• One

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • Two

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Three

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • What is a monitor?

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Why yes, that is a typo. Should be HOW many monitors.

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score

I know, it looks the same.

But I built the PC now, so what used to be my secondary monitor is now the primary monitor. I use the laptop for chatting, music, forum, and a survey scraper. Now I do all my work on the super fast fancy new computer.

Anyone browsing through this thread, building a PC really is easier then you think. I kept panicking and heading to chat rooms but then solving the problem on my own seconds later. I literally knew NOTHING about computers a month ago.

Wanna give a shout out to my homies in the music room anyways for holding my hand. <3
i'm a fan of the tiny scrapers

also, specs?

Last edited:
Reactions: YAHU

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm a fan of the tiny scrapers

also, specs?
CPU: Intel i3-4160
GPU: GTX 950 (I actually have to send this back because it's not working right, so I'm using onboard graphics right now)
Ram: 8gb
Mobo: MSI H81m-P33
and idk some bronze rated power supply that doesn't do much for performance until the damn power cable gets knocked by a dog or curious kitty.

After I get a bigger monitor to regale this one back to it's rightful position as second, I plan on getting another 8gb ram. then more peripherals probably. I'm using my headset at max volume for alert dings right now hahaha.

Reactions: ducky

ItsAmyTee

Corgo
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
My husband is building me a desktop for Christmas! I'm thinking of having him make one that's optimized for turking. I know next to nothing about computer guts, so I'm at a loss as to what to tell him to do. Does anyone have any hardware recommendations? Does that stuff matter as much as peripherals?

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
My husband is building me a desktop for Christmas! I'm thinking of having him make one that's optimized for turking. I know next to nothing about computer guts, so I'm at a loss as to what to tell him to do. Does anyone have any hardware recommendations? Does that stuff matter as much as peripherals?
If its just for turking you can really cut corners. I'd get at least 8gb of RAM if you use chrome and have a lot of extensions and windows open (actually 8gb is probably more than enough). you probably don't need an i7, but maybe still get an i5 for whatever other reason? the onboard graphics can probably drive 2 monitors so you wouldn't have to buy a gpu

are you going to do anything else with the computer?

What is the software displayed at the top of the left monitor? Please and thank you!
looks like hit monitor

http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/new-hit-monitor-v2-with-sms-alerts.200/

Reactions: ItsAmyTee and Pleco

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
If its just for turking you can really cut corners. I'd get at least 8gb of RAM if you use chrome and have a lot of extensions and windows open (actually 8gb is probably more than enough). you probably don't need an i7, but maybe still get an i5 for whatever other reason? the onboard graphics can probably drive 2 monitors so you wouldn't have to buy a gpu

are you going to do anything else with the computer?

looks like hit monitor

http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/new-hit-monitor-v2-with-sms-alerts.200/
To this I'd add an SSD, they're really coming down in price lately and they make a huge difference in booting up or when you restart the system, etc. If you don't want to spend a lot get a small one, enough to run Windows at least and you can have a regular hard drive to store stuff.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
To this I'd add an SSD, they're really coming down in price lately and they make a huge difference in booting up or when you restart the system, etc. If you don't want to spend a lot get a small one, enough to run Windows at least and you can have a regular hard drive to store stuff.
SSD just for boot speeds? Because I'm terrible and I just never turn the thing off.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
SSD just for boot speeds? Because I'm terrible and I just never turn the thing off.
Boot speeds are just the most noticeable difference, it can go from taking a minute or two to boot up with a regular hard drive, to a couple of seconds with an SSD. But it makes everything faster, it has no moving parts so it does things instantaneously. If you install Windows on it, every time you boot up programs or search/transfer files or Windows does any of the Windowsy things that it usually does, it'll go much faster on an SSD. And there's no issue with fragmentation like in HDD's, you don't need to defrag an SSD because of the way the data is written.

Reactions: Tigerpants

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
eeeyyy so I got my graphics card in and have my new primary monitor hooked up via hdmi, but I don't know how to make the second monitor work since I don't have the spinny blue bits on the graphics card, just the mobo., but the mobo doesn't have an hdmi port.

am I boned until I get another monitor I can hook up to the graphics card directly?

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
My improved Peach Turk center. Up until a couple months ago I was turking on a 7 year old Dell laptop that was falling apart. The computer I have now is just an Acer, but compared to my old laptop - it's night and day. I plugged my TV in as a second monitor earlier (the screen streaming sports in this picture), but I'll use that usually for HS, etc.

Last edited:

Yuk

Reaction score
eeeyyy so I got my graphics card in and have my new primary monitor hooked up via hdmi, but I don't know how to make the second monitor work since I don't have the spinny blue bits on the graphics card, just the mobo., but the mobo doesn't have an hdmi port.

am I boned until I get another monitor I can hook up to the graphics card directly?
If your graphics card has another hdmi port
https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Gold-Plated-Adapter-Converter-Laptop/dp/B00YC7U0NE

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score

it didnt work when you tried plugging it in to the mobo, or you want it on the graphics card?

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
it didnt work when you tried plugging it in to the mobo, or you want it on the graphics card?
yeah, I plugged it into the mobo, while my main monitor is in the gfx card. My computer just didn't recognize it that way.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out
D

Deleted member 481

Crud, just noticed I have some dead pixels on my monitor. Bought the Dell u2412m in 1/2013 so that's pretty good I guess. Gonna buy a 2nd monitor around xmas time. So, if I have a 24" monitor, I should buy the same " for the 2nd? Guess I'll get another 2412 or the 2415.

Need some speakers as well. Anyone got a recommendation? I mostly use my headphones anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Crud, just noticed I have some dead pixels on my monitor. Bought the Dell u2412m in 1/2013 so that's pretty good I guess. Gonna buy a 2nd monitor around xmas time. So, if I have a 24" monitor, I should buy the same " for the 2nd? Guess I'll get another 2412 or the 2415.

Need some speakers as well. Anyone got a recommendation? I mostly use my headphones anyways.
I got these ones
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHY5F3K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

decent sound, I'm not an audiophile but you know, they're cheap and they make dings.

Reactions: Deleted member 481

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
I just switched from this mouse to This mouse and now my hand hurts becuase I forgot how to use a full size mouse haha.

But having more then 3 buttons is incredible

SquishyFluffkin

Contributor
Reaction score
SPECS:
i5 6600k @3.5 GHz
16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance DDR4 Ram
850 Watt Gold Power Supply
ASUS Z170-A Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 17070
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler