12/19 - Red Panda Monday!

Have you voted for Crowd Pleaser of the Year?

• Yes, I did!

• No, but I will right now! goo.gl/D5UJvo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not A Robot

VERIFIED HUMAN
Contributor
Reaction score
problem in the POS world is that we design for the present and as far into the future as we can assuming no massive changes would have to be made and we can't necessarily plan for things like changes in PII security or any of the other great numbers of security certifications that come out in the future so we essentially have to redesign what's under the hood even if we don't change the UI much. that generally necessitates hardware changes because let's face it: what once ran beautifully on a 1 GB hard drive barely fits a 5 GB drive even just a few years later. the expense sucks for sure for the companies we work with especially if said company is a mom and pop shop but we've now got systems in place specifically to serve the small businesses whereas a couple years ago we really didn't.
Some places still use mechanical registers that are older than some of the people I graduated with. That being said, I'm more specifically worried about things that have a 1 or 2 year life span, like phones, or even the ever-shortening life span of consoles, and other hand held devices. tablets, whatever.

POS terminals that eventually need hardware changes could have been designed to account for future hardware changes. PCs do it. Why can't a POS terminal? You can pretty well future proof anything to an extent, but there's no money in that for businesses. They aren't worried about the user, they are worried about the bottom line.

But blah, this is something I guess I don't want to get into too much now that I started talking about it. It depresses me. I'm getting off.

Have a good night everyone!

VGB

dr. peepee poopoo
Reaction score

Starslip

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Collect data from a LinkedIn profile | PANDA
Requester: Shirley Li [A2CVVCODXDVJO6] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☢☢☢☢☢ 0.00 Communicativity
☢☢☢☢☢ 0.00 Generosity
☢☢☢☢☢ 0.00 Fairness
☢☢☢☢☢ 0.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 1
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)
Description: Review the given LinkedIn profile and collect the information as requested.
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 741
Reward: $0.50
Qualifications: Masters has been granted

here's an easy batch
People really like to stuff keywords on their linkedin profiles apparently

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh man! I carried mine everywhere. I was the only kid with one, no matter how goofy it was, it was still cool! I used to use it from 11pm to 7am for "free" nights and weekends, lol. I got my first bill of over $1000 and I was told that they "shut down" the towers on off-peak times, like nights and weekends. I was roaming all the time, like that's a necessary charge!? I waited until the nokia 5110 came out. No more car battery in a bag with a curlyQ cord! So silly.
:eyeroll:
I got one from my job in 1991ish soon after I graduated college (and the 18 month training program). I was one of the first people in our district to get one. All the old fogies didn't want to be connected. The crew would laugh at the newbie engineer with his suitcase to go. They didn't laugh long when I could get an answer to a question from my boss in 5 minutes rather than the 1 hour turn around it would take to drive back to the office. So instead of lollygagging while I solved the problem they were back to work right away.

Reactions: Horse Feathers

Horse Feathers

There's no future in time travel.
Contributor
Reaction score
I got one from my job in 1991ish soon after I graduated college (and the 18 month training program). I was one of the first people in our district to get one. All the old fogies didn't want to be connected. The crew would laugh at the newbie engineer with his suitcase to go. They didn't laugh long when I could get an answer to a question from my boss in 5 minutes rather than the 1 hour turn around it would take to drive back to the office. So instead of lollygagging while I solved the problem they were back to work right away.
My entire career from the late 70's on was mostly on the road. 40 to 60k miles a year. Cellphones were a godsend after years of getting paged and then stopping at a c-store/truck stop and try to make a call from the pay phone outside.

Reactions: hyway

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like I wasn't eligible for the majority of the surveys I tried to do today, either because I'd done them before or because I was screened out/not qualified.

Reactions: Starslip

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score
My entire career from the late 70's on was mostly on the road. 40 to 60k miles a year. Cellphones were a godsend after years of getting paged and then stopping at a c-store/truck stop and try to make a call from the pay phone outside.
We were a pretty rural area, it was a long way between payphones .

Reactions: Horse Feathers

Kallee

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Categorization Experiment(~ 10 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Cocosci Lab at UC Berkeley [AHG3DFQ65ESGY] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★ 4.46 Communicativity
★★★★ 4.18 Generosity
★★★★ 4.87 Fairness
★★★★ 4.86 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 291 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: A 10-minutes categorization experiment that pays $1.00
Time: 20 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 500;HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 98;Exc: [628479713-29094] has not been granted;Location is one of: US

Caturk

Alias PizzaCat
Reaction score
:cheers::celebrate::cheers:
I don't trust the new flip-phone technology. I conduct all my business only one way, in style.

You and Peachy should have a standup comedy routine. The 2 of you are really goofy. The smilies were supposed to be down here.:)

Last edited:

Caturk

Alias PizzaCat
Reaction score

This one is pretty new. You're like using the outside screen. The you're like "BAM!"
All your friends are like, "woah! Is it a bigger screen on the inside!?"
"Hell naw! Same damn size, batchez! Whuh whuh!"
No resemblance to my $12 phone. And all my friends hve flip-phones too. They're really excellent at making phone calls.

Caturk

Alias PizzaCat
Reaction score
The pinstripe suit really drives home how unaffordable those were.
The first one I saw, used by a customer, no pinstripe suit, was huge, and I though it didn't have much promise.

Last edited:

Starslip

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
When you have a Ph.D. in chemical engineering but list Excel and Microsoft Office in your top skills...

o_O

Caturk

Alias PizzaCat
Reaction score
They were really expensive. I remember even for businessmen, it took us several successful delivered shipments of cocaine to save enough money to buy one.
Oh, so I was right. How old do you think the photo is?

Status
Not open for further replies.