :)

TissueHime

Thread Maker Extraordinaire
Threaderator
Reaction score
55 minutes left for dibs!
if you do call it, please tag me or else I might miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.