Books, Books, Books

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
My latest nonfiction read wasn't originally on my A-Z challenge list but my God, it's amazing. I feel like the author is picking my brain. It's called Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, and it's all about the causes and effects of vulnerability and how to overcome fear of it. She's a research professor who has spent ~20 years researching vulnerability and shame. It's super insightful and I recommend everyone go read it right this minute.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
I recently finished Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman and really enjoyed it. It's about psychology, primarily common logical fallacies and biases. It describes a process of how people think and how vulnerable we are to erroneous intuition. The author provides a lot of examples which do a good job of letting you know that you're not special and have the same fallacies as everyone else :blep: It's well written, managing to never be overly dense.

It was particularly interesting to me as a turker because it goes over some major psychological studies in the past few years and their findings, studies that survey requesters on Mturk like to replicate or slightly alter. Had quite a few, a ha! moments as to why a lot of common survey questions get asked.

Would recommend to anyone with any interest in psychology (and maybe economics.)

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I recently finished Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman and really enjoyed it. It's about psychology, primarily common logical fallacies and biases. It describes a process of how people think and how vulnerable we are to erroneous intuition. The author provides a lot of examples which do a good job of letting you know that you're not special and have the same fallacies as everyone else :blep: It's well written, managing to never be overly dense.

It was particularly interesting to me as a turker because it goes over some major psychological studies in the past few years and their findings, studies that survey requesters on Mturk like to replicate or slightly alter. Had quite a few, a ha! moments as to why a lot of common survey questions get asked.

Would recommend to anyone with any interest in psychology (and maybe economics.)
I love learning about logical fallacies and 'wrong thinking' because my God I'm so susceptible to them. Definitely adding this to my to-read list

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
What are everyone's reading goals this year? I almost met my numbers goal but I didn't branch out much. I'm currently looking at different reading challenges, such as the following but obviously not linked to a specific book store.

P.S. I love following people on Good Reads so DM me if you wanna be book buddies. :wink:

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
What are everyone's reading goals this year? I almost met my numbers goal but I didn't branch out much. I'm currently looking at different reading challenges, such as the following but obviously not linked to a specific book store.

P.S. I love following people on Good Reads so DM me if you wanna be book buddies. :wink:
Trying to read more than I did last year and I would like to try to venture away a bit from the usual fantasy and sci-fi stuff that I tend to gravitate towards. I only read two books last year that didn't fall under either of those categories, but they were very refreshing.

Reactions: Vanyanka

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Trying to read more than I did last year and I would like to try to venture away a bit from the usual fantasy and sci-fi stuff that I tend to gravitate towards. I only read two books last year that didn't fall under either of those categories, but they were very refreshing.
Did you count "The Power" as fantasy?

Reactions: aveline

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I think the only non-fantasy/sci-fi that I read last year was Where the Crawdads Sing and Where the Forest Meets the Stars. I thoroughly enjoyed Where the Crawdads Sing. Where the Forest Meets the Stars was mediocre, but sweet.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

I set my goal last year at 20 books, I doubled it. This year I put it at 40. I'll be your book buddy! Idk how to share my profile though

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score

My goal is 360 books

Reactions: aveline

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
I’m replacing some of my other habits with reading this year

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
I realize that’s a big jump. 6 to 360
It is what it is
I want to read more
I want to get smarter
I want to expand my mind

Reactions: Vanyanka

Beak

Reaction score
??? got a quarantine date lined up with this as well. Few other Cosmere books I need to catch up on too. Yay social distancing?

Sanderson is always a good choice. Since we're all on lockdown I decided to go through Malazan... again. Wish there were more series like it. Been through it like 5 times now and still finding new things.

I love that Sanderson writes so much but it can be frustrating because he has so many series going at once. I'm impatient and want series to be finished. At some point I'd like to read EVERYTHING of his again once he's done with all the series he has going and planned. Assuming he and I both live that long.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Sanderson is always a good choice. Since we're all on lockdown I decided to go through Malazan... again. Wish there were more series like it. Been through it like 5 times now and still finding new things.

I love that Sanderson writes so much but it can be frustrating because he has so many series going at once. I'm impatient and want series to be finished. At some point I'd like to read EVERYTHING of his again once he's done with all the series he has going and planned. Assuming he and I both live that long.
I've only read his Stormlight Archive series, but I loved it. I want to re-read it in physical format but my library doesn't have it.

Reactions: Jaded