Books, Books, Books

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Does anyone use Overdrive? My public library offers access to it but I've never tried it. I have a Kindle Fire. My project today is to figure out how to set it all up. Are there any good books on Overdrive? Do they have recent publications or just older stuff? Any thoughts on the Overdrive thing and how to best use it?
Selection of non-public-domain material on Overdrive depends on what your particular library purchases access to (they have to buy the ebook licenses of their choice, one by one just like buying physical books, and each ebook can only be lent out to simultaneous patrons in the quantities that library purchases). It's easy to use with Kindles: https://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481616-getting-started-with-kindle-ereaders - basically the library's Overdrive site will forward you to an Amazon page to complete the Kindle file acquisition, you can read it like any purchased Kindle ebook, and then the file will just disappear from your device/s when your library's lending duration is up.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

broomperson

Jeopardy! champion. Slayer of Austin.
Contributor
Reaction score
$1.99 for the Kindle version the book "Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race" by Margot Lee Shetterly. It has great reviews. If anyone else buys it, let me know so we can talk about it. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Figures-American-Untold-Mathematicians-ebook/dp/B0166JFFD0
Sadly the Nook version wasn't also on sale. I've been wanting to read it for a while. I guess if it's still on sale I can get it with my husband's account on the Kindle app.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
My brain randomly reminded me of the Valdemar Saga by Mercedes Lackey

http://valdemar.wikia.com/wiki/Books_by_chronological_order

Super long series that span centuries. You can really see the evolution of the society, politics, and best of all magic. It's definitely Fantasy but it's rooted in a fairly logical world, imo. Full disclosure: I had not read every book but I believe I've read 4 or 5 of the trilogies. Plus they are older books so they should be at your library!

usmcPHP

echo $somethingCool
Reaction score
This is an absolute must read: Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. It's an apocalyptic sci-fi novel that honestly everyone would really enjoy - now my favorite book, it was that good.

BirdPerson.

i'm so tired. Sheep are counting me.
Reaction score
I've been reading a load of eastern philosophy books lately and they're pretty damn cool, the kind that were written by martial artists but people try applying to pretty much anything they can... i will admit i first picked one up hoping it would help me to beat my friend's ass next time we were sparring, but it ended up actually being really interesting. Especially since the first one i read just happened to be written by a guy that spent most of his life working for a shogun and his line - but it was the same shogun who some English guy that i have some other book about worked for, Ieyasu something... i don't remember exactly hahah. Anyways there wasn't much of a point to this but i'm bored and just thought it was a cool little coincidence, small world i guess.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
My brain randomly reminded me of the Valdemar Saga by Mercedes Lackey

http://valdemar.wikia.com/wiki/Books_by_chronological_order

Super long series that span centuries. You can really see the evolution of the society, politics, and best of all magic. It's definitely Fantasy but it's rooted in a fairly logical world, imo. Full disclosure: I had not read every book but I believe I've read 4 or 5 of the trilogies. Plus they are older books so they should be at your library!
+100 to this.

Reactions: MerryLou

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
All I do with my life these days is read Michael McDowell. I would highly suggest this mode of living. I've recommended his book, "The Elementals" somewhere on the forum before but I had to put another plug in for this author. He writes horror but I guess it could also be described as southern gothic? Whatever it is, I'm in love.

https://www.amazon.com/Elementals-Michael-McDowell-ebook/dp/B00KXAQ7NQ

TobyF

Dummy
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
arrives on tuesday. paid $20 for a book. cause I like collecting and not in a kindle. A book about life and mental illness and some pro wrestling thrown in.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
This just came in the mail for me ( Pleco @Honorable Judge Pleco );

ed: I really really like weird animal stories
I like that after being in the forum day after day you thought, " You know what, I need more talking mice in my life". That looks interesting though! Let me know if it's an enjoyable read, I might pick it up for a change of pace.

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I like that after being in the forum day after day you thought, " You know what, I need more talking mice in my life". That looks interesting though! Let me know if it's an enjoyable read, I might pick it up for a change of pace.
I've been reading talking animal books for 2/3 of my life, thank you very much :p But I will let you know! I like Garry Kilworth's stuff generally (the Welkin Weasels series is really fun).

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been reading talking animal books for 2/3 of my life, thank you very much :p But I will let you know! I like Garry Kilworth's stuff generally (the Welkin Weasels series is really fun).
I think the last talking animal book I read was the Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I think the last talking animal book I read was the Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
I loved that series as a kid :) So many I want to buy for my son to read in a couple years.. Catwings (adorbs), Cricket in Times Square, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Redwall, Wind in the Willows, a bunch by Avi - Then later the Warriors series came along, Hermux Tantamoq mysteries were awesome.. now there's so many young adult/kid ones I can't keep track.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I loved that series as a kid :) So many I want to buy for my son to read in a couple years.. Catwings (adorbs), Cricket in Times Square, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Redwall, Wind in the Willows, a bunch by Avi - Then later the Warriors series came along, Hermux Tantamoq mysteries were awesome.. now there's so many young adult/kid ones I can't keep track.
Um, I didn't know until now that NIMH was more than one book, so I'm gonna go ahead and need to find more of those to relive them and make my sister read them for class. >.>