12/17 - Manic Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Even if my parents couldn't have helped me financially at the time (and they totally could have), they could have at least helped me pick a college and helped me with the loans and figuring all that b.s out. High school didn't teach kids about student loan debt at all back then. Maybe they do now. All they ever did was ASSUME you're going to college because back then you just HAD TO.
I graduated in 2012 and they told us about student loans and we shouldn't take them but should instead have family help us. lmao. Also, when I was in 8th grade they had 11th graders visit to tell us how important college was and how if we didn't go we'd end up working at a gas station for the rest of our lives or homeless. Jokes on them, I have a college degree and I'm still basically like that. :thumbup:

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
While we are on the subject, anyone have any good online colleges to recommend that won't put me largely in debt? (buying a house is in our 5 year plan, so probably should even add any more debt) I've been thinking about going back to school and keep putting it off. Mostly because I'm not positive what I wanna be when I grow up, and also because of more debt.
https://www.wgu.edu/

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
While we are on the subject, anyone have any good online colleges to recommend that won't put me largely in debt? (buying a house is in our 5 year plan, so probably should even add any more debt) I've been thinking about going back to school and keep putting it off. Mostly because I'm not positive what I wanna be when I grow up, and also because of more debt.
Honestly, if you're at all interested in any trade, I'd look into going to trade school. My friends who went to trade school instead of college are all a lot better off than the rest of us. Financially, at least.

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I would avoid online degrees, for the most part nobody takes them seriously.

Reactions: Despairagus

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
Personally I would avoid online degrees, for the most part nobody takes them seriously.
most people I know who got online degrees like Metallica @Metallica to check a box.

however, I do have a friend going to Penn State online and she's loved the experience so far. She is in a psych degree with end goal of being a sports psychologist. She's a competitive equestrian (rolex 3 day eventing/Olympic type stuff.)

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
lol, i've got a job now and a bunch of things tying me down so I can't do anything that requires me leaving. those choices would've need to have been made about 10 years ago. i got dependent mouths to feed.
Bummer. Except for the dependents part. :)

Reactions: savvy

turkinlight

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm halfway torn between learning how to do them on the hopes they become closed qual and saying...not worth the nickel. The state quals tell me that it's probably avoiding states they have a business presence in.

Reactions: savvy

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
most people I know who got online degrees like Metallica @Metallica to check a box.

however, I do have a friend going to Penn State online and she's loved the experience so far. She is in a psych degree with end goal of being a sports psychologist. She's a competitive equestrian (rolex 3 day eventing/Olympic type stuff.)
yea, online degrees from Major Uni's are the exception

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
"Surprisingly Affordable
Graduate with less student debt—or none at all.
By going faster, you save even more."

This already sounds pretty great, 10 seconds in. Thanks man! :thumbup:
It all sounds like any other shady online diploma mill at first but it isn't. Had no problems with it at all. The way they structure their courses are unique in that you can complete as many as you are able to within a single semester for the same cost. Haven't had any trouble breaking into the defense contractor industry with it.

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'd also like to let everyone know that a beast called "Low Residency" exists, and it's something major universities do. It's not for everyone and requires an awful lot of willpower. BUT it's cheaper.

greg

Hey that tickles
Reaction score
While we are on the subject, anyone have any good online colleges to recommend that won't put me largely in debt? (buying a house is in our 5 year plan, so probably shouldn't even add any more debt) I've been thinking about going back to school and keep putting it off. Mostly because I'm not positive what I wanna be when I grow up, and also because of more debt.

Reactions: ChristopherASA

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
It all sounds like any other shady online diploma mill at first but it isn't. Had no problems with it at all. The way they structure their courses are unique in that you can complete as many as you are able to within a single semester for the same cost. Haven't had any trouble breaking into the defense contractor industry with it.
my ex went there for two semesters - he only stopped because they kept bumping him up without a degree (he went from 31k when I met him to 100k when he left me and all he has is a GED) so he stopped investing in it.

Maria Tortilla

Dave Grohl is my spirit animal
Contributor
Reaction score
I graduated in 2012 and they told us about student loans and we shouldn't take them but should instead have family help us. lmao. Also, when I was in 8th grade they had 11th graders visit to tell us how important college was and how if we didn't go we'd end up working at a gas station for the rest of our lives or homeless. Jokes on them, I have a college degree and I'm still basically like that. :thumbup:
I graduated in 2002, so I guess there wasn't much improvement in 10 years. If my kids ever want to go to college I'll explain to them how broke I still am at that point and I'll help them pick a nice two year college if they REALLY want to go. And that I'll probably only be able to pay for their books (if books are still a thing at that point).

Debatesmith

I post GIF's more than I actually work
Contributor
Reaction score
PE $15.

roughly $10 of that is from Prolific so far today.

Come on, turk. Red Dead 2 isn't going to buy itself.
Don't get it. Its awful.....and by awful I mean, it's the most immersive game ever created and seasons will change outside your window while you waste away in that fucking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.